Mazda5 Fighter: Ford C-Max coming to the US

if it still comes with that 6speed manual... and doesnt get sloppy handling... i would take a look at it.

The engine choices could be FTW also:

Normally aspirated and turbocharged 2.0-liter fours generating 160 horsepower and 204 hp are possibilities, as is the smaller 1.6-liter four that we sample here.

More competition for the 5 should mean we get a better 5 in the future. I like the cup holders on the sides of the sliding doors and the compartment on the side of the third row. The third row looks pretty skimpy and the overall length may be a tad short to accomidate feet and legs. Then again, the second row may be pushed all the way back in the photo.

I use my 5 for hauling tables/chairs/stuff occasionally and I wish it had a fold flat passenger seat. I know many Ford products have this feature and hopefully it will be in the C-Max. Right now, I can put an eight foot table in the 5, but it takes more work than it should to make it fit.

Um, the rear cargo behind the third seats look even smaller than the 5's. The photos make the cabin of the C-Max look shorter than the 5, but I'll have to see it in person to judge that. I'll also have to see if it can pass the 5's test of 4 hockey bags, 8 sticks, and 4 teammates. But still if this car has 7 seats and not the Mazda 5 and if this car gets the 6 speed manual and automatic climate control (I love automatic climate control), might be a winner to me.

The exterior sheetmetal is not as attractive as the 5, particularly the thick haunches and odd shaped glass areas around the tailgate. Don't know why dash and clusters continue to get more "Star Wars" every model change. I thought the 5's are dramatic enough.

Car and Driver says no manual, but 6-speed auto. Too bad.

Some 7% of new cars sold in the US are manuals. If you are not offering competition to a Porsche 911 or a Kia Spectra, there is almost no incentive to engineer a manual tranny into your new car...
And it doesn't help that most all Americans dump their cars the week before the warranty expires - We all know manuals outlast autos, but if you didn't buy your car to run it into the ground, why get the longer-lasting trans??

lol.

in such a global car... like ford is trying to do now... they already made manuals for the thing. europe still love theirs. therefor, it isnt hard to at least offer it here. it is already engineered!

$800 clutch or $1800 transmission job? Which do you prefer?

Even with a $300-$400 clutch, throwout bearing and slave cylinder (I do my own work), I prefer automatics. You just have to take care of the fluid. My DD is 217k on the auto and still going strong. A tranny cooler and flushes or simply drain and fills is the key. I'd have replaced the clutch set 2-3 times in a manual by now. I still vote for automatics.

The Kia Rondo in the rest of the world had a manual transmission, enough said... I honestly liked the Rondo better because of the 5+2 seating but the lack of manual transmission was enough to persuade me against it.

Three times? Well driven, a clutch should last at least 200k.

The Rondo reminds me of a beluga whale. And it doesn't have the sliding doors, which is a disqualifier for my family.

I don't care to debate about the transmissions as it's purely preference. I've never had a clutch last that long (100k typically), and don't know anybody else who has either.

The clutch on my Accord is at about 115,000 miles and still going strong. On my old Sundance I got 120,000 out of it before I sold it (the clutch was still good).

And keep in mind that the cost of the automatic adds about $1,000 to the price of the new car.

If the C-Max is offered with a true manual transmission then sure, I'd consider it. If not, then no. Look, if I want a minivan with an automatic transmission I'll buy an Odyssey or a Sienna, not a [censored] Ford. Or a Mazda for that matter - if the Mazda5 was automatic only I would not have bought it.

Back