mazdaspeed transmission seals and clutch change advice?

nlinesk8s

:
mazda, protege5 '02
Hi All, My clutch shudders, more when it's hot outside, and the release bearing is squeaking, so I know there's a clutch replacment in my future.

I wanted a limited slip, and I was able to pick up a Mazdaspeed Protege transmission.

So here's my first question: Which seals do I need for the transmission? I might as well replace those while it's on my garage floor. Looking at a dealers diagrams, I found these for a Protege5: 061316103, 060316103, and F40117131A (shift fork). Is that it? Quantities? I'd think there should be input and two output shaft seals. Am I missing one?

I'm assuming the Mazdaspeed tranny uses the same seals as the p5 tranny? Is that right?

I plan to replace the rear main engine seal and have the flywheel resurfaced when I do the change, and finally get to the rear and passengers side engine mounts (which I already have).

I'll do the shifter bushings while I'm in there.

Anything else?

Thx, Sean

The gear boxes are identical...other than 2 details...the MSP G series has the LSD (obviously), but it DOES NOT have the speed ring gear on the diff...as all MSP's had ABS, and vehicle speed on those cars is read from the wheels sensors...so hopefully your car has ABS, or you won't have a working speedometer until you get inside the gear box and have that pink (literally) plastic ring pressed on...The MSP does have thicker axles too, but from what i remember the diff splines are the same size as the stock proteges...

but yeah...seal wise...everything should be the same...Generally, if the box is in good enough shape, you're only going to need to replace the 2 axle seals at the differential...those get pretty tore up when removing the axles usually...

I understand, if you're doing it right and want to replace all the other seals...i'm just not sure of the part numbers, but i'm fairly certain its all the same...

clutch and everything will just be a straight up swap...if you haven't bought the clutch, it may be a better idea to upgrade to at least a MSP factory clutch...the stock P5 clutches can slip slightly even with a open diff...with an LSD that problem may be a little more noticeable...but won't be a huge deal in either case unless you're constantly beating on it...

Last edited:
Thanks! The speed gear issue is the first I've heard of this. Do you have access to any instructions on getting to that gear?

Also, where's a good place to get the msp clutch kit? thanks.

does your P5 not have ABS?

the FSM is linked at the top of the protege forum, you'll find everything you need there...I'm not sure of the part number for that ring gear, but use google and you'll find it.

It involves completely taking the gear box apart...so that sucks...some have said you also have to have a burr or something machined off the MSP LSD in order to have that ring gear pressed on...its not overly hard or expensive, but just another issue you're going to possibly run into...

lastly, and i'm not trying to be all bad news...but did you research the gear box you purchased? Are you aware if the LSD was replaced under the recall?...stock MSP LSDs were notoriously bad, they would simply come apart...destroying everything in there...there was a revised LSD available for owners under warranty, and some had their stock LSD welded in certain spots for strength...but if you're unaware of it this is done, its something to look into because you're going to have to take that diff out anyway...

Way to rain on his parade, poor guy was probly all excited about the trans too. Diff should be good if he is NA, if not if he doesn't have abs it can be welded when the speedo gear is

Truth sucks sometimes

And stock p5 axles will be fine, shaft on the msp axles were 2mm thicker same length and spline count

^ha well i'd hope he'd rather know now than have to redo everything after the install...or even worse...buy yet another box because his replacement came apart...

I agree, the diff would probably be fine for a DD stock p5...but...who knows how the car it came out of was driven...it may already be an egg shell...

and OP...none of this is going to add huge costs to your repairs...the ring gear is cheap, and the welding needed is simple...there are also multiple very detailed how-tos on this board for disassembling a G series box...its not all that bad, granted...i've yet to do it...

Transmission came from a running MSP, 2003 I think. Guy is a Mazda mechanic doing an engine swap. Based on the info I've been able to find, tranny disassembly is an hour or so to get to and install the speedo gear [I have a 2002, no ABS]. If I have to take the transmission apart anyways, the diff can probably be welded up by the same machine shop that presses the speedo gear on. Since my P5 is still running and the msp tranny is sitting on my garage floor, I don't have to rush. I paid $100 for the transmission, so I don't have a ton of money into this yet.

Bottom line is that converting to a Mazdaspeed transmission isn't a bolt-in fix, but it sounds like with some work it'll end up being a good swap.

i'm running around on a 626 tranny with a LSD from the MSP without the ring gear...sucks to not know how fast you are going..but...thank god for GPS, right ?:)

I've finally started taking the tranny apart. I took off the 5th gear cover and got one of the two shaft nuts off with an air wrench. The other won't come off no matterr what. The biggest problem is I have no good way to lock the shafts together or hold the shaft with the nut, so I can get it off. Does someone make a tool that fits over the splined end of the shaft at the bellhousing end of the tranny, so i could hold onto it? thanks. Otherwise i'll take the tranny to a shop to take one stinkin nut off.

Months later, I've finally gotten the transmission apart. I had a friend make a tool from an old clutch disk and a socket, so I could hold the shaft. A few hits with the air wrench and the nut came off. And it revealed a slight silver paste on the shaft ends after I got the gears off. That's usually residue from a failed bearing. Wonderful... Anyways, the bearing at the end of the intermediate shaft completely disintegrated. The end of the shaft is scored up. Somehow most all of the gears and lsd appear to be ok.

Unless I clean everything, and replace all the bearings and seals, it's probably not worth saving anything but the lsd itself. And that brings me to my question: The instructions I've seen have the pink speed sensor wheel pressed onto the lsd shaft. But that is a cast surface, so I can't see how anything is going to get pressed on there. Is there a dimension for turning the shaft so the gear can be pressed on?

IIRC the gear presses on under one of the bearings, you will have to pull a bearing off and then slide the gear on and press the bearing back on or replace it. It is very likely the lsd in the trans is already an upgraded unit.

I understand the bearing has to come off; I have the instructions for the probe transmission. My point is that is a cast, not a machined surface. The pink speedo gear doesn't feel like it's that flexible. Just wondering for someone who's done the job whether they had to have that surface machined

Back