Mazda3 Acting Strange

Rags1317

The other day it was -15Below. The car started and idled fine for 20min's to warm up. I then drove about 3 miles and when i came to a stop it almost died and i had to keep on the gas as it was stumbleing to stay running. I got it off the road and it quit and would not restart ( I could hear the fuel pump running and there was plenty of fuel ). The next day in the afternoon it started right up but would not idle so i got it home and put it in a heated garage but that made it worse, It seems to be running rich at idle to about 2200 rpms then smooths out.

The only way it will start now is to hold your foot on the accelerator about halfway or more. Then you get puff of black smoke out the exhaust.

There are no codes at all. I had a good scanner on it and was able to check data and all seemed ok except 3 things and they are not cheep so I am looking for alittle input hear.

It is a 04 Mazda3 2.0 DOHC Auto. 79k miles

1. O2(S11) Heater > on Voltage 0.000 KOER
O2(S12) Heater > on Voltage 0.935 +/- alittle KOER
Fuel trim is switching

2. ETC > Cold Engine KOEO > 31Deg Cel /// KOER about 10 Minuts > 41Deg Cel

3. Baro > KOEO > .99 // KOER > .99 and does not move unless unplugged

4. Checked and cleaned the MAF and the values are changing though I cannot remember what the where at this time.

Everything else seems ok.

I hope someone can give me clue as to whats going on.

Thanks in advance:
Steve

Last edited:
Well I guess nobody has any suggestions as to what to look at next sssoooo off to the dealer it goes, ( this is going to be expensive! )

Dealer says it is the "Variable Air Intake Control" Not the MAF as I would have thought. About $150. Total for part & Labor out the door as soon as the part comes in. ( Hope it's not on a slow boat! )

I am really surprised! I thought it would be alot more from the dealer! Just hope they are right!

That's a lot cheaper than my new MAF cost me, so that's good news! I got charged almost $400 for the new MAF and necessary ECU reprogramming when my MAF failed a few months ago.

nash, do you have a CAI? The MAF wires have a habit of ripping themselves out of the sensor with a CAI installed unless you unclip them from the battery box.

Back