Mazda TPMS - Brake fault after replacing battery...Help!

Seems this has been a pretty common problem, but no one seems to have a good solution other than very expensive fixes by bringing to a Mazda dealer. After replacing the battery in a 2016 CX-5, the e-brake fault light and TMPS fault lights are on. Never a problem before replacing the battery and all systems seem to be working without issue, just the lights remain on. I've seen posts about this in multiple Mazdas, different models and years, but still not a post with a solution that works. I've seen the other posts in the community, but some of the solutions seem very extreme, like replacing the instrument panel! I've tried disconnecting the battery overnight, TPMS reset procedures, but, nothing seems to help. Any solutions out there someone can share?? Thank you in advance!

I was able to resolve this!! After searching and trying various solutions, seeing that some had actually had to replace the instrument cluster for $$$, I kept digging. Using FORScan with an ODBLINK-SX OBDII adapter I saw an instrument cluster DTC code that would not clear. IC code U3000:41-8A, along with PCM and ABS codes. Everything was pointing me to needing to replace the instrument cluster when I stumbled on this with one of my searches:

TSB Number: MT-010-18
NHTSA Number: 10152371
TSB Date: November 27, 2018
Date Added to File: December 17, 2018
Failing Component: Tires: Pressure Monitoring And Regulating Systems

Summary:
Some vehicles (with mazda connect) may exhibit a condition where DTC U0323(pcm) / U0423(abs) /u3000(ic) cannot be deleted when the tpms warning light flashes and/or the tcs/dsc indicator lights are illuminated.

MAZDA Bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152371-9999.pdf

Here is the fix:

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Confirm the CMU is connected. (I didn't bother with this step)
2. Confirm the ROOM fuse is installed properly.
3. Turn the ignition ON. (No need to start the engine)
3. Change the Temperature and the Distance setting in MAZDA CONNECT System Settings.
a. Temperature - Fahrenheit to Celsius (or vice versa)
b. Distance - Miles to Kilometers (or vice versa)
4. Turn the ignition OFF.
5. Remove the ROOM fuse.
6. Press and hold the tripmeter reset button more than 5 seconds.
7. Install the ROOM fuse.
8. Turn the ignition ON.
9. Delete the DTC(s) using M-MDS. (I used FORScan with an ODBLINK-SX OBDII adapter)
10. Return the original unit of Temperature and Distance in MAZDA CONNECT System Settings.

I can't believe this worked!! Hope this helps someone out there!

Last edited:
Back