My Day with a Jeep Cherokee Latitude and how it compares to a CX-5

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Since my wife didn't want me driving the CX-5 until the recall was fixed, I was given a loaner car while it waited to be fixed. Please hold the commentary about getting a loaner for the recall, my wife didn't want me driving around the little ones, she worries a lot, I didn't care, but want to make my wife happy. I was given a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 2wd I-4 for the day to drive around. I had the vehicle for a little over 24hours and I thought I would share my thoughts about it. First, off I always like the idea of the Cherokee, specifically the Trailhawk version with the V6 and the ability to tow 4500lbs, but I have never liked the front end styling of the vehicle. Having it in person just confirmed my distaste for the front end. It looks like someone squished the front end down and the headlight placement in the bumper separate from the daytime running lights and blinkers is just strange to me.

The jeep came equipped with the Multiair 2.4L 4cyl rated at 184hp with 171ft/lbs of torque and 9 speed transmission. For the most part the engine was smooth and responsive and the transmission felt strong but with 9 speeds the revs remained low and there was quite the event when accelerating to pass. I checked via switching into manual mode a few times and I was never able to get the tranny to shift into 8th or 9th gear even at highway speeds. I tried to force it into those higher gears and the programing would not allow it even doing 70mph. The 171ft/lb of torque was decent but I could definitely tell it didn't have the same pull as the CX-5 with 185ft/lbs. Even on damp roads, with traction control off, the engine was not able to spin the wheels from a stand still during a hard take off. Verdict: there's just too many gears in the tranny for this car or the gearing is wrong and it doesn't utilize all the gears like it could. It's not a bad engine but Mazda has the better 4 cyl between the two.

Cabin and road noise were at minimum and engine noise was not obtrusive at all. I would give the upper hand to the jeep in quietness of the cabin at speeds. I don't mind the CX-5 cabin noise but the jeep just seemed quieter to me. I enjoy the sound of the mazda when Zoom-Zooming and I felt the Jeep felt a bit numb in that aspect.

The 13" rotors in the front and the 11" rotors in the back stopped the jeep just fine but there was much more forward dive when coming to a stop and there was a slight vibration that I felt under braking. the car only had about 950miles on the odometer. I give the win to the CX-5 in braking performance. I had to adjust my driving style because of the forward dive and was not as confident feeling in the corners.

The steering in the Jeep felt numb. In a straight line the steering wheel was nicely weighted and responsive when twitching from side to side but during cornering there was a lose of feel thru the wheel. The jeep felt much heavier then the 3655lb curb weight, which is only 66lbs more then the CX-5. The CX-5 feels much lighter on it's feet then the jeep did. I had no complaints about the suspension of the jeep other then it added to the numb feeling when turning but it handled bumps and uneven road comfortably and smoothly. Maybe more so then the CX-5 with 19" wheels but pretty on par with the way the roads feel with my 17" blizzaks on the CX-5 currently.

Where I feel the Jeep really shined was the cabin! Even though is was the Latitude trim which is second from the bottom there was many nice and well thought out features the Mazda doesn't have. The Cloth seats where comfortable and the manual adjustment on them where easy to use. It felt like there was more cushioning in the jeep then in the CX-5. I did not like that some controls on the steering wheel where on the back side where I couldn't see them but that is a minor complaint. One very nice feature the Jeep had was back seats that both reclined and slide forward and back. This made installing the Car seats a breeze, and with the rear seats all the way back there was slightly more leg room available for the front occupants. The passenger seat also had some nice features to it that I wish Mazda would have incorporated into the CX-5. For one, the cushion section of the passenger seat tilted forward revealing a large storage compartment under the cushion. Also when the passenger seat was titled all the way forward it would release and the back would lay flat. A feature I could see very useful for carrying longer items in the cabin with the rear seats folded flat as well. There was, however, no 40/20/40 split rear seats or pass thru in the middle so one of the car seats would have to be removed for carrying anything longer then what would fit in the rear. Speaking of the rear, the cargo hold volume is not as large as the CX-5 but still seemed very usable. The floor is flat with the rear entry point due to the storage tray that lives under the floor above the spare wheel. I nice feature to organize all the things one might need in the back of a vehicle such as jumper cables, ice scrapper, bungee cords, etc. I felt it was better thought out then Mazda's foam insert around the spare wheel. There is a rear cargo management system for the jeep that includes a metal bar in the shape of an oval on one side that various clips and bags are designed to attach to and hang off of. I didn't use it and didn't think it was really anything special.

This car did come equipped with the cold weather package which includes heated seats, heated steering wheel, heated side mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer, engine block heater and remote start on the OEM keyfob. I didn't use the block heater as it wasn't cold enough but the rest of the features are quite nice and had me wishing that Mazda would offer a similar Cold Weather package. The remote start could be set so that when the car was started it would read the outside temp and automatically turn on the heated seats, heated steering wheel, heat mirrors and wipers as well as turn the heat on in the car. The heated steering was very nice and got warm, never uncomfortably warm but made grabbing the leather wrapped wheel a treat. The seat heaters were incredibly warm! On high, I felt as if the seat was roasting my back side within 1min of driving. I am one of the few that like the fact that the CX-5 seat heaters aren't as strong, I don't like my rump roasting! An minor annoyance was that there was no separate button for the seat heaters and you had to select them via the climate button on the 5" touch screen system.

As for the cockpit, it was well though out with controls easy to reach and an attractive layout to the gauges. The center section of the gauges could be customized to show what info you wanted such as speed, temp, compass, etc. I do prefer the CX-5 layout much better and like having an analog speedometer in the center rather then off to one side. What really shined in the cockpit were the accent lights, pun intended. There were several little accent lights aglow when the headlights were on. There was a little one up near the sunglass holder and doom lights that cast a faint white light down onto the gear selector and one that illuminated the storage area in front of the gear selector that also housed a 12v supply, SD card slot, and 2 USB ports. All of those ports also had a glowing ring around them. The two cup holders had a rather cool looking ring around them that glowed the same faint white as the dash and rest of the accent lights. The front windows had one touch up and down and all switches were back side lit. There was also a small light that illuminated the pockets for the door handles. Footwell lighting was also present but only for the drivers side. Over all the accent lights were a very nice touch and did detract from the driver at all and looked pretty cool. Our Audi A4 has similar little accent lights that add a nice touch to the cabin at night. I wish Mazda had done something similar. The one aspect of the cockpit I did not like was the reflection of the dash stitching in the windshield. It's very similar to the reflection of the left dash vent in the rearview mirror on the CX-5 but with the jeep it was right in my line of sight thru the windshield and bit distracting.

So what's my final Verdict of the Jeep Cherokee? Well, simply put, I'm glad to have my CX-5 back. Although the Jeep and several interior amenities that I would welcome in the CX-5 the driving dynamic just wasn't there. I enjoy driving and driving for enjoyment. The jeep felt like it was just to get me from point A to point B and didn't offer a whole lot of fun on the journey. Perhaps that's why I am drawn to and am a fan of Mazda in the first place, they focus on the drive and the enjoyment of driving. It's also, perhaps, why Mazda does not have the volume as it's competitors. I imagine most consumers look more at things like cup holders, accent lights and storage bins then they do corning dynamics when they buy car. Because, lets be honest, a vast majority of people with drivers licenses don't actually know the first thing about how to drive a car!

I have heard of a lot of issues with those. It wouldn't matter how nice it is, it's not sexy enough to tolerate poor function. SRT8 Grand Jeep Cherokee? Sure. It can have some foibles, because it's completely sickhouse. But the Cherokee offers NOTHING that would get it a pass on being a POS.

The transmission not shifting into the high gears has been a common thing mentioned in reviews, as well, I'd add.

Also, that said, most people could care less about "cornering dynamics" in a compact SUV. Compact SUV's are sold to women and kids and people looking to cut cost, typically, and that means safety and mileage are #1 and #2 for importance. Sales ceasing of the V6 RAV 4 SPORT is an example of the market place having spoken on "driving dynamics" of a CUV.

So what's my final Verdict of the Jeep Cherokee? Well, simply put, I'm glad to have my CX-5 back. Although the Jeep and several interior amenities that I would welcome in the CX-5 the driving dynamic just wasn't there. I enjoy driving and driving for enjoyment. The jeep felt like it was just to get me from point A to point B and didn't offer a whole lot of fun on the journey.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

One thing I think a lot of people just don't get about the benefit of good driving dynamics is that, when driving dynamics are lacking, it compromises your safety. A car with good driving dynamics will be better at dodging a bounding deer during a rain storm (or on dry pavement for that matter). A lot of deaths are caused when poor handling SUV's careen out of control and hit other cars, ditches, trees, you name it. You never know what you're going to hit if your car careens out of control.

Driving dynamics are an integral part of any car meant to carry you from point A to point B and some cars excel, some suck. And there is everything in the middle. I would rather have excellence, both for pleasure and my own safety. All cars drive, why would excellent driving dynamics be considered anything but essential? On many SUV's, it's not even optional, it's simply not available!

I have heard of a lot of issues with those. It wouldn't matter how nice it is, it's not sexy enough to tolerate poor function. SRT8 Grand Jeep Cherokee? Sure. It can have some foibles, because it's completely sickhouse. But the Cherokee offers NOTHING that would get it a pass on being a POS.

The transmission not shifting into the high gears has been a common thing mentioned in reviews, as well, I'd add.

Also, that said, most people could care less about "cornering dynamics" in a compact SUV. Compact SUV's are sold to women and kids and people looking to cut cost, typically, and that means safety and mileage are #1 and #2 for importance. Sales ceasing of the V6 RAV 4 SPORT is an example of the market place having spoken on "driving dynamics" of a CUV.

"the market place having spoken on Driving Dynamics of an CUV" yet here is mazda with the CX-5 exceling at just that. I agree with what you said. The Cherokee is the least good looking CUV out there, followed closely by the Rav4 and CR-V if you ask me. I still think the CX-5 is the best looking with the new Tucson close behind.

I too read a few reviews on the Jeep Cherokee and I did see several of them list the things that I found to be true. My opinions on the jeep were made up before I ever read any reviews FYI. I saw reports that the Cherokee is having tranny issues left and right. One poster on the JEEP forum was going in for his third Transmission in as many years! Yikes.

I guess my whole point with the review and talking points on the Cherokee is that I can see where soccer moms and people who aren't in the know would think the Cherokee is a fine vehicle thus they tell their friends, they test drive and they buy when in reality it is a rather poor vehicle. I think a lot of vehicles are like that right now. The Rav4 and CR-V are almost as bad as a Minivan in my eyes, they are just so vanilla and plain in everyway. But people by them like crazy because they have little bells and whistles that wow them, like a heated steering wheel or nifty lights around the cup holder, or a back seat that slides back and forth a few inches. None of those makes a car drive well or fun to drive. The safety on the Cherokee isn't even that good. If I could bend the ear of someone at Mazda with power I would tell them that in order to sell more of their models, more of the fluffy bells and whistles need to make their way to the CX-5. It won't happen, and I'm happy I got the CX-5 for the way it drives. I guess if wanted the drive and all the bells and whistles I'd be looking at the X3 or Q5 or something.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

One thing I think a lot of people just don't get about the benefit of good driving dynamics is that, when driving dynamics are lacking, it compromises your safety. A car with good driving dynamics will be better at dodging a bounding deer during a rain storm (or on dry pavement for that matter). A lot of deaths are caused when poor handling SUV's careen out of control and hit other cars, ditches, trees, you name it. You never know what you're going to hit if your car careens out of control.

Driving dynamics are an integral part of any car meant to carry you from point A to point B and some cars excel, some suck. And there is everything in the middle. I would rather have excellence, both for pleasure and my own safety. All cars drive, why would excellent driving dynamics be considered anything but essential? On many SUV's, it's not even optional, it's simply not available!

The target audience would be just as likely to hurt itself with over-correction, as help itself. Also, you're acting like common sense sells cars. It doesn't. Numbers (mpg, cubic feet space,etc.), dollars (note), and playing on emotions ("Honda makes excellent vehicles. I know you appreciate this a lot after hearing how you got 400K miles out of your civic, and I think we have just the vehicle over here for you, now that you are looking for that same reliability in a CUV...) and PERCEPTIONS does.

"the market place having spoken on Driving Dynamics of an CUV" yet here is mazda with the CX-5 exceling at just that. I agree with what you said. The Cherokee is the least good looking CUV out there, followed closely by the Rav4 and CR-V if you ask me. I still think the CX-5 is the best looking with the new Tucson close behind.

I too read a few reviews on the Jeep Cherokee and I did see several of them list the things that I found to be true. My opinions on the jeep were made up before I ever read any reviews FYI. I saw reports that the Cherokee is having tranny issues left and right. One poster on the JEEP forum was going in for his third Transmission in as many years! Yikes.

I guess my whole point with the review and talking points on the Cherokee is that I can see where soccer moms and people who aren't in the know would think the Cherokee is a fine vehicle thus they tell their friends, they test drive and they buy when in reality it is a rather poor vehicle. I think a lot of vehicles are like that right now. The Rav4 and CR-V are almost as bad as a Minivan in my eyes, they are just so vanilla and plain in everyway. But people by them like crazy because they have little bells and whistles that wow them, like a heated steering wheel or nifty lights around the cup holder, or a back seat that slides back and forth a few inches. None of those makes a car drive well or fun to drive. The safety on the Cherokee isn't even that good. If I could bend the ear of someone at Mazda with power I would tell them that in order to sell more of their models, more of the fluffy bells and whistles need to make their way to the CX-5. It won't happen, and I'm happy I got the CX-5 for the way it drives. I guess if wanted the drive and all the bells and whistles I'd be looking at the X3 or Q5 or something.

Yes, yet here is the CX5...with Mazda having sold in the US, private and fleet combined, a whopping 305,XXX vehicles, and the Honda CR-V alone, having sold 335,XX here in the US...yes...I think the market place has spoken when one CUV sells more than an entire company's whole portfolio. Face it. Driving dyanmics are not a selling point for MOST CUV shoppers. Should they be? Are they to you? All moot. Because they aren't.

*2014 data.

Toyota has given up on the enthusiast market. Their current website refers to the Yaris as the 'sporty' one in the lineup.

I think Scion was supposed to take up the slack there, but they hamstrung it with underinvestment and now it's dead.

EDIT: I just remembered that the '16+ Yaris is actually a rebranded Mazda 2 with a different grill. So they don't even make that.

Last edited:
Yes, yet here is the CX5...with Mazda having sold in the US, private and fleet combined, a whopping 305,XXX vehicles, and the Honda CR-V alone, having sold 335,XX here in the US...yes...I think the market place has spoken when one CUV sells more than an entire company's whole portfolio. Face it. Driving dyanmics are not a selling point for MOST CUV shoppers. Should they be? Are they to you? All moot. Because they aren't.

*2014 data.

Great, the CR-V, one model, has sold more then all of Mazda's line-up. So driving dynamics isn't a selling point, to you anyhow. To me they are, I want a car that is fun to drive, that I enjoy driving that lets me enjoy the thrill of driving. I feel like you're trying to attack me for a review (opinion) I gave on one of the CX-5 competitors that I had the chance of driving around for about 30 hours or so. The CX-5 is Mazda's best selling model right now. At least for Dec '15 and calendar year '15, (jan '16 the 3 was the best selling model). It's a fun sporty CUV that allows me the advantages that come with a CUV yet keep everything I loved about driving sportier cars (ford probe, Protege5). I often feel that the "Market" is wrong. Auto makers cater to what the masses want instead of telling them what they need. The late hummer brand is a perfect example. The "market" was all about large SUV's with tons of space and low mpg. Before Hummer came out with the H2 there was the rise of the Escalade, the Expedition, and the resurgence of the Suburban. The H2 was and is the poster child for the auto industry giving the market what it wanted. People were buying huge vehicles so they build even bigger vehicles. Then Gas prices went up, and up and up and those large SUV's fell out of favor.

Mazda is taking a refreshing approach to their line up right now. Their slogan, "Driving Matters" sum it up perfectly. An automobile should be about the drive not how many cup holders the car has or what automated features they thru into a car. The current commercial for the new Malibu drives me nuts where people are asked their opinion about an un branded Malibu and they say it reminds them of Lexus or BMW or what ever and then are "shocked" at the fact its a chevy. Those people are idiots if you ask me. If those people had any knowledge of cars they wouldn't be saying they think it's a BMW or other high end car.

Driving Dynamics don't sell a car but they should! More people should know what makes a car a good driving car. Mazda knows and have implemented into their entire line. Even BMW has been knocked as of late for getting away from their legendary driving dynamics and instead focusing on the fluff that the consumer ie idiot, is drawn to. All that fluff should be just an added bonus not the main selling point.

The Jeep had some nice comforts and neat little features but it paled in comparison to the CX-5 where I thought it mattered most. Maybe you disagree with, and that's fine. It was just my opinion on the Jeep. I'll keep my CX-5 and continue my hope that more automakers will thrive for good driving vehicles first, and feature loaded second. I'd love to see more sport wagons, manual transmissions then I would to continue to hear about automated driverless cars.

I had a friend in high school who had an 80s-era MR2, mid-engine goodness!

I do remember those, had the chance to drive one once, fun car! What happened to car makers making cars for the people that like cars? More and More I feel that true driving enthusiasts have to "settle" because the car they would buy doesn't exist.

Almost bought a Trailhawk back in '14.... it sounds like I would have been overly familiar with the dealer service department. It seems the reliability on these is still fairly poor.

I do remember those, had the chance to drive one once, fun car! What happened to car makers making cars for the people that like cars? More and More I feel that true driving enthusiasts have to "settle" because the car they would buy doesn't exist.

Heh, I think that's how many of us ended up here...

It's kind of amusing to see some posters who bought a mazda for some reason (maybe the good reviews?) but then complain about stiff ride and a lack of things like door courtesy lights. Ah well, BMW dealers likely got the same complaints from the clueless-but-well-heeled and eventually corporate softened it up.

You guys know something funny - this is what dealers told me. Many here know I did extensive research. So, the dealer was a bit more candid with me, since he knew I have already settled on CX5. He said, time and again, if a potential buyer come to them AFTER they have test driven the RAV4 or CRV, they tend to buy CX5, purely they get awed by the driving dynamics, even women. BUT, if they see CX5 first and then try the others, mostly they select the others, purely because they forget the dynamics and get awed by the super interior amenities instead. So, the sales guy encourages others to NOT test drive but rather come back and test drive. They ENCOURAGE potential buyers to go test the competitors 1st. and come back.
If you honestly ask me, the only things I miss after having bought the GT version is "reclinable" rear with rear seat warmers and some USB ports @ rear. 2nd.: the bloody switches could have been lighted in the door. But its a small price to pay for awesome handling.

Remember the days of the Toyota Supra?

When I first got married I bought a Toyota Celica GT. First new car I ever bought. The wife drove it more than I did as I was working in a steel mill. Cost $2500. Fun little car. Toyota has nothing like it now.

You guys know something funny - this is what dealers told me. Many here know I did extensive research. So, the dealer was a bit more candid with me, since he knew I have already settled on CX5. He said, time and again, if a potential buyer come to them AFTER they have test driven the RAV4 or CRV, they tend to buy CX5, purely they get awed by the driving dynamics, even women. BUT, if they see CX5 first and then try the others, mostly they select the others, purely because they forget the dynamics and get awed by the super interior amenities instead. So, the sales guy encourages others to NOT test drive but rather come back and test drive. They ENCOURAGE potential buyers to go test the competitors 1st. and come back.

Funny, the CX-5 Was the first one I test drove and came back to it because the rest were just boring to drive, felt numb or loose, and didnt corner as well. Every time I drove the others, i would compare it to the CX-5 and none lived up to it.

Funny, the CX-5 Was the first one I test drove and came back to it because the rest were just boring to drive, felt numb or loose, and didnt corner as well. Every time I drove the others, i would compare it to the CX-5 and none lived up to it.

I've done all my research, came down to CR-V and CX-5. Test drove the CX-5, then test drove the CR-V 15 minutes later (the two Walser dealers are almost next to each other). Came back to the CX-5 as soon as I got off the CR-V due to its handling and gas pedal. The gas pedal is weird on recent Honda, maybe it's the CVT, but both my wife's 2014 Accord and the 2015 CR-V suffer a delay on the gas pedal (my 99 Civic is quite responsive). By the time the car starts moving my foot is already too deep on the gas and thus causing the Accord/CR-V to jerk forward quite hard. I still can't adjust myself to that delay on the Accord.

The CX-5 is the first car that gets me excited everytime I drive it, and makes me glance at it once in a while in the parking lot/garage. Wonderful driving experience and gorgeous look, what else can I ask for?

Great, the CR-V, one model, has sold more then all of Mazda's line-up. So driving dynamics isn't a selling point, to you anyhow. To me they are, I want a car that is fun to drive, that I enjoy driving that lets me enjoy the thrill of driving. I feel like you're trying to attack me for a review (opinion) I gave on one of the CX-5 competitors that I had the chance of driving around for about 30 hours or so. The CX-5 is Mazda's best selling model right now. At least for Dec '15 and calendar year '15, (jan '16 the 3 was the best selling model). It's a fun sporty CUV that allows me the advantages that come with a CUV yet keep everything I loved about driving sportier cars (ford probe, Protege5). I often feel that the "Market" is wrong. Auto makers cater to what the masses want instead of telling them what they need. The late hummer brand is a perfect example. The "market" was all about large SUV's with tons of space and low mpg. Before Hummer came out with the H2 there was the rise of the Escalade, the Expedition, and the resurgence of the Suburban. The H2 was and is the poster child for the auto industry giving the market what it wanted. People were buying huge vehicles so they build even bigger vehicles. Then Gas prices went up, and up and up and those large SUV's fell out of favor.

Mazda is taking a refreshing approach to their line up right now. Their slogan, "Driving Matters" sum it up perfectly. An automobile should be about the drive not how many cup holders the car has or what automated features they thru into a car. The current commercial for the new Malibu drives me nuts where people are asked their opinion about an un branded Malibu and they say it reminds them of Lexus or BMW or what ever and then are "shocked" at the fact its a chevy. Those people are idiots if you ask me. If those people had any knowledge of cars they wouldn't be saying they think it's a BMW or other high end car.

Driving Dynamics don't sell a car but they should! More people should know what makes a car a good driving car. Mazda knows and have implemented into their entire line. Even BMW has been knocked as of late for getting away from their legendary driving dynamics and instead focusing on the fluff that the consumer ie idiot, is drawn to. All that fluff should be just an added bonus not the main selling point.

The Jeep had some nice comforts and neat little features but it paled in comparison to the CX-5 where I thought it mattered most. Maybe you disagree with, and that's fine. It was just my opinion on the Jeep. I'll keep my CX-5 and continue my hope that more automakers will thrive for good driving vehicles first, and feature loaded second. I'd love to see more sport wagons, manual transmissions then I would to continue to hear about automated driverless cars.

Your opinion
My opinion

None of which matter as much as quarterly profits, to auto manufacturers. I'm not telling you you're wrong. I'm just saying that your way isn't the way cars are being bought/sold today, by and large, and backing it with market data.

Back