NB1/MSM rear spoiler mounting

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Since there are several folks here with an MSM, and I've met most of you ((stash)) I thought I'd ask this here. I like the look of the bigger MSM rear spoiler better than the hunchback look of the NB1 I currently have. Does anyone know if the mounting points are the same? That will tell me if I can get away with buying just the spoiler, or a complete trunk lid.

I'm hoping that one of you either, a) already knows the answer, or b) will think about it when parked next to someone with the factory spoiler and can take a look for me. I'm going to try it myself when I get home, although it is rare that I see an MSM in my area.

You'll get away with just buying the spoiler and about the mounting points you would need to drill three holes in your trunk lid to mount it.

I have it on my NB2.
Pleasanton.jpg

Thanks Lawrence, I just want to clarify as I'm not sure we are on the same wavelength. Do you have to drill three holes in addition to the ones left from the smaller factory spoiler, or is it three holes to mount it? I already have the smaller spoiler and I don't want holes in the trunk lid that aren't being used as that's a sure recipe for leaks.

Where did you source your spoiler, and how much did it run you?

I'm not sure mine didn't come with a spoiler so I had to drill three holes. I got it off CR.net I don't recall the price.

Thanks for the info Rich. My main question though is how the mounting holes for the MSM spoiler compare to those needed for the standard NB spoiler. If you can answer that you will be a star!

My question is... Will the "hunchback design" of your trunk lid accept the MSM spoiler?

I may be able to take a look at this for you this week. I could always take mine off with lots of pics and measurements for you to compare. Would that work?

As far as I know all NBs have the same trunk shape, since all MSMs have the rear spoiler you don't see it.

Chris, I greatly appreciate the offer but that's too much work. A picture of the underside of the trunk lid showing the fasteners would help if you can get to it easily. If not then I'll just bide my time. I can't get one right now in any event because my MS is shipping and I have to buy a set of COPs so I can install the new supercharger once it all arrives.

Ok, I just found out from someone who is doing this swap that the MSM spoiler has the same three fasteners as the normal NB spoiler. So now I just have to keep my eyes open for one.

Thanks for the info Rich. My main question though is how the mounting holes for the MSM spoiler compare to those needed for the standard NB spoiler. If you can answer that you will be a star!

I got the MSM Spoiler back from the Paint Shop and mounted it to the existing holes for the PEP Spoiler.
There were two Plastic Plugs on the MSM that I just popped off cause I didn't want to drill holes for them.
I also used Auto Adhesive Tape along the front and back.
BTW, the MSM Spoiler is 1" more narrow front to back than the PEP Spoiler.

I posted details, with Pics, of this Mod an Miata.net in the NB Sub-forum.

Last edited:
Back