Mazdaspeed3 Road test

You have to admire Mazda. The pace of the companys reinvention has been stunning. From the sensible 6 saloon to the daring RX-8 coup, the firm has mixed brave engineering with innovative design.

Tipping the scales at 1,390kg, the MPS is 70kg lighter than the Golf GTI, while its 248bhp output is nearly 50bhp more than its rival.

But when it comes to the hot hatch sector, Mazda has lacked presence. Now thats set to change, as the new 3 MPS is on the way. Judging by the cars specification, its set to cause head­aches for the segments biggest hitters. With a heady 248bhp, Auto Express was first in line to drive it.

Aimed at rivals such as the VW Golf GTI and Ford Focus ST, the MPS (Mazda Performance Series) is based on the newly facelifted 3 but gets sporty body modifications. At the rear theres a big roof spoiler, while multispoke 18-inch alloy wheels round off the aggressive looks. The cosmetic surgery parallels many hot hatch rivals, but its the MPSs on-road performance thats set to make it stand out.

Tipping the scales at 1,390kg, the MPS is 70kg lighter than the Golf GTI, while its 248bhp output is nearly 50bhp more than its rival. Those figures mean that the 3 covers the 0-60mph sprint in 6.1 seconds and has a top speed close to 150mph. The turbo begins to spin from 2,500rpm and stays on boost all the way to the 6,800rpm red line, while the linear response is more akin to a gutsy V6 than a four-cylinder turbo.

And the engines power certainly doesnt go to waste. After five minutes in the MPS, any doubts about traction under acceleration or torque steer dissolve, as the reinforced driveshafts and specially tuned torque-sensing limited-slip diff cope well with the cars thrust. In addition, theres a responsive traction control system, a stiffened chassis and beefier springs which allow the MPS to corner quickly. In all types of bend the MPS is composed, while the Volvo S60-sourced brakes wash off speed quickly.
The only issue remaining is brand image. Can the 3 MPS gain sufficient street-cred to draw buyers into showrooms? The jury is still out, but with the first cars arriving in the UK in November, we wont have to wait long to find out.

The 3 MPS uses the same 2.3-litre turbo unit as the 6 MPS, but gets retuned intake and exhaust systems and a modified engine management chip that reduces torque in the first three gears.

This MPS version of the 3 is a truly impressive package. Everything about the car feels just right it has plenty of power, great handling, superb brakes, a positive short-throw six-speed gearbox, a pliant ride and is comfortable inside. Compared to its front-wheel-drive hot hatch rivals, it feels as if it accelerates and corners faster than anything else in the class.

Engine: 2.3-litre 4cyl, 248bhp

0-60mph: 6.1 seconds

Price: 20,000 (est)
-AutoExpress http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/motoringpreviews/200846/mazda_3_mps.html

*Admin here...Let's post the article instead of the link...Done and done!

3060lb!!!!! power to weight ratio is insane!

"And the engines power certainly doesnt go to waste. After five minutes in the MPS, any doubts about traction under acceleration or torque steer dissolve, as the reinforced driveshafts and specially tuned torque-sensing limited-slip diff cope well with the cars thrust. "

Last edited:
Nice post Flip (thumb)...A link has been posted in our main news forum!

Just reading that road test made my heart jump a few beats...Can't wait for the MS3 to show up at dealers!

going to be a fun car to drive. Hope they don't screw the steering. I find the one thing in the ms6 that irritates me is that they made the steering heavy like a german car. Small irritation, but it makes the car harder to control in quick left/right turns.

the 6.1 seconds to 60 is kind of dissapointing to me.... i figured it woulda been faster with 280 lb.ft of torque.... looks like SRT-4 (caliber) owners are still gonna be faster. But hey, i'd prolly drive one if i had the funds (and if they made it in spicy orange!!)

thats mazda number. the speed6 goes 5.4 secs with mazda stating 6.4. The speed 3 is probably trap about 104-5mph trap speeds, good enough for high 12's with slicks.

I think I'm just going to turn my 3s sedan into the exact same car...I just love the sedan look much better....turbo kits, here I come

WTF??!#@&^ Isn't that like $36,000 USD? NO frickin way. Even for an estimate, that's still ridiculous.

memo79 said:

WTF??!#@&^ Isn't that like $36,000 USD? NO frickin way. Even for an estimate, that's still ridiculous.

Chill...Obviously it's not a direct conversion...The MS3 is estimated to cost between $22-24K US.

0-60 in 6.1 That's stupid fast for a small car like that. The Civic SI sprints to 60 in 6.7. The MS3 is looking great on paper, I just hope the North American car is untampered with. Great find

memo79 said:

I was at the dealer this week asking about when the MS3 would arrive here. They are slated to arrive in September and the MSRP is $28,000 CAN.

R

Back