My Latest Mod

Katya4me

Autox Junkie
:
Laser Blue '03 P5
Indash Carputer Install
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I just finished installing my first carputer. :) No bolts or screws were used in the process of this installation. The entire carputer is in the dash. Yeah, it's not as pretty as it could be, oh well.

Full%20dash.jpg

The hardware specs are:

M10000 motherboard
40gig Fujitsu laptop hard drive
256 meg memory
Xenarc 7" touchscreen
USB Wireless-B Wi-fi antenna
USB GPS mouse
Bluetooth Dongle
Panasonic slimslot laptop DVD-RW drive (still to be installed)
Currently a Keypower 250 watt DC-DC PSU, hopefully to be replaced by a working M1-ATX 90 watt PSU
Custom case made by a friend (I love you Fadi (kiss))
5 in 1 card reader
Clarion APA450 4 channel amp
JL 8W0 subwoofer (still to be installed)

I'm using FrodoPlayer right now and Routis 2004, running under WinXP Pro w/ SP2.

Here's some install pics:
Bezel-1.jpg

Bezel%20Reverse.jpg

Zipties-Girls%20Best%20Friend.jpg

Here is a link to more pics:

http://www.moxnix.org/Car/Carputer/

Last edited:
I might get a wireless gyroscopic mouse down the line, but no keyboard. The keyboard is just there till we're finished installing and we don't need to test anything else out.

Motherboard is 17 cm x 17 cm and the case barely covers it and provides a perch for the hard drive. The depth of that is about 4 inches and then stuffed cables everywhere I could.

Thanks Mike. I look forward to seeing how it does when I autox. :)

I'll post pics of the sub later.

Well, hard drives LOVE being tossed around and having different G forces actingon the disk! Did put in a I/O video card? You could capture decent video right to the hard drive!
Of course a webcam would work also!

Nope, just the onboard video. Only webcams I have right now are pretty crappy. It's got a USB hub that's going in the glove compartment if you have any cameras or recommendations for that. Otherwise, I'll continue using the headrest mount.

You could put a webcam outside the car and get some nice cone shots. More cameras=more angles= more better Videos! I'm gonna keep using the headrest and I'm getting a smaller camera (bullet cam instead of the busted Hi-8 camcorder) To use and I'm gonna make all kinds of mounts. (roof F&R, roof sidemounts, F&R bumpers, etc...)

No suggestions on the webcams. I know nothing about computers...

Fantastic!!!!
Goal this summer now that I'm working again will be a puter, though not mounted behind the dash (We all can't be special :) )
instead underneath the passenger seat or glove box area (make a holder somehow...), USB ports in the change holder by the foglight switch, possibly DVD drive in the area behind the cup holders.
Plus PS2 stored under the drivers seat with cable extenders for the controls mounted just below the seatbelts. So that I can store the controllers when not in use and simply plug them into the extends when in use..

Hmm got much planning to get started on :)

OH and I shall rise again at the next MSCW meet with membership handy this time (rockon)

Back