MS6 boost gauge installed

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Not 100% sure if this is the right place, but as far as I am concerned this isn't an appearance mod.

After having my Prosport boost gauge for over a year, I finally got my hands on a vent pod and was able to install it. Looks great, only thing is that using only the amber illumination the thing is hard to see in daylight. Now I can set my Dashhawk to monitor other parameters.

Attachments

• DSC00866.JPG
    DSC00866.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 288
How difficult was that install, running the wires through the defrost vent, or did you go a different route?

Okay, if any of you want info on the pod, PM me as I got it from someone on an alternative 6 forum. The install wasn't terribly difficult once I figured out exactly where to put everything. Did a lot of research elsewhere, a lot of people have done this but seems like everyone used different wiring connections.

Basically I drilled through the side of the defrost vent ducting (had a moment there as the drill chuck was touching the dash) to start, then enlarged the hole using a file. As I used an electronic gauge there was a sensor to mount in the engine compartment. After reading issues some people had with this particular guage (in my opinion, because they mounted the sensor where it was subjected to weather) I mounted the sensor behind the battery. You have to cut the tube going to the BPV in order to install the tee which allows you to connect to the sensor. This is easy, but the downside of the tee is much bigger than the tubing provided to connect to the sensor. Ran the wires through the rubber grommet in the firewall that has all the wires going through it on the driver's side. I soldered all the wires together so I didn't have to worry about any loose connections. The Prosport gauge has a short pigtail for the power wires so you HAVE to extend them all. After doing it I would recommend cutting some extension wires and soldering them before installing the gauge, then running the complete wires through the ducting. Trying to do it upsidedown under the dash sucks.

The only thing I have left is to try to hook up the amber lighting to the dimmer so it will follow the dash lights, and decide if I want to connect the white light for daytime use. The combination of the amber lighting and the smoked lens Prosport uses means you cannot see the gauge in daylight.

If the interest is there, I can take some pictures to help show how I did this. I am not going to tear it all apart but you would be able to get the general idea of how I proceeded.

Back