Mazda tops EPA fuel-efficiency rankings for fifth year in a row

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114870_mazda-tops-epa-fuel-efficiency-rankings-for-fifth-year-in-a-row

Highlights:

In the Environmental Protection Agency's latest "Light-Duty Automotive Technology, Carbon Dioxide Emissions, and Fuel Economy Trends" report released this month, Mazda was named as the automaker with the highest manufacturer adjusted fuel economy in America.

Mazda was closely followed by three other car-heavy automakers in the report: Hyundai, Honda, and Subaru scored from 28.8 to 27.9 mpg.

Fiat-Chrysler unsurprisingly took the bottom slot in adjusted fuel economy, with a rating of 21.5 mpg, mostly due to a model mix rich in hot-selling SUVs and trucks but lacking smaller cars.

Ford and General Motors landed just above FCA at 22.8 and 22.4 mpg, respectively.

I once saw a video on youtube about a 3's real world mpg. Guy got 45.6 or something doing 60 mph or so. Very very good. Are there reports that Mazda real world mpg is actually very very good? I certainly think so - around town my 16 CX5 gets much better mpg than my Camry. (bowdown).

My next car to replace my camry will be a minimum 40 mpg sedan. Hoping Mazda can come up with something otherwise it would be Avalon Hybrid or 2018 Camry Hybrid with 50 mpg ...

Another article highlighting Skyactiv X
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112648_2020-mazda-electric-car-to-share-toyota-underpinnings-technology

mazda-launch-plan-for-next-generation-technologies-2017-2021-and-beyond_100621131_m.jpg

mazda-skyactiv-x-engine-results-2020-mazda-3-development-prototoype-6-speed-automatic-transmission_100621126_m.jpg

Mazda is only likely to sell its all-electric car in a few regions, including China and California. :(
But a hybrid Skyactiv X Mazda 3 should be enticing with 45+ combined mpg. One can hope.

Yea easy to be #1 when you don't sell any trucks, any large cars, or any v8s.

Yes but it is much easier when your lineup is all fuel economy based. Fiat for example will need something really frugal to offset their v8 hogs.

These statistics mean zilch to informed consumer knowing MZ has just around 6 models and out of which approx. 2 of them hardly has any tangible sales and none of them are heavy duty. (in US).

These statistics mean zilch to informed consumer knowing MZ has just around 6 models and out of which approx. 2 of them hardly has any tangible sales and none of them are heavy duty. (in US).

There is one state in US that pretty much dictates what most car makers do. California the mother of all states in US. At this point - if California said all cars have to be purple with hello kitty decals - pretty much all of the manufacturers will do it. And to Cali - EPA #s matter.
Mazda 3 / 6 / CX9 / CX3 are leaders in mpg in their segments without the BS CVTs or the small displacement turbos that are too sensitive to driving styles. For me my 16 CX5 is almost as good as a Hybrid Rogue except in awful stop n go.

Rotaries are coming back as Range extenders for Toyota EVs. Then possibly Mazda. It will be very interesting to see if the regeneration can keep up with highway speeds for which range is really needed.

There is one state in US that pretty much dictates what most car makers do. California the mother of all states in US. At this point - if California said all cars have to be purple with hello kitty decals - pretty much all of the manufacturers will do it. And to Cali - EPA #s matter.
Mazda 3 / 6 / CX9 / CX3 are leaders in mpg in their segments without the BS CVTs or the small displacement turbos that are too sensitive to driving styles. For me my 16 CX5 is almost as good as a Hybrid Rogue except in awful stop n go.

Not true. CA dictates cars to have better Emission system - Mazda specifically makes / modifies for CA. I wanted such a system so had to go to the port to get it as NO cars in East coast or ANYWHERE else had it. The ONLY reason I wanted it is not because of EPA but it bumps up my emission warranty on related components to 15 years...

Also - with latest changes in 1600 Penn. Ave, DC - I am sure EPA has taken / will take a back seat in most states.

As soon as I saw the title, I knew that people were going to comment on how it is an unfair comparison because other manufacturers sell pickup trucks and such. That is both true and false. The ranking is for most fuel efficient lineup of cars. In this case, Mazda has the most fuel efficient lineup of cars in the US right now. If other manufacturers really want to be number one in that ranking, they should make their other vehicles more fuel efficient, or consider dropping them so they can compete for most fuel efficient lineup of cars. I'm sure those other manufacturers rank higher than Mazda on other such rankings, like maybe sales volume etc...

Not true. CA dictates cars to have better Emission system - Mazda specifically makes / modifies for CA. I wanted such a system so had to go to the port to get it as NO cars in East coast or ANYWHERE else had it. The ONLY reason I wanted it is not because of EPA but it bumps up my emission warranty on related components to 15 years...

sorry bro... not true. when i bought my 2005 6 new in Maine it was California compliant... which is why it only had 154 hp versus the normal 160.

When? and model details?
Currently therere 14 other states that have adopted California's emission standards: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.

You might be thinking of PZEV for the emissions warranty bump.

I dont think Mazda winning this is small feat. Even if you took the smaller of Ford / Chevy vehicles they still will trail MZD. Not by 5 mpg but by 1-2 mpg which still is a win for Mazda.
This year - Honda will win it as it is bringing 2 Hybrids / 1 EV in the market. So projections are it will be most FE car maker.

Plus there are buyers including me who will only buy a Hybrid / Electric Range Extended car in future. Both my current cars are good for next 3-5 years atleast. After that I will see what the market looks like. No matter how much I like MZD I cannot see myself buying a pure ICE in 2021 or later.

Just like we are seeing in EU, Diesel resale will be hit hard as Govt. will tax it more - so on this side of the pond individual States may make it more expensive to register poor efficiency cars. EU and China will dictate how car makers will rank economy on its list of features, US most likely will not. Plus I feel none of the big 3 will survive another $5 a gallon gas days as they are only profiting from Trucks (Partially subsidized by Uncle Sam for many businesses) and losing money on smaller passenger cars.

Last edited:
If Tesla was any cheaper - would have bought it in a heart beat. However, did put a $1000 down for the Tesla 3.

Back