Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other, Post what the other vehicle would be

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
Turbos, four-wheel traction and never a dull moment.

1109200512294752.jpg

<!---->"Air to mission control, bogie has been spotted, weapons are hot, awaiting confirmation to engage!" The experience of piloting one of these tarmac-tearing, dirt-loving predators down a favorable road can often lead one's imagination astray. You suddenly feel like an advocate of rude awakenings, with a mission to complete every time you strap into the driver's seat. That mission: to seek and humiliate expensive sports cars that up to this point thought they owned the roads.Throwing these two contenders into a ring together is like throwing the Incredible Hulk in with Juggernaut, and then telling them to have at it for a couple of rounds. Not only are they well-matched opponents, but each could also be arguably superior to the other in some way, shape or function. The Evo IX flexes a MIVEC-equipped (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing and Electronic Control) turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 now boasting 286 bhp and 289 lb.-ft. of torque. The power improvement comes from a revision of the turbo's compressor housing and a more aggressive muffler, and the power delivery is kept somewhat more linear through variable intake valve timing/phasing.

The 2.0-liter still feels rather anemic at the low end until muscularity sets in at 3500 rpm, turning it into a rip-roaring, torque-happy beast. We never seem to tire of that feeling that comes from 20 psi of oxygen-rich thrust, but must admit that for many, it tends to get bothersome in around-town stop-and-go traffic. The STI, on the other hand, does not disappoint in that area. Power from the Subaru's larger 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-4 comes in early and seems to stay fairly linear where the Evo's power kicks in abruptly. There have been no power changes to the STI's aluminum powerplant, which still boasts an impressive 300 bhp at 6000 rpm with 300 lb.-ft. of torque, more than you ever really need on a daily basis anyway.

The Evo's dynamic characteristics not only make it predictable, but extremely confidence-inspiring, with Bilstein shocks that feel best suited for relatively well-paved roads. Gearing is slightly taller and more realistic than that of the STI, leading to less frequent shifting and certainty of which gear to choose when entering a turn. Braking systems are identical Brembo setups with nearly equally matched Bridgestone Potenza RE070s (STI) and Yokohama Advan A046s (Evo), which work well for both cars. The Evo's 6-speed manual transmission (MR only) is crisp and precise, making missed shifts rare. Turn-in is still quicker than the STI's with a new simple and ergonomic titanium-finished steering wheel to handle. Recaro bucket seats, now upholstered in Alcantara to reduce slipperiness, hold you in place under almost all conditions.

The STI's overall nature, though still great for track and autocross events, seems to favor a dirtier environment. The suspension not only has a longer range of travel, but is better suited for soaking up road irregularities (not to mention landings) than the MR's setup. The addition of a steering-sensor input communicating intentions to the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) all-wheel-drive system adds intelligence to the STI, with a new mechanical limited-slip center differential helping to transfer torque effectively. While it may be a different story off-road, we find ourselves less at ease through long sweepers due to the constant adjustments being made by the STI's anxious active-center differential. The interior of the Subaru is comfortable and well equipped, making it less industrial-like and more inviting. The leather-wrapped steering wheel has a better feel, and the gauges are visually more appealing. The seats provide great lateral support but don't share the same level of aggressiveness as the Evo's.

The race to one-up each other comes in the form of add-ons instead of overhauls, mainly because Subaru and Mitsubishi know what outstanding performers they already have. Some of the other facets not mentioned yet for the STI include a brand-new front end (think Tribeca) restyled to reflect the company's aircraft heritage. There are new slanted bulbous headlights and cleaner taillight clusters too. A roof spoiler said to enhance stability graces the top of the rear window, and the underside of the car receives a new diffuser mounted aft of the rear wheels. Evo MR updates include a tweaked front fascia integrating foglights with minor changes to head- and taillights, a revised hollow-design carbon-fiber rear wing, body-colored vortex generators, lighter Enkei wheels, and aluminum pedals to match the MR's aluminum roof construction.

A victor in this rivalry is not easily determined. It really depends on what you as a driver want from your car. In my opinion, there is no car that will love you more than an Evo will. As a road warrior, its sharpness, directness, and aggressive yet forgiving nature leave the STI no choice but to step aside. One thing remains a given compare the capabilities of this pair along with their costs, and there simply is no other competition.

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width=575><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD class=bodytextsubheadline vAlign=top>Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR</TD><TD class=bodytextsubheadline vAlign=top>Subaru Impreza WRX STI</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>List price</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>$35,189</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>$32,995</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Price as tested</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>$36,584</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>$33,660</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Curb weight</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>3290 lb</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>3340 lb</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Engine, transmission</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>2.0L turbo I-4, 6-speed manual</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>2.5L turbo F-4, 6-speed manual</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Horsepower, bhp @ rpm</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>286 @ 6500</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>300 @ 6000</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>0-60 mph</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>4.7 sec</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>5.1 sec</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>0-100 mph</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>12.7 sec</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>13.8 sec</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>0-1320 ft (1/4 mile)</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>13.5 sec @ 105.9 mph</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>13.6 sec @ 99.6 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Top speed</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>est 155 mph</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>est 155 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Braking from 60 mph</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>116 ft</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>120 ft</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Braking from 80 mph</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>204 ft</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>216 ft</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Skidpad</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>0.91g</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>0.92g</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Slalom</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>69.0 mph</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>68.2 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#dddddd colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rtspecstext_bold vAlign=top>Fuel mileage</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>19.1 mpg</TD><TD class=rtspecstext vAlign=top>19.6 mpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

source:http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=2908&page_number=2

evo is better across the board.......look at the difference in trap speed in the 1/4 mile. Evo's hp numbers are underated.

Ill take an evo any day over the ugly sti.

I like the look of the 8 better (maybe that's because I have one lol) but I'd take the evo 9 anyday...

After owning and evo for over a year and talking with A LOT of sti owners and former sti owners I quickly realized that modding thsoe cars to go faster just sucks... You'll pay twice as much to get what you'd get out of modding an evo. That engine doesn't take to mods as well... You have to do a lot more and spend a lot more for results.

If you plan to mod the car- the evo is the route to go... If you want to keep it stock- then either or will do.

i love suby's but i hate the new front end on the sti, so i vote evo because of that
rob

I LOVE the new front end on the Subis. I'd still pic the Evo better than the STi any day, though.

Spooled said:
I voted "other".

I didn't see a price or qualifier, so I'm going to say BMW M3.

Ehhh they're not really in the same class mang... I couldn't find ALL the performance stats on the M3, but if you look at the stats they compare performance wise, but the base M3 is almost 15K more...

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
List price $35,189
Price as tested $36,584
Curb weight 3290 lb
Engine, transmission 2.0L turbo I-4, 6-speed manual
Horsepower, bhp @ rpm 286 @ 6500
0-60 mph 4.7
0-100 mph 12.7
0-1320 ft (1/4 mile) 13.5 sec @ 105.9 mph
Top speed 155 mph
Braking from 60 mph 116 ft
Braking from 80 mph 204 ft
Skidpad 0.91g
Slalom 69.0 mph
Fuel mileage 19.1 mpg

2006 BMW M3
List price $48,900
Weight 3415 lbs
Engine 3.2/inline, 6-speed manual
Horsepower, bhp 333 @ 7900
0-60 mph 4.8 sec
0-100 mph NA
0-1320 ft (1/4 mile) NA
Top speed 155 mph
Braking from 60 mph NA
Braking from 80 mph NA
Skidpad NA
Slalom NA
Fuel mileage City 16 mpg
Fuel mileage Highway 24 mpg

smp3000 said:
Ehhh they're not really in the same class mang... I couldn't find ALL the performance stats on the M3, but if you look at the stats they compare performance wise, but the base M3 is almost 15K more...

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
List price $35,189
Price as tested $36,584
Curb weight 3290 lb
Engine, transmission 2.0L turbo I-4, 6-speed manual
Horsepower, bhp @ rpm 286 @ 6500
0-60 mph 4.7
0-100 mph 12.7
0-1320 ft (1/4 mile) 13.5 sec @ 105.9 mph
Top speed 155 mph
Braking from 60 mph 116 ft
Braking from 80 mph 204 ft
Skidpad 0.91g
Slalom 69.0 mph
Fuel mileage 19.1 mpg

2006 BMW M3
List price $48,900
Weight 3415 lbs
Engine 3.2/inline, 6-speed manual
Horsepower, bhp 333 @ 7900
0-60 mph 4.8 sec
0-100 mph NA
0-1320 ft (1/4 mile) NA
Top speed 155 mph
Braking from 60 mph NA
Braking from 80 mph NA
Skidpad NA
Slalom NA
Fuel mileage City 16 mpg
Fuel mileage Highway 24 mpg

Even used the E46 M3 are still over $30K.

Yeah, I was only saying if price wasn't the qualifier ;)

I'd take an MS6 for the same price range and AWD for sure. I'm all 'growns up'!

I choose the sti. I always liked them and I dont think the new front is ugly. is the subie that much of a dog at high speeds? 1/4 times are almost same but 0-100 the subie gets owned. why is this? gear ratios?

That boxer engine is a b**** to mod, and requires yards of piping. Evo's have that simple front exhaust engine like the FS and makes modding easier. I still think the STI is the nicer of the two, but I would also enjoy a MS6 as well.

^^ lol at your avatar..

On a side note- funny thing is I know right where that pic was taken I think. It's near my house!!!

smp3000 said:
^^ lol at your avatar..

On a side note- funny thing is I know right where that pic was taken I think. It's near my house!!!

Thanks, I try to mix it up a bit. Which picture are you referring to? The one in the original post?

Am I one of the few that like STI more then the Evo?

How much are some parts for the Evo? I know the STI parts that I have seen have been cheaper then parts for my cousins 1.8T. EM costs about 650 or so for the sti while the prices ive seen for the 1.8t are about 700-800

I'm unsure on the exact cost of parts, but the plumbing is a lot more intense on the subi engine which equates to more material... What I was referring to is that you gain less power per mod then you would with the 4G63. I'm unsure if it's the layout of the engine or just how the engine takes to upgrades... But ask any knowledgable sti owner and he'll tell you it's pricey to make those cars fast.

Back