Music Thread

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
Whatcha' listening to?

I finished ripping my entire CD collection. Moving to a new house and I am not taking these CD's with me.
Got in the car, loaded up Rocket Player and hit shuffle. Forgot how fun this song is and it felt appropriate driving to work with the windows and sun roof open.

Played it like 4 times in a row. LOL

What are you listening to? Share a YouTube link, maybe you'll turn someone on to a new song. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSkFygPCTwE

You're trashing your CDs after ripping them? How many are we talking about?

You're trashing your CDs after ripping them? How many are we talking about?

I am going to offer them for free to my Facebook friends.
100-150
If they don't want them I will donate them to a local used CD\Record\DVD shop that we still have in town.
I will do everything I can to keep them out of the landfill.

Please, spare me the legality issue that I shouldn't keep the digital copies if I no longer keep the discs. Not specifically talking to you Conrad. There's always one guy that has to bring it up. :D

I hope you ripped them in a lossless format, like FLAC. I've ripped my 1k+ CD collection 3x now. First in 128kMP3, then 256kMP3 and finally FLAC.

Please, spare me the legality issue that I shouldn't keep the digital copies if I no longer keep the discs. :D

You payed your money. You can do whatever the **** you want with it now. That's my opinion.

I hope you ripped them in a lossless format, like FLAC. I've ripped my 1k+ CD collection 3x now. First in 128kMP3, then 256kMP3 and finally FLAC.

Yep, FLAC is definitely the way to go.

Anyway, I mostly listen to soundtracks (movies, games, etc.), or the occasional 70s/80s stuff.

I listen to everything from Lionel Richie to Linkin Park. A coworker recently turned me on to instrumental metal. Currently listening to some Animals As Leaders and Liquid Tension Experiment.

One of my favourite songs to drive to is Get Free by The Vines. It makes me want to throw the car around the corner, and I drive a CX-9 lol.

Next time [of course there won't be a next time for you!] and for others who will be doing this [everyone eventually]....

Just rip them once to FLAC. Then use a converter [I use Switch Sound File Converter] to convert to other formats. It's so much faster and easier. Once you've done the initial rip, you can convert your whole collection with one command [if you've organized your files in one place]. A good converter like Switch costs a few bucks, but it's well worth it if you have a large collection.

I've been diddling with my music for years. I've tried FLAC and OGG and Lossless WAV and every iteration of MP3.
In the end I just ripped everything to 320 MP3. i KNOW i know, IT'S NOT THE BEST. sURELY IT'S 2ND BEST. iN THe ENVIRONMENTS i LISTEN TO MUSIC NOWADAYS, THE DIFFERENCE... (opps acci-caps... not yelling nor fixing) is negligible.
My car. My PC. My BT Speakers. My (decent but nowhere near high end) soundbar.

If I still had a high end home theater system I would have gone FLAC.

7eregrine

Hope you're keeping a backup of your songs as when the files get corrupted and unplayable you won't have the CDs to fall back on. If it hasn't already failed a hard drive is preparing to fail. USB sticks can also go bad and unreadable.

7eregrine

Hope you're keeping a backup of your songs as when the files get corrupted and unplayable you won't have the CDs to fall back on. If it hasn't already failed a hard drive is preparing to fail. USB sticks can also go bad and unreadable.
I'm in IT, brother. I know what I'm doing. Of course I have backups. The main copies are on a RAIDed USB drive so technically there are 2 copies right there.
An entire copy on my phone.
The odds of losing all that at once are miniscule.
In addition, another copy on my free 50gb Box cloud account.
All good. [emoji106]

Back