Mazda CX-5 MPS in the pipeline?

:
Mazda CX-5 Akera
Mazda CX-5 MPS? We're still living in hope... Looks like the Japanese CX-5 program manager is keen!

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1703/hot-mazda-cx-5-mps-in-pipeline

Finally, also hinting strongly at the possibility of an MPS/Mazdaspeed in the medium SUVs future, CX-5 program manager, Masaya Kodama, said that any such sports model that Mazda plans from here-on in would also have to be applied to all of the companys offerings, from the 2 up to the CX-9 potentially, to help amortise the investment in relaunching the sports sub-brand.

There might be a sports model like Mazdaspeed, he revealed. However if we do a Mazdaspeed, it must be for the full line-up, including the Demio (2) and Axela (3). And it must be in line with the brand DNA. Currently we have no clear plans.

But personally I want to!

That ^^^ (and I) are pretty f'n awesome- not that this is a done deal or hasn't been talked about/longed for but I posted this today in driven! thread:

"Right- I saw this and I'm not saying omg they killed the zippy cx-5!! The ride is better and I don't doubt quieter. Do I think gen 2 left a bit more room for a 'speed or some meaningful sport version? Yeah, I do- and I'd love to see that happen!"

Just sayin:)

I keep wondering if mazda isn't going to pull the same engine thing they did with the first gen CX-5's. When it launched the only engine option was the 2.0 and a year or two later the option for the 2.5 came to be. I'm wondering if the same won't happen for the second gen but almost backwards. The 2017 only has the 2.5 with automatic, they dropped the manual and the 2.0 engine. I could see them doing a 2.5T with manual option in a few years to go along with a refresh or just to boost sales. Now if they stick the MPS or mazdaspeed badge on it I would really hope they offer a manual or at least the paddle shifters so one doesn't have to import those from japan. I don't think the new 2017 has enough to make me want to trade up but if in a few years they put the 2.5T in one then I would seriously consider trading up.

the second motor is coming this fall... the turbo diesel.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about a new Speed CX5. they've even backed off of talking about the new rotary rx-vision sports car.

I would be happy to see a 2T petrol with similar outputs to the Vag engine.

the second motor is coming this fall... the turbo diesel.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about a new Speed CX5. they've even backed off of talking about the new rotary rx-vision sports car.

True on the diesel...

As for the 2.5T in the CX-5, still a distinct possibility, as all the R&D has been done, it's in the production inventory, and it needs to sell x number of units to recover costs. Rotary on the other hand hasn't been in production form in a long time, so you are talking apples and oranges here....

I can see a mid-cycle refresh CX-5 with 2.5T happening......

True on the diesel...

As for the 2.5T in the CX-5, still a distinct possibility, as all the R&D has been done, it's in the production inventory, and it needs to sell x number of units to recover costs. Rotary on the other hand hasn't been in production form in a long time, so you are talking apples and oranges here....

The 2.5T is what's in the CX-9 if I recall?

So yeah, guess that could end up in a CX-5.

True on the diesel...

Simply pointing out Mazda has a habit of teasing the automotive world a bit. Just because they would like to reintroduce the speed lineup, doesn't mean they have any intention of doing so.

They're a small company focused on returning to profitability and retaining their customer base. Further, I think they like the claim that their lineup is considered one of the most fuel efficient of all automakers. That's a great engineering feat for such a small maker.

If I had to wager, I'd bet you'll see some type of electric or hybrid model before you see a return of the Mazdaspeed line.

Looks like there is some internal push and pull going on within Mazda regarding the "Mazdaspeed" models. Their North American CEO didn't want to continue with the "juvenile" Mazdaspeed models, but looks like a number of people within the company still want to push for Mazdaspeed models. I'm all for it honestly. The Mazdaspeed models themselves might not get high volume sales, but it will get more people into dealerships.

On a sidenote, was that the CX-9 2.5T engine in article? Looks like the downpipe has two catalytic converters, one after another, or is that a resonator... hmm interesting. Also, adaptive dampers was mentioned. Now that is a "premium" feature and if they are going after the premium market, they should add that to their cars.

Looks like there is some internal push and pull going on within Mazda regarding the "Mazdaspeed" models. Their North American CEO didn't want to continue with the "juvenile" Mazdaspeed models, but looks like a number of people within the company still want to push for Mazdaspeed models. I'm all for it honestly. The Mazdaspeed models themselves might not get high volume sales, but it will get more people into dealerships.

On a sidenote, was that the CX-9 2.5T engine in article? Looks like the downpipe has two catalytic converters, one after another, or is that a resonator... hmm interesting. Also, adaptive dampers was mentioned. Now that is a "premium" feature and if they are going after the premium market, they should add that to their cars.

The enthusiast in me hopes you're right. But my practical side begs to differ.

I do recall some conversation around the speed line being too juvenile/boy racerish as well. Couple that with their desire to move upmarket, I just don't see them cranking out a speed3 to compete with say a Focus ST or RS. But if they can position a speedCX5 against say an Audi SQ5, then there would be more motivation and incentives.

Only time will tell...

Last edited:
For someone who's into banjos and beer you can be a real buzzkill sometimes! There are 2 reasons why I fear you may be right:
1. We don't even have a MS3 timetable yet- right?
2. Rolling out speed variants for the entire line (albeit small) takes both time and money so if I had to bet- I'd say they'll do what makes more financial sense and team up (probably w/Toyota) to get a hybrid out there before we see a full speed portfolio announced. I really do hope you're wrong though- eh think I'll have myself a beer, think I'll have myself a whoa! Sorry broke out in song there for a moment trying to stay positive!

Last edited:
A MazdaSpeed CX-5 with the turbo would IMO... definitely kick or give the Forester 2.0XT turbo model a run for the money...even if just on the 0-60 spec that matters to some.

So I was browsing on YouTube and stumbled along this video of a 2016 CX-5 diesel (175 hp) on the Autobahn. I have to say, it doesn't look slow at all. It looks pretty quick passing all those other cars. We might not need a Mazdaspeed CX-5 if the diesel version is as quick as it looks on this video. Btw, that channel also has a video of a 2017 Mazda6 diesel and that was even more impressive...

2016 Mazda CX-5 (175 HP) POV- Cruising on Autobahn

So I was browsing on YouTube and stumbled along this video of a 2016 CX-5 diesel (175 hp) on the Autobahn. I have to say, it doesn't look slow at all. It looks pretty quick passing all those other cars. We might not need a Mazdaspeed CX-5 if the diesel version is as quick as it looks on this video. Btw, that channel also has a video of a 2017 Mazda6 diesel and that was even more impressive...

2016 Mazda CX-5 (175 HP) POV- Cruising on Autobahn

I keep tellin' you all, the diesel is a real goer! Kills the 2.5. Heaps of Torque for towing and conquering hilly roads. Had a 2013 for 3 years as company car put 90,000kms on it, then bought by own MY2016 when i was setting up for retiring.

Dont listen to the TNT's (Totally Negative Terry's) who want to hang on to the small % of early diesels that had problems, we are way beyond that now. In fact those TnT are well on their way to becoming NNF (Nigel No-friends).

Oh and dont forget that there are some very good tunes availbale from forum vendors (Versatune) that will get your 2.2 up to near on 200hp and even more torques if the standard tune doesnt excite you enough!!

Last edited:
I keep tellin' you all, the diesel is a real goer! Kills the 2.5. Heaps of Torque for towing and conquering hilly roads. Had a 2013 for 3 years as company car put 90,000kms on it, then bought by own MY2016 when i was setting up for retiring.

Dont listen to the TNT's (Totally Negative Terry's) who want to hang on to the small % of early diesels that had problems, we are way beyond that now. In fact those TnT are well on their way to becoming NNF (Nigel No-friends).

Oh and dont forget that there are some very good tunes availbale from forum vendors (Versatune) that will get your 2.2 up to near on 200hp and even more torques if the standard tune doesnt excite you enough!!
I really can't wait to test drive the diesel when it becomes available here later in the year. And yes, possible aftermarket tuning with Versatune is a plus for me as I am familiar with them and they are highly regarded in the Mazdaspeed community.

I don't understand, what is the big deal puting an existing engine in the CX5? They say, that it fits as well. They could make a limited number of cars, and see how they sell.

Last edited:
What I don't get is that Mazda makes a 7 seat CX-5, it is called the CX-9.

The body sizes are different... which is a big deal for many people who live in places where roads are considerably narrower than the US.

Back