Mazda MX-5 Miata Noise

Dino1956

Just purchased a used MX-5 with the hard top. When I have the top closed and I'm driving I hear a creaking/cracking type noise off and on right side passenger side coming from the top. Anyone know what the noise is? The top goes up and down with no issues. I just hear the sound when top is up.I know an older car can have creaks and noises but was wondering if it's anything serious to be concerned about.Thanks in advance.

Yea right side. I found the answer on here in an older post. They talk about the Latch screws not being tight and taking latch apart to fix it, but I reexamined mine and it looks like I am missing weather stripping on the right side. Right where the top comes down. A little tore up. Not sure how to fix. I tried putting a bit of foam rubber inside where it's ripped. It worked for one ride but now it's back.

any pics?
I will try to get pictures soon. All the pictures will tell though is that the weather stripping on passenger windshield has broken parts in it. I ordered some Poly Foam Caulk Saver and will see if that helps by sticking a piece inside the broken weather stripping to give it a tighter fit when the top comes up. I tested it out with a piece of foam rubber and believe it or not it helped for like 30 minutes but then the noise came back. It could be the latch adjustment as I mentioned above but I'm trying the easy fix first. I can live with it because I don't hear it at all when I'm blasting tunes and when the top is up there is no clicking sound. As long as it doesn't leak when it rains or I wash the car I can deal with it. On another note, Mazda says not to go through an automatic car wash if you have a retractable top.That blew me away as it is an inconvenience for me.

READ HERE: https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2019/mx5/contents/07040100.html

Yea I tried the foam caulking or backer rod. It did not help. I really think my latch needs to be adjusted. The soft tops latch adjusts easily. The hard top you have to take the latch apart. 2 tiny Phillips head screw, a spring and a pin that holds the rod. Great video on YouTube but not sure I trust myself to do it. :)

Attachments

• tempImageKbJH1V.png
    tempImageKbJH1V.png
    341.2 KB · Views: 136
  • tempImagekoY5c1.png
    tempImagekoY5c1.png
    359.1 KB · Views: 133
  • tempImageKCpvgp.png
    tempImageKCpvgp.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 134
  • tempImageXDcWcR.png
    tempImageXDcWcR.png