Mazda Service Alert SA-026/23 - Tapping/rattling noise may be noticed from the valve train area

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
"A tapping/rattling noise may be noticed from the valve train area. This operating condition can occur on new vehicles which have been delivered to Mazda dealers (due to loading and unloading from transport trucks or customers moving their vehicles in and out of their garages to wash the vehicle, etc.). This condition may also occur if the engine is not allowed to warm up after multiple cold starts."

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 6.26.58 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 6.27.06 AM.png

Attachments

• MC-10235702-0001.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 59
"A tapping/rattling noise may be noticed from the valve train area. This operating condition can occur on new vehicles which have been delivered to Mazda dealers (due to loading and unloading from transport trucks or customers moving their vehicles in and out of their garages to wash the vehicle, etc.). This condition may also occur if the engine is not allowed to warm up after multiple cold starts."

View attachment 319546View attachment 319547
This valve train tapping noise Service Alert looks like the old SA getting rid of the air bubbles trapped inside of switchable hydraulic lash adjusters used by cylinder deactivation. I doubt this procedure, racing the engine at 2,500 ~ 3,000 rpm for 2 minutes, actually would prevent air bubbles happening again.

I've seen this happen on new vehicles right off the truck. That repair procedure does work, although sometimes it takes more than 2 min

I've seen this happen on new vehicles right off the truck. That repair procedure does work, although sometimes it takes more than 2 min
Based on this Mazda’s SA and prior, this problem happens ONLY on 2.5L NA with CD, not on ALL engines.

Lol, looks like another engine software update in the making....

Lol, looks like another engine software update in the making....
Actually there’s another related TSB which says the switchable HLAs need to be replaced with a revised version.

Back