mazdaspeed 3???

Hi everyone. I'm a new member and simply had to jump in on this tread. Last fall, in preparation to start medical school, I got rid of my Lincoln LS and 528i for a Ford Focus. It was a 2001 with 15k miles and in the nine months I've had it, it's been to the dealer 5 times (3 on a wrecker) for about 10 different problems. 1.5 wks ago, it stranded me for the last time. I now have a P5. I was reluctant to get it because of Ford's controling interest in Mazda; however, from reading I had done, Ford had not taken the opportunity to **** up the Protege yet. Along with Civic and Corola, the Protege has an outstanding quality record. For me, the Civic is to much $$ for what you get (even though it resells well) and I have no love for the Corola's styling/handling.

Ford will have a major influence on the new 3 and I would not touch it with a 10' pole. Every time the Focus got towed I would ask the driver "what do you see most and what do you see least". Here is what I've gotten each time:

-Ford cars are the towed the most, by far.
-Honda's towed the least, followed closely be Toyota's and Subi's.
-Hardly ever see Mazda Protege's, but 626/929/Tributes and a few others show up frequently.
-Chevy trucks are the least towed trucks, but Ford's small trucks aren't bad.

Again, the above info. has been collected from from wrecker drivers over the past 9 months, while I've had the Focus. It is completely anecdotal, but still interesting. My advice, get an MP5 while you still can.

Regarding the MAZDASPEED....

My MAZDASPEED was roughly $3,500 more than my Wife's Protege ES. I think it is a fantastic car for the money. So; it rates (only) 170HP to the 130HP of the ES. For the money, and considering everything else the MAZDASPEED has, it's still my 'First' choice among the competitiors.

Now; if it were $22,000+, that might be another story. But; as things are. It's the right car for the money.

My nickel's worth.....

Partially on topic...

Duratec engines.. here is a link for everyone to read:

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB58&Number=662695&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The 2.3L in the Mazda6 and Focus (and soon to be Mazda3) are Duratec engines. These engines have HUGE potential...trust me. Being around them for over a year, working with them hands on in other applications (Ranger, Focus), and reading about what racers are doing with them..... Ford's and Mazda's wont be laughed at any more by the Honda owners and their VTEC....

Nikolas

Owner DuratecPerformance.com

I own a 2000 ProtegeLX (canadian version). It has 90000km and nothing went wrong except for regular maintenance (brakes, tires, and regular checkup). I like my car very much. But I am not in a situation to bash Ford. It,s mostly because of their money that the team of engineer at Mazda could develop so mutch, so fast. Look at their product (winning rotary Wrenkel Renesis, 50 awards for the Mazda6. The protege named year after year in the top 3 best compacts). There is something working right for this Company! So even if Ford shares 60% of its products in their "subsidiary" (Mazda, Volvo) vehicles. that 60% is now made with the conjonction of really good teams of engineer. (Mazda mandate with the 4 cylinder, ford duratec v6, volvo with security components). I trust they will (already in the cas of Mazda Canada) be very competitive in the near future. Finally, i don't think Ford would let Mazda develop a superior sport compact then Ford. For Image reason. Hope I'm wrong.

Ford.....It reminds of my good old high school days. My parents had a 93 Taurus and it had numerous problems: blown gasket at roughly 35,000 and 75,000 miles, broken sway bar, countless leaks, burning motor oil in...... Eventually the car failed to pass air emission test and my parents finally gave up and sold the car.

I have been driving a Honda Accord for past three years and racked up close to 10,000 miles without any single problem. Even though I absolutely love my Mazdaspeed Protege, but from the information I gathered here. I highly doubt the car will go for that long without me taking it to the dealer. Just my 2 cents......

My first car was a subaru and my second was an integra. My moms cars has been 70% mazdas and she loves them. I used to bash Ford with the silly found on road dead crap because of what other people said and their experiences. I then ended up with a Ford Focus 02.5 (after the problems were fixed). I have not had 1 single problem with my car. I have know others with 2001, and 2000 models who have not had a single issue with their car.

Anyhoot, I do hope their is a Mazdaspeed 3. I think it looks really good and can just imagine what can be done to that duratech engine :D

Back