Mazda 2 oil check...

Goldfish_GR

:
Mazda 2, Touring Alloy 1.3lt
Hello Guys,

I have recently bought the new Mazda 2, with the 1.3cc petrol engine (the one that delivers 86BHP). The reason I am opening a new thread is to check with other members few things considering oil consumption!

Specifically, after 9.000km (almost 5.500miles) I can see that oil is exactly on half of the oil indicator (between min and max). According to the user's manual the latter corresponds to almost 0.5L of oil burnt.

How natural is this fact?
I have owned other cars also, and I didn't have such problems but only after hundred thousands of kms..

Also how often do you replace the oil and oil filter? They say every 20.000 kms, but local dealers told me to do so every 10.000....

Please respond
Goldfish, Greece

it's NOT natural....a sligthly oil consumption into a new engine it's normal, but not in this way...

oil service it's every 20.000 km in all Europe IMHO.

Since it is not normal, what should I do? The Greek retailers, say that it is absolutely normal and nothing could be done since it is a new engine. They also recommend to change the oil every 10.000km.

I am afraid that if i leave the same oil for 20.000km there is going to be no oil in the indicator ( approximately 1 liter missing ) so I will change them in a month or so, and will check if there is gonna be any loss again.

No, youre fine. It is normal for new cars to burn some oil while they break in and as the rings seat. Seriously, don't worry about it. You can worry when you have 25,000KMs and the oil consumption remains the same or gets worse.... but you're worrying way too early right now.. just make sure to keep it topped up during break in. You don't want to run low on oil, because the less oil you have, the faster that remaining oil will break down and possibly be consumed.

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will go and have the oil changed in less than 1000km (in Greece, they say that we should have them changed every 10.000km) and I will keep checking it.

Update: I had the oil changed, and now, after 3.000km there is no oil loss at all..
I think I am happy!

Back