Mazda 3 Stock Radio / CD Player / Amp?

EarthLord

Just wondering if you guys out there have any specs on the stock Mazda 3 radio / cd player / amp. I just installed a set of Infinity 5x7s 60 Watts RMS speakers. Just wanted to know what the dangers are since the stock speakers are only 25watts. Any chance I can blow the speakers? Will buying a 4 channel amp be required? Thanks in advance for the help.

There is no risk of blowing the speakers do to to much power. The head unit doesn't have it to give. Additionaly speakers handle power they do not have any of there own.

The only danger to a speaker is if you turn up the radio to much and end up playing to much distortion through them.

When the sound is obviously not clear, turn the radio down. Not doing that one simple thing is why many people kill their speakers.

If you want the system to play louder but you are hearing distortion, then you need an external amp.

about f'n time you sign up on here !

been telling him about this place for months lol

oooo, look at that, first post.

Welcome to the site bro. (thumb)

Ahhh! Thanks for the answers. Just wondering though, adding a 4 channel amp to the stock cdplayer will allow the speakers to be played at a higher volume but, will I hear an improvement in sound quality?

Lastly, I have only one pair installed in the front as of right now. Would anyone reccomend installing the last two and leaving the setup as such without the amp? As of right now the two Infinitiys give off NO distortion, even when played at a very high volume, (for those out there with a Stock Radio, Volume level 30).

Thanks again.

EarthLord said:
Ahhh! Thanks for the answers. Just wondering though, adding a 4 channel amp to the stock cdplayer will allow the speakers to be played at a higher volume but, will I hear an improvement in sound quality?

Lastly, I have only one pair installed in the front as of right now. Would anyone reccomend installing the last two and leaving the setup as such without the amp? As of right now the two Infinitiys give off NO distortion, even when played at a very high volume, (for those out there with a Stock Radio, Volume level 30).

Thanks again.
Over 3/4 volume on most head units will yeild distortion. I have yet to see a regualr stock unit not do this, althogh some newer ones are built to be Anti-Clipping. I do not believe the #'s head unit is one of these. If the max is 30, then at 30, there is distortion. Often, alot of poeple just don;t comprehend what their hearing is distortion. They think its just a lack of SQ.

Regardless, an amp can add some SQ but is primarily used to increase undistorted volume. Many people will just hear this as increased SQ of the system.

Everything comes down to what you think of the system though. If you like it as is, then put in the rears (I assume you already bought them) and call it a day. If you want the system to play cleaner sound, then get an amp.

yeah i have the mazda 3 and i dont go past 25 on my headunit, and keep it at 23 if the cd has allot of bass. you can hear the distortion at that point. i'd amp them. any aftermarket speaker will sound better feeding it some real power.

Back