Manual Mode Getting Stuck

:
2021 CX-5 GT-R
Hello,

I finally got a Protege 5 a couple weeks ago after years of wanting one...or rather needing one...

It's an automatic. I was on the freeway today and was in manual mode and it suddenly was acting as if it were in neutral. I was slightly accelerating but the car was not responding but the RPMs were going up...just like in neutral. I tried switching back to regular Drive and tried down shifting, but it was stuck. I had to pull over and force it back a bit into Drive. This happened twice today, but so far no problems while in regular Drive. My car only has 43,000 miles.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does it sound like my transmission is going out or something else that's not as major?

Thanks

I believe there are some threads about this already, but my guess would be an electrical problem (based on your miles and no tranny problems while in D).

Sounds to me like the cables could need adjustment in the console. They're clipped in kinda like the climate control cables are & if not clipped in right then auto to manual mode shifting is affected negatively. If shifter physically moves free but just doesn't seem to do what you're asking it then there may be issue with some electrical shift solenoid deal on the front of the tranny where the cable connects.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't see where I can get access to look in the console. How do I go about looking inside? You mean right down inside the shifter right?

Back