Metal scratching noise when reversing

Hi, I can hear metal scratching noise when I back up, my mechanics gave me a pair of new rotor and pads but the noise still there. I went to dealership and they can't find anything. what else can go wrong? Thanks!

Try being outside while someone else is slowly backing. Listen at all 4 corners. Try to find which wheel is making the noise. Let us know.

I encountered the same thing on the right rear of a Sienna with new rear pads and rotors when cold. The first go round was the dealer disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the right rear without success. The second go round was leaving it overnight so they could recreate the problem when cold. At that point the dealer suspected contaminants in the pads introduced during manufacturing. Something tells me I was not the first to have that problem. They replaced both rear pads, free of charge inside the 12 month service warranty, and they have been OK since. So that's one possibility.

I have to say if the vehicle has not been driven for several days I consider some initial scratching to be normal--2004 Sienna, 2006 Accord, 2014 Sienna, 2020 CX-5 all have done it from I presume a bit of corrosion on the rotors from sitting. Those were/are garage-kept vehicles. I suppose if parked outdoors it might show up if sitting over a shorter period. After braking when backing out of the garage then braking into the first turn all has been well with all of those vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I can hear metal scratching noise when I back up, my mechanics gave me a pair of new rotor and pads but the noise still there. I went to dealership and they can't find anything. what else can go wrong? Thanks!
Is this issue occurring while you’re braking when in drive? When I owned my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I would change my brakes at my local mechanic, instead of the Jeep dealership. When I did that, they did not break in the new brakes. I assume the pads would scrap with the calipers or rotors, but I’m not 100% sure. Try driving the vehicle normally for a week or two and check if the scraping noise disappears.

On the other hand, if the problem is only persistent in reverse, your reverse gear in your transmission might be broken. I would first check if the problem disappears after a week of normal driving, and if it does not, check your reverse gear.

Back