Might be buying a CX-5

lildisco

:
08 CX7 AWD GT w/Nav, 06 6i Sports Sedan
Alighty Meeps & Peeps, some of you know me, most of you don't, just looking for opinions on my situation. I've been put into a conundrum of sorts. The wife is really looking into this Crystal White Pearl Mica CX5 FWD Touring with the Touring Tech Package which includes the Bose Audio & Moon Roof package. It's easier for her to get in & out of & more comfortable than the 'rolla or the 6. She also like the backup camera i have in the 7 as well as the factory HID's. The break down goes like this:

My 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD MSRP $ 24,815
Destination Fee $ 795
184-hp 2.5L DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder Standard
Front-Wheel Drive Standard
6-Speed Auto Standard
Colors
Exterior: CRYSTAL WHITE PEARL MICA change color
Interior: BLACK CLOTH change color
Packages and Options
CRYSTAL WHITE PEARL PAINT (EXTRA COST OPTION) $200
REMOTE ENGINE START $525
MOONROOF AND BOSE AUDIO PACKAGE $1,130
TOURING TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE $1,485
Total MSRP: $ 28,950*

I notice right now that they are offering 0.9% financing as well as the auto show bonus cash & i think i'll get the Mazda Loyalty cash as well. Marlon said that he'd let me use one of his Pin #'s for discount pricing too. Thanks Marlon!

My conundrum is this:
The wife would like me to sell my beloved 2001 Toyota Corolla LE with 27,xxx miles on it currently, (bought it 2 1/2 years ago with 19,600 miles on it) to help with a down payment on the new CX5. I paid $5,000 for it off a co-worker whose wife manages an old folks high rise. The original owner was an elderly guy who bought it new off a dealership (can't think of the name maybe Slimans? I have the paperwork at the house). Anywayz, as he got older he drove less & less to where eventually the car would get started only a handful of times a year. The battery would be dead & the original dealership would send a flat bed out to pick it up & do all the maintenance to it (also have the paperwork). They would also flat bed it back. Right before i got it, there were new a new battery tires & brakes put on it as you can imagine, they were dry rotted.

The original owner passed away & the family didn't want the car so they sold it to my co-workers wife who manages the building where the original owner lived. She would drive it around town to do errands & such, but it was a 'go-kart' to her. I told her that I would be highly interested in buying it & she sold it to me a few weeks later. I've done very little maintenance to it, besides oil changes & tire rotations, I've only changed the purge valve, spark plugs & air filter (K&N Drop in). She's started up every time i've asked her to & gone through snow that she shouldn't have like a champ. She also got 40.75mpg on a trip to Chicago i took last year to the auto show.

That's the history on the 'rolla. The history on the 6 is much shorter. Bought in new in January of '06, started modding it with the help of the old c6c crew, met fezzy, lauri, marlon, phen, marc, pablo, etc with it. She has HID's, Fogs, Mazdaspeed Lowering Springs, tint & Magnaflow Catback Exhaust. If it wasn't for the old c6c crew i wouldn't have had such a passion for Mazda's. The 6 has only seen 2 winters before it was parked each winter after that (too low for ice & snow). She has roughly 52,xxx miles on her & very well taken care of. The wife doesn't really want to sell it as it's her first new car that she's ever purchased on her own.

She wants to sell both of those cars to make a nice down payment of the CX-5. We'll have no need for the 'rolla as the 5 will be high enough in winter for snow & ice. The 6 sits in the garage most of the year until the weather is nice (Aprilish) & then gets parked in November before the snow hits.

I'd like to know what you people think of selling both cars for a decent down payment on a new CX-5. She'd like to have the payments below $300/month & $300 being the absolute max that she can pay. What's everyone's thoughts on this situation? What would you guys do? Thanks for the comments!

img_glory_cx5tr_ext_crystalwhite.png

Last edited:
Devon, keep the Rolla, personal as your dd in the Winter and sale the 6. You would not get anything from the dealer at all, they'll wholsale the car. You should call dealers and ask them for their price with S-plan and see who gives the best price going forward. Also, see if there are any other incentives besides Car show and Mazda Loyalty bonus, most of the incetives change every month. Car sales have been slow due to the weather, so you are in a better position to negotiate. Reach out to John Williams, El Diablo on the foums, he sales cars up here, we also have Nick in Columbus too.

I would sell both and get a decent down payment. While the 6 has a sentimental value, you'll still be part of the group and the Mazda family. New memories will be made, the CX-5 is quite comfy and nice to drive. If I were in a position to do so, I'd sell my truck and get one of those (assuming I can sell the protege).

I don't really need a DD as I drive a 2011 E-350 Super Duty Bucket truck for work, which i'm allowed to take home & use for personal use (with permission of course). The 7 is more of my car & a weekend/trip vehicle. It gets around 20mpg average & really isn't a good DD type of car.

She says the cx5 feels just a big or bigger than my cx7 even though it feels small to me. It does 'technically' have more cargo space than the 7. We don't really need AWD as i have that in the 7 if it gets real bad outside.

See what they will give you for the rolla but I don't think it would be enough to justify trading it in. Would you consider a private sale for any of the cars instead of just trading them in?

I take it trading in your cx-7 and keeping the rolla & the 6 is off the table?

See what they will give you for the rolla but I don't think it would be enough to justify trading it in. Would you consider a private sale for any of the cars instead of just trading them in?

I take it trading in your cx-7 and keeping the rolla & the 6 is off the table?

I'd sell the 'rolla way before i'd sell the 7. It's just too fun of a car & i still owe on it. The 'rolla is reliable and gets great mpg's, that's about it, lol.

I would sell to a private party if the price is right.

I'd sell the 'rolla way before i'd sell the 7. It's just too fun of a car & i still owe on it. The 'rolla is reliable and gets great mpg's, that's about it, lol.

I would sell to a private party if the price is right.
Private party would get you the most, but could be more of a hassle.

Nick Borgia - http://www.byersmazda.com/index.htm
cell 412-956-2295

The Mazda Dealership is North/Northwest Columbus
Byers Mazda

2455 Billingsley Road
Columbus, OH 43235
http://www.byersmazda.com/dealership/directions.htm

I'll reach out to him either later today or tomorrow whenever he's working. Don't wanna call his personal cell for business, just feels weird, lol

Private party would get you the most, but could be more of a hassle.

I've gone both routes before. Both had their up & downs. I traded my fukus to Park Mazda of Wooster for $5,000, which is what i was looking to get private party. It was a 2003 sedan with 6x,xxx miles on it & 5 speed that i bought new in November of '03. I heard it sold a month or 3 later for nearly $10,000. I sold it in june of 2011 i believe.

I'll reach out to him either later today or tomorrow whenever he's working. Don't wanna call his personal cell for business, just feels weird, lol

I've gone both routes before. Both had their up & downs. I traded my fukus to Park Mazda of Wooster for $5,000, which is what i was looking to get private party. It was a 2003 sedan with 6x,xxx miles on it & 5 speed that i bought new in November of '03. I heard it sold a month or 3 later for nearly $10,000. I sold it in june of 2011 i believe.
His work # is (866) 955-0185.

thanks!

Marlon/El Diablo, What dealership does John work for up here? I'm about a 2 hour drive away from C-bus & don't want nick to feel that i'm wasting his time as i'm far away

I'm going to summarize...
You want to purchase a Mazda CX-5 for roughtly $28-30k.

You have a Corolla, CX-7, and Mazda6 for current vehicles. 2 of which will most likely be sold to make a hefty down payment on the new car in order to achieve a roughly $300 down payment.

If it were me, I would sell the Corolla (and never call it "'Rolla" or "The 'Rolla" ever again), I'd also sell/trade in the CX-7 purely because I'm not an SUV guy.

thanks!

Marlon/El Diablo, What dealership does John work for up here? I'm about a 2 hour drive away from C-bus & don't want nick to feel that i'm wasting his time as i'm far away

According to FB John works for :

Village Motors
784 Wooster Rd., Millersburg, Ohio 44654
(800) 292-8842

thanks!

I'm use to it with Nate and he's 20 minutes away.

I'd probably be killed for telling someone this, but I would sell the Toyota yourself. With it being a Toyota and no miles, you'll sell it in a heartbeat for a nice chunk. Prepare yourself for a lot of BS calls though. Of course, trading in a car(s) will help you pay less in taxes overall. Since it's not your only car, try selling it first and see what you can get for it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uqlhBI3ES1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd probably be killed for telling someone this, but I would sell the Toyota yourself. With it being a Toyota and no miles, you'll sell it in a heartbeat for a nice chunk. Prepare yourself for a lot of BS calls though. Of course, trading in a car(s) will help you pay less in taxes overall. Since it's not your only car, try selling it first and see what you can get for it.

No doubt! See what a dealer will give you as a trade for the car then it's easy math to figure out how much more you'll have to sell it privately to make up for the tax savings plus a little extra on the top.

John works for Village Motors, I send him as message to reach out to you, as well.

I'm going to summarize...
You want to purchase a Mazda CX-5 for roughtly $28-30k.

You have a Corolla, CX-7, and Mazda6 for current vehicles. 2 of which will most likely be sold to make a hefty down payment on the new car in order to achieve a roughly $300 down payment.

If it were me, I would sell the Corolla (and never call it "'Rolla" or "The 'Rolla" ever again)

Thanks for the summary, lol! to add the co to rolla is sooo much work now a days.

The 7 won't get sold as i still owe on it & that we still enjoy using it & it serves several purposes. Both the Co Rolla & 6 are very difficult for my wife to get in and out of. She has rheumatoid arthritis & Fibromyalgia, so she's in pain quite a lot and simple tasks for you & me are difficult for her, like getting in and out of car. The Co Rolla is an A to B vehicle with no thrills, other than it's pretty damn reliable & gets through snow that it shouldn't be able to, it serves no other purpose. The 6 is a summer car that sits very low to the ground, even w/o the lowering springs on it. She even sat in a new 3 & 6 at the Auto Show and found it difficult to get in & out of. Having 2 vehicles that can be replaced with 1 that makes it easier for her to get in and out & has a lot more safety features is a win win in my book.

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary, lol! to add the co to rolla is sooo much work no a days.

and w's cost a premium!

in that case, if you're not in a rush, see what trade-in is, post them up for sale and see if you can sell them before you trade-in one or both. At the very least you'll know about what the payments would be on trade-in.

Back