Modifying headlights to be always on with ignition on (USA non-DRL)

JPX

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport
Hello all,

Here is another hair-brained electrical modification I've been thinking a lot about since buying this 2012 Mazda5. I have a lot of words to gush here before I get to pictures and diagrams - this is my process for figuring out how to go about this - so bear with me here......(drunk)

My Subaru has the headlights/parking lights tied to the ignition circuit. If the lights are switched on and the key is removed, the lights go off. And then turn right back on with the key.

I prefer this arrangement because the headlights are on all the time and we just don't think about switching the lights on and off. This possibly has an effect on bulb life. But I prefer the quasi-daytime-running-light approach where safety through being visible to other drivers is higher priority than bulb life.

On the USA-spec Mazda5 for 2012, the headlights/parking lights are tied to a beeper alarm if the door is opened, key removed and light switch on. This drives me nuts because first up, we have to think about turning on the lights - since the cluster lighting is always on, this makes it appear initially that the headlights are indeed on.

And my biggest pet peeve, that when the lights are left on when getting out of the car, the beep alarm goes off. When I pull the key, I want EVERYTHING to shut down (well, expect dome lighting I suppose). Those of you in Canada don't have to think to hard about any of this since DRLs are standard. And those of you with the Automatic light sensor also don't have to think too hard about this either.

The cave-man response here might be "Well, just turn the damn light switch off."

But I believe we live in a more sophisticated world than that. I think headlights/parking lights should be turned on with the car running.

My first attempt to map out the solution is to tie a relay coil to the headlight switch. But Mazda, like many carmakers these days, elected to route the signal through the BCM (computer box). This is further complicated by the parking light circuit (TNS) being routed separately from the headlight circuit - both TNS and the headlights go through the BCM.

So I need to trigger two circuits simultaneously with a SPDT relay, or two SPST relays, or something else.

When the headlight switch is set to the second position (headlights+parking lights), the switch triggers the TNS and headlight circuits. Since there is no condition the headlights should be on WITHOUT the TNS loop, I figured I can one-way valve this with a diode.

For 2012, the headlight switch connector in the steering column is as follows:
Black - ground
Brown/Red - TNS 12V+
Red/Black - Headlight 12V+
16156295_large.jpg

Note that this is different than the earlier year models which have:
Black - ground
Brown/Red - TNS 12V+
Yellow - Headlight 12V+

I can trigger my relay coil with the windshield washer fuse (25amp). This fuse is not powered until the ignition circuit comes on. So it is a convenient place to trigger the coil (note that this is a great trigger point for many other electronic ideas!). As luck would have it, my fuse tap is for the larger (older) fuses - ah technology marches on. I can sort that out later - electrically I have tested this end of the mod.
16156299_large.jpg

The trick then becomes using the closed contactor in the relay to simulate the headlight switch position being turned on (TNS+headlight).

I placed a diode between the TNS and Headlight pins on the connector.....silver side (CATHODE) to the TNS. And the lead to the contactor is on the headlight side of the diode (the non silver side ANODE)
16156335_large.jpg

The good news is the headlight switch still operated correctly (it beeps when left on, ignition off, door open). And the headlights turn on automatically with the ignition.

The bad news is the parking lights (the TNS circuit) did not turn on.

I'm thinking at minimum, the diode might be backwards. But then maybe I can't do this with a single diode and a single relay anyway.......(uhm)

I was so bent out of shape after crawling around under both sides of the dash that I called it a night so I can sleep on it.:dodgy:

Any thoughts before I go at it again tomorrow morning?

Great post - I was JUST about to post about retrofitting DRLs on my 2012 Sport.

Is there any way to get the Canadian spec DRL wiring harness (or something like that)?

Since I have the Sport model, I'd also be okay with putting LEDs in the foglight spot as DRLs.

JMJ

Last edited:
Ah - it is amazing what a good night's sleep can do for the brain and the mood.

Turns out the diode was indeed backwards.

Here is the corrected layout.......

16156724_large.jpg

Here is the functionality:
1. Headlights and parking lights turn on automatically with ignition on (regardless of the headlight switch position) - this was the primary objective.

2. Headlights turn off automatically with ignition off if the headlight switch position is OFF.

3. Headlights turn on and off manually with the switch if ignition is off (same factory function).

4. If the headlight switch is turn ON and the ignition is on, the headlights are on - when the key is removed, the lights remain on and the buzzer alarm turns on.

Diodes are fun once you figure them out!

Now I can get back to my next project - finishing up the reading light retrofit for the 2nd row.

Great post - I was JUST about to post about retrofitting DRLs on my 2012 Sport.
Is there any way to get the Canadian spec DRL wiring harness (or something like that)?
Since I have the Sport model, I'd also be okay with putting LEDs in the foglight spot as DRLs.
JMJ

The simplest way to do this is to
- fuse tap the front wiper fuse for 12V+ switched to 86 on the relay.
- tie your relay contactor ground 87 and coil ground 85 together against a steel mounting screw.
- connect LED 12V+ to the battery (fuse it!)
- connect LED 12V- (gnd) to the relay contactor 30.

This would be robust enough to handle conventional halogen lamps as well.

This turns on the LEDs on and off with the igntion regardless of the other lights.

If you want other switching functions, then it gets a bit more involved depending on the functionality you seek.

Hi at all, my M5 ( Europe have : Off-Auto-Parking.light-Headlight )I want simply invert between AUTO position and Headlight position...Can you help me?

Thanks in advice,Marcello

Back