Michelin Pilot Sport SUV tires, anyone try them?

I too prefer a smooth and quiet highway tire. I also understand the importance of a good tire for safety reasons. The problem is that all tires are rubber and subject to heat and of course road hazards. Michelin is probably the best but I've gotten really good tires from other makers, such as Firestone(which really surprised me) and Continental, my favorite.

In fact, on my previous Mazda, Firestones were the best overall tires I ever put on it. Unfortunately I encountered a small piece of what was probably a sawed off road sign and ruined one in about 2 seconds.

That's the problem, for me, with the highest priced tires, ie Michelin. The softer rubber can still get hardened from heat and UV rays. They're all semi-permanent, ie temporary, fitments. So I look for tires with the type of tread pattern I think best suits my needs but at a reasonable price.

If you don't need winter performance, atlas force UHP is a hidden gem. You can get them on simpletire

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Michelin tires, but I find them expensive. Currently, I am using Nitto tires, and so far, I never encountered any serious problems with these tires. By the way, I bought the set with ********** for an affordable price last year.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for they say...
Michelin has always been in a class of its own. but its true some of their models are worth the price others not so much. I have tried Bridgestone, Contis, Dunlops, Good year, BF goodrich on all kinds of cars before but it always comes down to certain Michelin models for me.

Still on my oem toyos (they do pretty good actually for a 130 usd tire 19") but probably getting a summer tire for Phoenix as well when the toyos are done.

Back on the topic, this Michelin, a new tire in that size for the cx5 so probably not many (if any at all) reviews from cx5 owners.

The specs for 225 55 19 Pilot sport 4 suv show :
class A (best) for rain performance
class E for fuel performance
noise : 70 db

//classes are from A best to G worst.

some comparisons
I think the oems toyo all seasons are C for rain, C for fuel and 70db noise,
Yokohamas rain C, fuel E, noise 71db

Here are some tests vs other tires in Europe but you can get the idea.

No argument, but you kind of made my point. I'm looking for even an incremental increase in level of control here, including emergency maneuvering and braking on dry also and I'm willing to pay a premium for it. And, I still think I'm going to get a better/quieter ride. I know no one has criticized me here, just pointed out info and opinions, just as I've never commented on people spending money on LED or lighting upgrades, suspension, blacking out chrome etc., this is where I spend my money. - oh, and on that $26 bumper protector
I have the Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires on my CX-5, Don't let the name scare you the President of Michelin describes these tires as summer tires. I have size 235/55 19 and they handle better in the dry and rain then my Michelin Pilot A/S 3 that I have on my GTI. They perform better than any Michelin Pilot I've had on any of my cars, this is what new silica tread compounds will do for you. I have over 15 years of racing experience in numerous different forms so I know how to push my CX-5 and tires to the limits and past. I was skeptical of the tread pattern and performance prior to purchasing these tires, you will hands down not find a better performance tire to put on the CX-5. I wouldn't be looking for any other tire besides Michelin because nothing compares to them in overall performance.

I have the Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires on my CX-5, Don't let the name scare you the President of Michelin describes these tires as summer tires. I have size 235/55 19 and they handle better in the dry and rain then my Michelin Pilot A/S 3 that I have on my GTI. They perform better than any Michelin Pilot I've had on any of my cars, this is what new silica tread compounds will do for you. I have over 15 years of racing experience in numerous different forms so I know how to push my CX-5 and tires to the limits and past. I was skeptical of the tread pattern and performance prior to purchasing these tires, you will hands down not find a better performance tire to put on the CX-5. I wouldn't be looking for any other tire besides Michelin because nothing compares to them in overall performance.
I wish they came in the correct size for warranty reasons, as I considered this tire as well, but also noted the reviews all stated they had a bit of growl to them, and my Nokian WRG3 SUV's were absolutely intolerable, so while a different tire/company, the "all weather" moniker has me gunshy, as well.

I appreciate that, but still, you're comparing them to the A/S on your GTI. If I'm okay with a 20,000 tire I have to believe (I could be wrong) that their Pilot 4 Sport, their performance summer tire, would still be a least a little better in terms of noise, comfort, handling and wet/rain.

I was starting to lean that way, but this made it easy - I Just noticed, they don't come in OEM 225/55/19, I know I could go with 235, but really don't want to a wider and taller tire.

I have the same tire in 17 and i bought it specifically because of michelin’s claims of a summer like all weather tire, but after about 2k miles or so, they just dont feel as planted or as grippy as the old conti lx-20s that i replaced and they are louder too.

How much pressure are you running in the cross climate suv?

I was debating on the pilot sport suvs but I didn't want the hassle of swapping and storing winter tires again.

Still hoping to get a report on the Michelin Pilot Sport SUV. Tire Rack has limited info. This is a performance summer tire. There are maybe 3 summer tires in the OEM size 225/55/19. Please, not looking for A/S

Some feedback on those as I tried them.
225 55 R19 - Dry grip and cornering is amazing. The car is like glued to the road. Feedback and response is immediate.
This is the perfect summer tire for the CX5 if roads are good where one would drive. If you are not worried for a bit of harshness, go for it.
Michelin gives you 30 days to swap if not happy. If you dont like it you can swap.
Noise comfort is very good too. But some bumps and some specific road joints are noticeable.

Unfortunately my main issue is the crappy Phoenix area roads. The tires were a bit too harsh for me on the roads I drive.

To get the better comfort I switched them for 225 55 R19 - Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. Costco has 150 off if you buy and install 4.
Its a new size model for the CX5 19" (wasnt available year ago in thay size) and another amazing tire for the CX5.
Did a lot of reserch and it was that or the Conti LX25. Tried to stay away from the LTX Michelin.

The Primacy Tour A/S is super quiet and the thread pattern is not so 'all seasonish'. Super soft tire too considering the hard suspensiom on the CX5 and 19 wheels.
Great dry grip as well, great steering response. The highway expansion joints are absorbed well. Little bumps are absorbed perfect. Bigger bumps are noticeable but much better than Toyo. No noise at low speeds. At 65-75 mph all one could hear is only the wind noise. Years ahead from the Toyo A36. Mazda should have put a different 19 tire from the factory, not the cheap Toyo 19".

Hope this helps.

20210115_224822.jpg

Last edited:
Some feedback on those as I tried them.
225 55 R19 - Dry grip and cornering is amazing. The car is like glued to the road. Feedback and response is immediate.
This is the perfect summer tire for the CX5 if roads are good where one would drive. If you are not worried for a bit of harshness, go for it.
Michelin gives you 30 days to swap if not happy. If you dont like it you can swap.
Noise comfort is very good too. But some bumps and some specific road joints are noticeable.

Unfortunately my main issue is the crappy Phoenix area roads. The tires were a bit too harsh for me on the roads I drive.

To get the better comfort I switched them for 225 55 R19 - Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. Costco has 150 off if you buy and install 4.
Its a new size model for the CX5 19" (wasnt available year ago in thay size) and another amazing tire for the CX5.
Did a lot of reserch and it was that or the Conti LX25. Tried to stay away from the LTX Michelin.

The Primacy Tour A/S is super quiet and the thread pattern is not so 'all seasonish'. Super soft tire too considering the hard suspensiom on the CX5 and 19 wheels.
Great dry grip as well, great steering response. The highway expansion joints are absorbed well. Little bumps are absorbed perfect. Bigger bumps are noticeable but much better than Toyo. No noise at low speeds. At 65-75 mph all one could hear is only the wind noise. Years ahead from the Toyo A36. Mazda should have put a different 19 tire from the factory, not the cheap Toyo 19".

Hope this helps.

View attachment 279999
Thanks for the review.

Michelin Primacy Tour A/S in 225/55R19? That’s definitely a new size for the tire. Another good choice for our CX-5 although many feel Michelin tires are over-priced. And I personally don’t like low and out-of-date 44 psi maximum inflation pressure offered by most Michelin tires.

Any reason why you chose Michelin Primacy Tour A/S over popular Continental CrossContact LX25 or another Michelin, Premier LTX? Just wanted to try a new tire model for the CX-5 with 19” tires?

And BTW, what MY and trim level do you have on your CX-5?

The car is 18' Grand touring.
The reason I stayed away from LTX are quite a few actually
1.Didnt like the middle part of its thread - since no snow at all where I am. The middle part is more focused toward some snow driving.
2.Some complaints of people on the wear of the tires prematurely.
3.Some reviews that noise is good but not that good over certain road conditions.
4.I have used Primacy before on other cars and knew what to expect.
5. As new the LTX has very low initial thread size.

About the LX25,
Excellent tire no doubt but the thread is made to also optimize snow driving Something I dont need and didnt like. Also there were no rebates at the time for Continental.

The Primacy Tour A/S was the closest pattern to a summer tire from the top end A/S models in 255 55 19 and has the highest comfort scores. Has 55k miles warranty and has 9.5/32 thread as new. Almost as much as the Toyo initial 10,2.
Couldnt find any major complaint on the many forums I checked. I spent l days browsing through many threads. Unfortunately there arent many official tests of that tire on a cross over car.

Yes its a new size for 255 55 19
I am guessing we have to thank Lincoln and Hyundai Teluride and the Mercedes GLE. That tire comes as oem on the new Lincoln Corsair. Has exactly the same 19" sizing as the CX5 with 19" tires.:)

20210116-102809.jpg

20210116-102832.jpg

20210116-102850.jpg

20210116-102904.jpg

Last edited:
The car is 18' Grand touring.
The reason I stayed away from LTX are quite a few actually
1.Didnt like the middle part of its thread - since no snow at all where I am. The middle part is more focused toward some snow driving.
2.Some complaints of people on the wear of the tires prematurely.
3.Some reviews that noise is good but not that good over certain road conditions.
4.I have used Primacy before on other cars and knew what to expect.
5. As new the LTX has very low initial thread size.

About the LX25,
Excellent tire no doubt but the thread is made to also optimize snow driving Something I dont need and didnt like. Also there were no rebates at the time for Continental.

The Primacy Tour A/S was the closest pattern to a summer tire from the top end A/S models in 255 55 19 and has the highest comfort scores. Has 55k miles warranty and has 9.5/32 thread as new. Almost as much as the Toyo initial 10,2.
Yes its a new size for 255 55 19
I am guessing we have to thank Lincoln and Hyundai Teluride and the Mercedes GLE. That tire comes as oem on the new Lincoln Corsair l. has the same 19" sizing as the CX5:)

20210116-102809.jpg

20210116-102832.jpg

20210116-102850.jpg

20210116-102904.jpg

Where did you get your ratings from? They look pretty accurate and comparable to my go-to evaluation site, tirerack.com. Sounds like you got something perfect for your use case.

I put a set of LX25’s on my wife’s RAV4 and she loves them. Great for the semi-winter conditions in Denver. I replaced her Conti Pure Contacts which she also loved, but they wore down to 4/32nds in 40k miles, so we got a 50% credit ($140 per tire IIRC) at Discount Tire towards the LX25’s. Got outta there <$500 with new rubber!

Yes, ratings are from tirerack. Only place I could find something more useful that is structured.
Still a shame there are some big tire retailer companies in US but nobody provides real meaningful data or tests for the models.
Only lame X out of 5 ratings.

I did also go all over the European tests and reviews of the Pilot Sport SUV. Excellent summer tire but as I mentioned need great roads too if one wants best comfort.
Unfortunately Europe doesnt have our A/S models to check.

I honestly feel like you will lose rain/wet/cold in exchange for a very largely unrealized gain in dry. However, keep us posted as I'm curious
I decided to hold off, but at only 4k miles per year my tires will need replacement due to age before wear.

But, to address you post, a performance/high performance summer tire actually has better grip in rain/wet than an All Season. Now for cold, that's different, but daytime winter temps only get down to 55-60 in Phoenix - and even that's rare.

Back