Morimoto HID kit from TRS, review

Thanks, will consider that location for mounting the ballast. Right now debating if I want to go out and buy the double sided tape and mount it that way instead.

Just curious, if anyone tried using a Morimoto Projector lamp and swapped the HID into LED hows the outcome of it?

If you plan on using aftermarket LED kits, it's still not worth it. The output the LED produces isn't as good as halogen or HID. If you were to swap an LED module/projector (e.g. Toyota Corolla or something), that might work. But aftermarket LED, still a no go.

Hmm.. Tried to reach for the headlight bulbs and it was okay, not too bad. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to mount the ballast. Bought a Fast Bright F3 ballast + CNLight H11 bulbs, no relay.
The ballast isn't double sided sticky mount type... It's the bracket/screw ones, so not sure where to mount it.
ballast/kit: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
CNLight H11: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

You can also look at my post #23. Note that when I mention "DSP", I mean "Ballast". "DSP" was the ballast model...

Just curious, if anyone tried using a Morimoto Projector lamp and swapped the HID into LED hows the outcome of it?

I agree with runtohell121 here. A halogen bulb filament and a HID arc are very similar in shape, size and location so they are interchangeable to some degree in a projector. The emitter on an aftermarket LED bulb has a very different shape, size and even emits light in very different directions. You will have a good cut-off because that is just a projected shadow, but don't let that fool you: the light pattern will be way off. Most probably, light will be wasted lighting the area near the front of the car where it is useless and screws up your night vision. That, and the fact that aftermarket LEDs have no where the output of a HID bulb...

So, is the consensus that it is safe to install a HID kit in place of the factory halogen. Will I end up melting the projector housing? * I wasn't well educated to the differences in the 2016 and the 2016.5 when I bought and the dealership wasn't offering me anything but what he had on the lot. I would have opted for the 2016.5 for the LED lighting AND I would have opted for the tech package, but that is my fault for not getting myself educated. Anyway, it would be nice to at least get HIDs if I can't do anything else.

So, is the consensus that it is safe to install a HID kit in place of the factory halogen. Will I end up melting the projector housing? * I wasn't well educated to the differences in the 2016 and the 2016.5 when I bought and the dealership wasn't offering me anything but what he had on the lot. I would have opted for the 2016.5 for the LED lighting AND I would have opted for the tech package, but that is my fault for not getting myself educated. Anyway, it would be nice to at least get HIDs if I can't do anything else.

HIDs are more efficient than halogens. This means that for the same power (Watts), they emit more visible light and less heat. So melting the housing is very unlikely unless a catastrophic electrical failure occurs (short). Nobody can guaranty a failure won't happen, but buying a good kit at least reduces the chances of it happening a lot.

For me the extremely slight risk has been well worth it.

HIDs are more efficient than halogens. This means that for the same power (Watts), they emit more visible light and less heat. So melting the housing is very unlikely unless a catastrophic electrical failure occurs (short). Nobody can guaranty a failure won't happen, but buying a good kit at least reduces the chances of it happening a lot.

For me the extremely slight risk has been well worth it.
Awesome. Which kit do you personally have?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Just the thread I was looking for!

For years I've been what you would call a "purist" insisting on HID projector retrofits, or nothing. I put a "ye olde" re-based 9006 HID kit with Phillips ballasts in my Integra 9006 halogen projectors way back in late 2002, and it was crap. The beam pattern was super narrow, fuzzy cutoff, and extreme hotspots right in front of the car bumper. In early 2004 I got another set of headlights and retrofitted Hella bi-xenon (aka "E55") projectors, and the difference was amazing. And those E55 projectors aren't the best, either.

The amazing thing is that I'm still using the same Phillips ballasts installed in 2002, and the same Philips D2S bulbs installed in early 2004!!! How's that for component life??

These days I recognize that projectors have come a long way since those 9006 OEM halogen projectors from 22 years ago. Many of them work quite well with well-designed HID kits. The kits from TRS are probably some of the best ones I've seen. I'll probably look into getting a set for our CX-5 hopefully in the near future.

I just have to respond to MikeM's comments. You talk about vroom's conversion having "triple" the glare above the cutoff (a completely unscientific estimate). I guarantee you there are cars of all ages running around with old/faded/yellowed lenses in front of halogen bulbs that put out FAR MORE glare than what you see there in those HID beam pattern pics.

Who here has a USA factory made 2013-2015 CX-5 Grand Touring and installed the Morimoto HID kit? Did you purchase the H11A or H11B bulb, also did you get the Canabus connectors or the anti-flicker compacitor with HD relay? Need to know what setups everyone is using and whats more effective. Thanks all!

No canbus required, only the relay. As for the bulb type, the names have changed since my install. You can look in my review, I wrote down the proper bulb to use using the old names. You can then ask the great customer service at TRS what it translates to in the new nomenclature.

No canbus required, only the relay. As for the bulb type, the names have changed since my install. You can look in my review, I wrote down the proper bulb to use using the old names. You can then ask the great customer service at TRS what it translates to in the new nomenclature.

vroom- Thanks for your help and explanation on your setup. I just installed my Morimoto HID kit today. Took about 1.5 hrs because my dad and I debated where the HD relays should go. But anyways, the bulb size for this type is H11B and yes you are all correct, no canbus required. Tho, I think it would be better because of the excess harness involved. Very tricky on where to tuck and hide those wires. Other than that the install was good. I'll post pictures soon! Thanks CX-5 community for the help!!!

Back