Motor Trend 2014 Mazda3 1st Drive: If you Liked the '3 Shared with Ford and Volvo...

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
2014-Mazda3-front-end.jpg

Lone Zoomer: If you Liked the '3 Shared with Ford and Volvo, You'll Love the All-Mazda One

You know the old adage: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Sure, where small automakers like Mazda are concerned, that idea flies in the face of all that economies-of-scale biz-school blather, but if the way this new Mazda3 drives is any indication, the little-Hiroshima-company-that-could may be making it work. Here's its argument against conventional wisdom: By starting the design of this third-generation 3 on a completely clean sheet, with no "economies of scale" parts-bin pieces to work around, every inch of the car could be tailored to suit the task at hand and fit Mazda's zoomy personality. This approach means there are no recessive "Volvo For Life" or "One Ford" genes that could express themselves in awkward ways or force uncomfortable compromises. Note that the same clean sheet was also used to design the basic architecture of the 3, 6, and CX-5 (and a forthcoming CX-9 replacement), but those are siblings, not cousins from different continents. 2014 Mazda3 Rear End The suspension is a perfect example of the benefits of such a holistic engineering approach. The team set a goal of delivering the steering feel of a light rear-drive car with manual steering, where effort continually builds with increasing cornering force. To do this, the front strut geometry has 6 degrees of caster -- same as on a Miata or RX-8, and way more than you'll find on anyone else's front-driver. This provides a strong self-centering effect at speed and causes effort to continuously rise with steering input, which the column-mounted electric assist motor simply dials back to a comfortable level. To back that steering feel up with eager turn-in, the Control Blade rear suspension's bushings and geometry are designed to encourage a healthy dose of toe-in under cornering. (Oh, and let the record show that Mazda introduced the Control Blade idea on its fourth-gen Cosmo, contributing it to the original Focus/S40/3.)

Designing the whole car around Mazda's full suite of Skyactiv technologies compounds the efficiency of each. The 2.0-liter engine is a great example. When wedged into the existing engine compartment of the old '3 in 2012, the engine made do with a compact four-into-one exhaust header. At some speeds this allowed the sonic wave created when one exhaust valve opened to reflect up the runner of another cylinder just as its valve was ready to close, jamming some hot gas back into the cylinder and compromising the next combustion cycle. Working with the clean sheet, engineers made room for an elaborate basket-o-snakes 4-2-1 manifold that prevents this from happening. The result: The torque curve is fattened by a healthy 14 lb-ft at 3000 rpm, peak torque jumps 2 lb-ft, and EPA city/hwy fuel economy improves from 28/39 mpg to 29/40 mpg with the manual and 30/40 mpg with the automatic. 2014 Mazda3 Frank Markus Maybe the best Skyactiv story is that of the clean-sheet manual transmission -- Mazda's first since the 1980s. Reducing internal friction makes it 1 percent more efficient, but that wasn't the point. The object of the redesign was to make it feel sublime in the hand, because now that automatics get better fuel economy than manuals, most folks who opt for a stick do so because they prefer shifting for themselves -- not to save money or fuel. Ya just gotta love the sentiment behind this (perhaps ill-advised) new transmission investment.

So how does this perennial compact-class favorite work on the road? About as good as it looks. The steering feel is simply the best I've sampled in a front-drive car (having not yet tried VW's newest Golf or the Focus ST, about which many also rave). In the Angeles Forest above L.A., the top-performing 2.5-liter s GT variant wearing meaty 215/45R18 summer Dunlops turns in crisply and corners hard, and its steering effort builds nicely all the way up, giving some subtle tugs and jiggles as the road surface changes. You take the good with the bad -- there's modest kickback on bumps when the lateral gs are up -- but the trade-off is well worth it. The electric-assist motor can't be heard or felt except when spinning the wheel for a parking maneuver.

Oh, and 185 lb-ft produce no trace of torque steer. (Still, we fervently hope the CX-5's AWD system will be fitted to the way more torquey Mazdaspeed3 variant.) Swapping into a 2.0-liter manual on the base 205/60R-16 Yokohama Avids dials back the peak cornering loads and introduces a bit more tire squeal, but the damping and roll control are still admirable, and there's no head toss. Bumps and imperfections were absorbed with refreshing suppleness in all variants sampled, but then these are the very roads the car's ride and handling were developed on. A definitive ride assessment will have to wait until we can get cars on some meaner streets.

The Skyactiv-Drive automatic transmission claims to match the efficiency of a dual-clutch, and it certainly feels as smooth. Shift paddles on the 2.5 bring instant response, but the shift scheduling in Sport mode seldom caused me to touch the paddles during canyon running. The cable-actuated shifter in the 2.0-liter car has a light and mechanically precise feel, though I missed my intended gate a few times.

Mazda's bias toward engaging dynamics means that some sound deadening may have been sacrificed on the altar of low mass, so road and wind noise trail the class leaders a bit, but we wouldn't have it any other way. And this bit of extra noise doesn't detract from the upscale mood of the new interior, which gets a soft-touch dash, USB audio input, and keyless push-button entry and starting on even the lowest base trim level. Mazda3s have always delivered class-above optional content, and that tradition continues, with blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert standard on the high-volume i Touring variant, while top 2.5-liter models get a head-up display, rain-sensing wipers, and bi-xenon adaptive headlights. To secure absolute C-segment bragging rights, order the Tech Package, which brings a full laser/radar/camera sensor array with adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, Smart City Brake Support (to prevent or lessen low-speed impacts), automatic high-beams, and i-ELOOP.

That's a loopy name for a smart-charging system on steroids. A variable-voltage alternator freewheels while cruising or accelerating, and when you lift or brake, it generates way more charging energy than the battery could accept. A 25-kJ capacitor absorbs the rest and then apportions it to the battery in doses it can accept. Mazda says it might boost real-world fuel economy by around 5 percent when you're running a lot of electrical loads. Intellectually, we realize that Mazda's long-term viability probably hinges on finding a new Ford-like partner or strengthening existing joint-venture ties with Toyota, Nissan, or Fiat.

But emotionally, this new 3 is so good we're kind of rooting for the scrappy, independent, genetically pure Japanese little zoomer to keep going it alone.

[Motor Trend]

No torque steer...I remember my 2004, the torque steer was pretty noticable.

Noise is not a big deal, if it bothers me that much, I'll swap the performance tires for Grand Touring tires. Maybe Turanza Serentiy, those are supposed to be really good...

So far the reviews are very good, very few (and minor) gripes, I hope they keep it up. So far the CX-5 and Mazda6 have proven them right.

It's probably a very good thing for them that they "practiced" on the CX-5 and the 6 first. Those are really just "meh" cars...even though midsize tends to be bread-and-butter, it wouldn't be a huge loss to make a mistake with those, and take time to correct it (such as needing a larger engine for the CX-5). The 3 has been Mazda's top seller since it was introduced, and it's crucial for them to get it right, and do so the first time. Both profit and reputation depend on it.

They really can't mess up the 3 since it is their lifeline.
I have a feeling that the 2.5 will outrun and outhandle its competition even though its down on horsepower to the Koreans (veloster and forte), which are its only real competition in addition to the Scion TC.

They really can't mess up the 3 since it is their lifeline.
I have a feeling that the 2.5 will outrun and outhandle its competition even though its down on horsepower to the Koreans (veloster and forte), which are its only real competition in addition to the Scion TC.

The Koreans have come strong with design, features and power for the last few years, I actually like the current KIA Optima SXL, but the reviews I've read still indicate they are appliance-like driving. Unfortunately that is an avid driver preference, very few potential customers look after that.

As the Autoblog article reads:

"It's a downright shame that so many people shopping in this segment go into the new car buying experience and cut off any sort of emotional tie. The 2014 Mazda3 is a real winner, especially so for enthusiasts. I hope more people take notice."

The Koreans have come strong with design, features and power for the last few years, I actually like the current KIA Optima SXL, but the reviews I've read still indicate they are appliance-like driving. Unfortunately that is an avid driver preference, very few potential customers look after that.

As the Autoblog article reads:

"It's a downright shame that so many people shopping in this segment go into the new car buying experience and cut off any sort of emotional tie. The 2014 Mazda3 is a real winner, especially so for enthusiasts. I hope more people take notice."

The optima SX is fast in a straight line but thats about it. Steering feel is pretty much absent.

Here's the specs on the new 3 its up on mazda's media site http://www.mazdausamedia.com/index.php?s=31676&item=1070#Documents

Sounds like I'll be getting the 3 S Touring since its got everything I want in it.

Looks like the "S" model only gets one power outlet? That kind of sucks, I could use a second one. Apparently there's two USB ports, but my phone won't charge very fast off of a USB trickle.

Looks like I'll be getting the S Grand Touring myself, with 2TE, wonder how much that'll come to with the Soul Red paint...

The 3 S Touring is exactly what I want 2.5 liter engine, 6 speed auto, navi, no sunroof, no leather, bluetooth and back up camera. Now if only I can decide on the color :D

Well, your interior color is easy, black "leatherette." Probably isn't Alcantara either. :)

The GT allows you to get a tan leather on the seats, and I think I want that, shouldn't get quite as scorching hot in the sun. And I kind of miss having a sunroof, even though I didn't use it all that often.

Big thing for me is the adaptive cruise control though, and the i-ELOOP won't hurt either. I do at least 2 hours and 100 miles in daily commute. Unfortunately, those two features are GT only. And s-GT only at that, I was hoping Mazda was going to start making the i and s lines equivalent.

I'm not really a fan of leather, sunroof or the tan interior so I'd rather save some money and get the s Touring since its got all I want and nothing I don't. Though I'd probably add the accessory roof spoiler if its a little longer, the one that comes with the car looks way too small and doesn't really fit well with the styling, imo

i-eloop should be standard on all 2.5 cars along with the active grille shutters and not part of some crazy expensive option package.

Would have been perfect if iEloop was a stand alone option, don't need lane departure or that radar cruise control and other things that comes with it. Not sure if it's worth it for just 1mpg better. Then again, with iEloop it'll probably put less load on the car when driving with the AC on and should not take away much of the car's power.

You know, it's nice that we have a place to discuss the 2014 on this forum. A certain other forum seems to be uninterested in creating a 2014 section as yet. :)

Would have been perfect if iEloop was a stand alone option, don't need lane departure or that radar cruise control and other things that comes with it. Not sure if it's worth it for just 1mpg better. Then again, with iEloop it'll probably put less load on the car when driving with the AC on and should not take away much of the car's power.

thats where im not sure an extra couple thousand bucks is worth 1-2mpg. I'm sure you can get past the estimates easily especially with a light footed driving style. I really don't need blind spot warning, lane departure warning and all those things. I'm guessing the S touring is probably going to be below 25k.

It's not worth $2000, but adaptive cruise and lane departure warning are worth close to that, and i-ELOOP and the active grille shutters are a nice bonus with the extra couple of MPG. And more importantly, a reliable electrical supply to the car's systems. Anyone know if the A/C is electrically powered now? :)

I'm still a little sad that it only weighs 102 pounds less than the outgoing 2.5 hatch... really wish it was lighter.

Well, look at all the new tech they added, that negates a lot of the additional weight lose that this car could have had. Can't have a car with HP and torque at the top of it's class and all the latest tech packages and expect it to be hundreds of pounds lighter than the outgoing model. Lightweight aluminum motors and high strength steel only go so far in weight reduction. Reducing are cars weight by a couple hundred pounds isn't an easy task, then throw in all the new systems that Mazda added to the top of line GT version that weren't on the previous version and you end up with only 100 pounds of difference. But, honestly if you look all the stuff they added, 100 pounds is still impressive to me. The motor weighs more than the standard 2.0 and all those nice little tech features that are available on the top of line GT version adds a lot weight to the car.

The optima SX is fast in a straight line but thats about it. Steering feel is pretty much absent.

Here's the specs on the new 3 its up on mazda's media site http://www.mazdausamedia.com/index.php?s=31676&item=1070#Documents

Sounds like I'll be getting the 3 S Touring since its got everything I want in it.

I'm surprised they are offering hubcaps on the 5 Door model. The never have before, seems like a bit of a step backwards in my opinion.

I'm surprised they are offering hubcaps on the 5 Door model. The never have before, seems like a bit of a step backwards in my opinion.

IIRC it also took them many years for the 5-door to offer 16in alloys in the US. It was always 17in until 2011-2012?

Back