:
Maryland, USA
:
2020 Mazda CX5 GTR
https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/march-2019-sales-results/

LOTS of red all around :(

- 19.1% down compared to March 2018
- 15.7% down for YTD
- Smallest decrease in daily sell rate for March MTD compared to 2018 is the Mazda 6 (5.7%), CX5 (13.5%), and Miata (13.9%)
- Smallest decrease in daily sell rate for March YTD compared to 2018 is the Mazda 6 (8.1%), CX5 (11.3%), and CX9 (15.4%)

Biggest surprise, continuing last month's trend, is a 22% increase of CPO sales (5,555) compared to March 2018. YTD CPO sales are up 18% (13,857).

Recent challenges that I see are the 2019 RAV4 release and Passport decreasing the CX5/CX9 sales. Since cutting the cord, I'm out of touch with commercials, thank goodness. Has anyone seen any Mazda commercials? Are they doing any advertising? What little I see on Hulu/CBS all access has plenty of RAV4 commericals but little from any other brand.

IMO, the best paths forward would still be a) increasing warranty periods with supporting marketing/advertising, which would fit well into the "lux-lite" direction Mazda is going, and b) adding a 'CX-50' to fit between CX5/CX9.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/march-2019-sales-results/

LOTS of red all around :(

- 19.1% down compared to March 2018
- 15.7% down for YTD
- Smallest decrease in daily sell rate for March MTD compared to 2018 is the Mazda 6 (5.7%), CX5 (13.5%), and Miata (13.9%)
- Smallest decrease in daily sell rate for March YTD compared to 2018 is the Mazda 6 (8.1%), CX5 (11.3%), and CX9 (15.4%)

Biggest surprise, continuing last month's trend, is a 22% increase of CPO sales (5,555) compared to March 2018. YTD CPO sales are up 18% (13,857).

Recent challenges that I see are the 2019 RAV4 release and Passport decreasing the CX5/CX9 sales. Since cutting the cord, I'm out of touch with commercials, thank goodness. Has anyone seen any Mazda commercials? Are they doing any advertising? What little I see on Hulu/CBS all access has plenty of RAV4 commericals but little from any other brand.

IMO, the best paths forward would still be a) increasing warranty periods with supporting marketing/advertising, which would fit well into the "lux-lite" direction Mazda is going, and b) adding a 'CX-50' to fit between CX5/CX9.

I've noticed that Mazda has been doing a fair amount of advertising during the NCAA basketball tournament, so perhaps that will impact April sales.

Yes, March was a brutal month. With 4th quarter GDP numbers going down, I wonder what overall auto sales looked like. Hope we are not going into recession...

Mazda was very aggressive in selling off the MY '18 inventory with big discounts/incentives. I wonder if it cannibalized the start of '19 sales.

My guess for the recent increase in CPO sales is that APRs in general keep on increasing. When I bought my Speed3 and CX-5, I got less than 2.9% APR on my loans. If I try to buy a brand new Mazda right now, based on estimates, I'm not getting anywhere close to 3% even, more like 5% and above. So maybe that is driving people to save some money and buy CPO to reduce the total purchase cost. I dunno, just a guess. Could this be an indicator as well that Mazda's consumer demographic will not actually be able to afford their brand new premium cars at the increased prices that they are selling? Time will tell.

They do have commercials, but they are those awkward spread your wings, feel alive commercials. I just cannot relate to those. The last really good commercial they had, was the one for the Miata, where the dad grew up in an early model Miata, got married, transitioned to a Mazda6, then finally got back to driving a Miata. That was a really good one and I always enjoyed watching the whole commercial no matter how many times I saw it. The ones for the 2016 CX-5, where they brought home the newborn was also good imo. The new commercials are kinda lame really.

Last edited:
Mazda was very aggressive in selling off the MY '18 inventory with big discounts/incentives. I wonder if it cannibalized the start of '19 sales.

Maybe aside from a small segment, people aren't interested in $35k+ CX-5's. I know the dealers near me hardly have turbos in stock.

Meanwhile all the non-turbo models keep going up in price too. Not my cup of tea.

The auto industry itself is currently enduring a soft period. This is not limited to any specific manufacturers, but is pretty much across the board.

Prices seem to have jumped significantly in the last couple of model years, which I can only assume is partly due to the inclusion of more and more on-board technology. When I bought my GTR in early February, turbo models were few and far between on dealers' lots here in the Boston area. They do seem to be moving significantly better than the NA versions, at least around here.

I think autos in general have reached a price point that is beginning to scare off potential buyers. $35k+ Mazdas, $55k+ Jeep Wranglers, $75k+ full size pickups, $100k + full size SUV's. Seems a lot of people have turned to leasing in the past few years to avoid these high sale prices. As a result, the used car market is flooded with lease turn-ins that are further causing new car sales to suffer.

Just one man's opinion............

Saw a lame new Mazda 3 commercial last night during the mens NCAA championship game. Some girl grabs a balloon and floats away. Seriously. Aside from a 1 second shot of a Mazda key fob in the beginning you would never have known it was a Mazda commercial until the last few seconds.

Saw a lame new Mazda 3 commercial last night during the men*s NCAA championship game. Some girl grabs a balloon and floats away. Seriously. Aside from a 1 second shot of a Mazda key fob in the beginning you would never have known it was a Mazda commercial until the last few seconds.

Yeah, Mazda commercials are really terrible. Mazda's sales worldwide have been pretty bad. China is especially bad.

My guess for the recent increase in CPO sales is that APRs in general keep on increasing. When I bought my Speed3 and CX-5, I got less than 2.9% APR on my loans. If I try to buy a brand new Mazda right now, based on estimates, I'm not getting anywhere close to 3% even, more like 5% and above. So maybe that is driving people to save some money and buy CPO to reduce the total purchase cost. I dunno, just a guess. Could this be an indicator as well that Mazda's consumer demographic will not actually be able to afford their brand new premium cars at the increased prices that they are selling? Time will tell.

Mazda is offering 2.9% right now on 2019's. They were offering 0.9% when trying to close out the 18's. 2019 CX-9's have 1.9%: https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/special-offers-and-incentives

Of course these rates are for higher credit scores. When I purchased a new Accord Hybrid in October of last year Honda had no APR incentives on the Hybrids because they are low production, but the regular Accords had 2.9%. I found a credit union who gave me 2%.

The auto industry itself is currently enduring a soft period. This is not limited to any specific manufacturers, but is pretty much across the board.

Prices seem to have jumped significantly in the last couple of model years, which I can only assume is partly due to the inclusion of more and more on-board technology. When I bought my GTR in early February, turbo models were few and far between on dealers' lots here in the Boston area. They do seem to be moving significantly better than the NA versions, at least around here.

I think autos in general have reached a price point that is beginning to scare off potential buyers. $35k+ Mazdas, $55k+ Jeep Wranglers, $75k+ full size pickups, $100k + full size SUV's. Seems a lot of people have turned to leasing in the past few years to avoid these high sale prices. As a result, the used car market is flooded with lease turn-ins that are further causing new car sales to suffer.

Just one man's opinion............

I think you are also right. Cars are crazy these days. I remember only 4-5ish years ago the average new car price was right around $30k. It's up to $37k now (source https://finance.yahoo.com/news/average-car-prices-more-1-110000010.html). Apparently for pickups in the $50k range. That is a ton of money for the average person who's salary has remained flat for many years. People are taking out 84 month loans just to make the payments reasonable. Hell, the Accord I mentioned above was a sticker of $32k and even I thought that was ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'd like to offer my ol' fart opinion here and probably ruffle a few feathers in the process.I agree, the new car prices are getting even more ridiculous and totally bullsheet.That aside I find it a bit confusing that people want the top tiers decked out with all of the tech and premium packages and then b**** about the prices.Considering where things are presently at, I guess it depends on whether you want comfortable transportation or an electronic toy on wheels.They know you want the tech and bells and whistles and you're gonna pay for it.
I bought my cx-5 touring 5 years ago new after seeing that anything used that I was interested in was at least 19k.I didn't qualify for any of the special programs Mazda offered and paid 24k even plus doc,tax& title.And that was a good price at the time.Touring,FWD,no additional packages.And it's been a great car.Even adding a little for inflation,a basic touring can be had for not much more than I paid and the car has been improved.If there are any leftover 2018's I would think a good deal could be had.It's the new reality folks,otherwise go used.

I'd like to offer my ol' fart opinion here and probably ruffle a few feathers in the process.I agree, the new car prices are getting even more ridiculous and totally bullsheet.That aside I find it a bit confusing that people want the top tiers decked out with all of the tech and premium packages and then b**** about the prices.Considering where things are presently at, I guess it depends on whether you want comfortable transportation or an electronic toy on wheels.They know you want the tech and bells and whistles and you're gonna pay for it.
I bought my cx-5 touring 5 years ago new after seeing that anything used that I was interested in was at least 19k.I didn't qualify for any of the special programs Mazda offered and paid 24k even plus doc,tax& title.And that was a good price at the time.Touring,FWD,no additional packages.And it's been a great car.Even adding a little for inflation,a basic touring can be had for not much more than I paid and the car has been improved.If there are any leftover 2018's I would think a good deal could be had.It's the new reality folks,otherwise go used.

Much of the new "electronics" are safety features. For example, I recently shopped for a Miata (to be driven by wife and son), and the 2019 models included items such as rear view camera, lane departure warning, blind sport monitoring etc...

Mazda is offering 2.9% right now on 2019's. They were offering 0.9% when trying to close out the 18's. 2019 CX-9's have 1.9%: https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/special-offers-and-incentives

Of course these rates are for higher credit scores. When I purchased a new Accord Hybrid in October of last year Honda had no APR incentives on the Hybrids because they are low production, but the regular Accords had 2.9%. I found a credit union who gave me 2%.
Correct, the catch here is that you have to qualify for those low APRs and not everyone will. I suppose I'm looking at it backwards. Mazda is not going after consumers who shop on the low end. Mazda is going premium and so they are targeting people who usually buy luxury cars, consumers who should be able to afford the increased prices.

That's because like Seminole said, car prices are increasing but people's salaries aren't able to keep up. While everyone should be aiming to improve their careers and increase their salaries year after year, unfortunately this not doable for everyone.

I don't think it's quite right to lump every car buyer in those 2 categories. I also have a Touring, AWD, no additional packages. I think I paid $25k, or $25.5k for it (I forget this early), but anyway, I don't view it as a toy on wheels. I view it as a practical, reliable vehicle, that was affordable, but also is fun and engaging to drive.

It's not just about the tech. I'm not really interested in an "upmarket" or "budget luxury" vehicle. Doesn't appeal to me at all. So with the whole brand moving that direction, I kinda miss the idea of a fun little affordable Miata, Mazda3 for under $20k, a good middle tiered CX-5 for mid 20's, etc. I'm not interested in tech nannies. Rear view camera, BSM, etc. is all I need. Sport trim I suppose is still affordable at around $25k.

Anyway, I would probably go used in the future, you are right about that. I just don't view $35k+ as a responsible use of my money for a car, even if I can afford it. And even the lower tiers like the Touring AWD are starting to move towards a $30k MSRP (what is it, around $28k now?). On top of the fact I have not liked the styling direction since this move upmarket, just overall not my cup of tea.

Actually this's not the case. Use March sales figures on compact CUV segment where Mazda has the best-selling CX-5 to compare, most others are enjoying double-digit increase on month-over-month percent change in March, 2019 but CX-5 has the second worst +0.7% among them which barely beat Kia Sportage with -0.4%! Apparently Mazda's SA-G 2.5T turbo engine hasn't helped CX-5's sales so far this year.

Here're the latest CX-5's sales figures for this year up to March 2019 with year-over-year (YoY) and month-over-month (MoM) percent changes:

Mazda CX-5
US Sales
20192019 MoM % Change2018YoY % Change
January10,65213,463-20.9%
February13,377+25.6%13,216+1.2%
March13,465+0.7%16,138-16.6%

Here're US sales figures on top-selling compact CUVs for March, 2019 with previous month sales figures and month-over-month (MoM) percent changes:

Compact CUVs
US Sales
March 2019February 2019MoM % Change
Nissan Rogue35,80231,899+12.2%
Toyota RAV433,16626,149+26.8%
Honda CR-V31,82426,304+21.0%
Chevrolet Equinox31,44127,947+12.5%
Ford Escape21,56519,169+12.5%
Subaru Outback18,53912,328+50.4%
Jeep Cherokee18,26216,020+14.0%
Subaru Forester14,20513,133+8.2%
Mazda CX-513,46513,377+0.7%
Hyundai Tucson11,9769,411+27.3%
Kia Sportage6,4676,768-0.4%

In Australia, the CX-5 sales are stronger than ever.

2nd outright in Private sales behind Mazda 3 in the last 12 months.
5th outright for most sales YTD Overall.
1st in it's vehicle class by a big margin.

I wonder how much of the CX-5 sales are fleet sales. I see a decent amount of CX-5 rental cars around my area along with the usual Rav4 and Rouge ones as well.

Look like Mazda's fleet sales in 2018 went up 100% to 27,000 total: https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/fleet-purchases-rise-in-2018-expected-to-dip-in-2019/

Most if not all of the fleet sales are likely CX-5's, 3's, and 6's, which sold a combined 246,000 units in 2018, so between those three you're talking about 11% of the sales being fleet.

Last edited:
Actually, it IS the case!
https://www.autonews.com/sales/sales-weakest-start-5-years

Actually this's not the case. Use March sales figures on compact CUV segment where Mazda has the best-selling CX-5 to compare, most others are enjoying double-digit increase on month-over-month percent change in March, 2019 but CX-5 has the second worst +0.7% among them which barely beat Kia Sportage with -0.4%! Apparently Mazda's SA-G 2.5T turbo engine hasn't helped CX-5's sales so far this year.

Here're the latest CX-5's sales figures for this year up to March 2019 with year-over-year (YoY) and month-over-month (MoM) percent changes:

Mazda CX-5
US Sales
20192019 MoM % Change2018YoY % Change
January10,65213,463-20.9%
February13,377+25.6%13,216+1.2%
March13,465+0.7%16,138-16.6%

Here're US sales figures on top-selling compact CUVs for March, 2019 with previous month sales figures and month-over-month (MoM) percent changes:

Compact CUVs
US Sales
March 2019February 2019MoM % Change
Nissan Rogue35,80231,899+12.2%
Toyota RAV433,16626,149+26.8%
Honda CR-V31,82426,304+21.0%
Chevrolet Equinox31,44127,947+12.5%
Ford Escape21,56519,169+12.5%
Subaru Outback18,53912,328+50.4%
Jeep Cherokee18,26216,020+14.0%
Subaru Forester14,20513,133+8.2%
Mazda CX-513,46513,377+0.7%