Malfunction Codes after Battery Replacement? 2016 CX-5

:
2016 CX-5
Hello all,
I have searched the forums high and low for an answer to my issue, but I could only find reference to resetting the I-Stop, which my car doesn't have.

I replaced the battery in my 2016 CX-5 yesterday. After installing it, i got two new maintenance codes, TPMS System Malfunction, and Parking Brake Malfunction, along with the corresponding warning lights. Is there any way to make these codes go away, short of paying my Mazda dealer to do so? (the TPMS won't reset using the button on the dash, as would normally happen when refilling the tires.)

Some of us have cheap (under $20) bluetooth OBD2 scanners that we hook up to the car and our smart phones. Used with a cheap app ($5?) called Torque Pro of similar. I was able to personally remove one code myself. That said if such a code comes back then there's probably a legit issue.

In your case I would unplug the batter for 15mins or longer then re-install.

Just reset the TPMS, probably warnings will go away.

Sorry didn't see where you said you reset it. Did you try reseting in the maint screen?

Just reset the TPMS, probably warnings will go away.

Sorry didn't see where you said you reset it. Did you try reseting in the maint screen?

Yes, I tried, but there was nothing i could do in the maint screen but read the malfunction messages.

Did your CX have the deep cycle battery for the super capacitor? If so, what kind of battery did you buy? I had my battery swapped at the dealership, this time. Doing so requires a specific sequence of terminal block and battery cables' removal - not very difficult but doing this in the wrong order could cause issues, from what I have read.

Did your CX have the deep cycle battery for the super capacitor? If so, what kind of battery did you buy? I had my battery swapped at the dealership, this time. Doing so requires a specific sequence of terminal block and battery cables' removal - not very difficult but doing this in the wrong order could cause issues, from what I have read.

I bought a battery at NAPA Car Parts, installed myself. I don't know what battery was in there before, other than the brand was Panasonic.

Hello all,
I have searched the forums high and low for an answer to my issue, but I could only find reference to resetting the I-Stop, which my car doesn't have.

I replaced the battery in my 2016 CX-5 yesterday. After installing it, i got two new maintenance codes, TPMS System Malfunction, and Parking Brake Malfunction, along with the corresponding warning lights. Is there any way to make these codes go away, short of paying my Mazda dealer to do so? (the TPMS won't reset using the button on the dash, as would normally happen when refilling the tires.). This link reviews the best battery maintainer, you can view in case you need.

You try to disconnect and reconnect the battery to see if this code disappear or not? Also cleaning wheel sensor is a good start. You can use a TPMS diagnostic scanner that is able to troubleshoot Mazda TPMS system and retrieve the error codes that what i read. Hope you can solve this problem.

Don*t keep pressing the TPMS button or it will lock you out and only the dealer can reset it. It will initialise after a period of running. You only get two presses before lockout.

The EPB can lose its memory after battery replacement. Put it into maintenance mode then reset it.

There is a number of procedures to follow after battery replacement but I haven*t got time to post them now.

Bump. I have the exact same issue as the OP after a battery replacement that I did myself. I've tried removing the battery, letting it sit overnight then reinstalling it, removing the room fuse for a few hours and reinstalling, reinstalling the original battery. Nothing makes the TPMS System Malfunction, and Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction lights/warnings go away. EPB works just fine. Just the warnings and lights. Frustrating.

Anyone? Please?

Attachments

• IMG_6503.jpg
    IMG_6503.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 370
  • IMG_6505.jpg
    IMG_6505.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 368
You try to disconnect and reconnect the battery to see if this code disappear or not? Also cleaning wheel sensor is a good start. You can use a TPMS diagnostic scanner that is able to troubleshoot Mazda TPMS system and retrieve the error codes that what i read. Hope you can solve this problem.

….then reset the codes to see if they return.

Go into EPB maintenance mode then back to regular mode.

I wonder if you can clear all these errors via Torque Pro app?

Go into EPB maintenance mode then back to regular mode.

I wonder if you can clear all these errors via Torque Pro app?
Thanks...going to give that a try next. The car is out of state for a few weeks so it will be a while. But I'll be sure to report back. Thanks again!

[2016 CX-5 Touring] this thread is relevant to me. any update to your situation?

the other day, the spouse says the (parking) brake light is on when she started the car, but it went away after the drive.

this morning, the car would not start without a jump from the other vehicle. She was able to complete her errands and return.

so, is a memory saver a good idea? or absolutely necessary on the CX-5? I'm afraid of what the dealer would take me for, even though we are "preferred customers" with them....

The brake light illuminates in my MX5 when brake fluid is getting low. Assuming the brake pads are okay, I just add fluid to the reservoir and all is good.
Also, you shouldn't depend upon a "drive" to fully recharge the battery. Many short trips may allow the battery to drain enough so that it won't start after a while. An automatic battery charger is really handy to have, although most door ajar and trunk lights are now LED and connected to a timer, so leaving the door or trunk ajar is less likely to result in a no-start condition.

Thanks...going to give that a try next. The car is out of state for a few weeks so it will be a while. But I'll be sure to report back. Thanks again!
Well...finally was able to put the car into EPB maintenance mode and out. Did nothing. EPB light still on and TPMS still flashing.

Frustrating...

Also, you shouldn't depend upon a "drive" to fully recharge the battery. Many short trips may allow the battery to drain enough so that it won't start after a while. An automatic battery charger is really handy to have, although most door ajar and trunk lights are now LED and connected to a timer, so leaving the door or trunk ajar is less likely to result in a no-start condition.

I'll check the brake fluid, but it looked fine when I was hooking up the jumper cables. Yes, I have a battery tender on hand.

Static voltage of the battery, no load was 11.3 volts. The car would click upon start and I could here the TP motor buzzing, but the engine would not turn over.

Dealer has a $10 coupon good toward their $155 battery replacement service. that is the 36 month battery. Yes, I am aware I can get a cheaper batter at a local store, but I really don't feel like messing with the electronic nannies this car has (another argument that electronic parking brakes are bad/evil).

I will chalk of the extra few bucks for convenience and possibly less frustration...that is until the service writer tells me about other things that are "wrong" with the car, like the overdue $60 cabin air filter or other overpriced items like a brake fluid flush and or almost worn brake pads...

[2016 CX-5 Touring] this thread is relevant to me. any update to your situation?

the other day, the spouse says the (parking) brake light is on when she started the car, but it went away after the drive.

this morning, the car would not start without a jump from the other vehicle. She was able to complete her errands and return.

so, is a memory saver a good idea? or absolutely necessary on the CX-5? I'm afraid of what the dealer would take me for, even though we are "preferred customers" with them....
You don’t need a memory saver to replace the battery. The only thing you need a reset from my experience is the driver-side power window, even that you only need to open and close the window once. All the favorite radio stations are also there after battery replacement without memory saver.

Well...finally was able to put the car into EPB maintenance mode and out. Did nothing. EPB light still on and TPMS still flashing.

Frustrating...
If you have a 2016 CX-5, I believe the culprit of your problem is from your rear disk brake calipers. It’s a known issue for 2016 CX-5. There're several TSBs for this EPB dragging issue which would caused EPB warning lights. Mazda started to replace EPB control module with software fix trying to mask the warning from some thresholds, but eventually have to physically revise the rear disk brake calipers. Read TSB R052/16C for more details.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

2016 rear brake TSB resolution

Bump. 2016.5 Mazda CX 5 AWD touring here.

I just replaced my battery early due to it being 4 years old and living in the desert and everything was fine before replacement. I put in the new battery and I have the same thing happening as OP and Anthony. Car was totally fine before hand and I am at a total loss, not really wanting to take it to Mazda to pay 150 for diagnoses and to see whatever happened.

I had warranty work done for those TSB's or it was checked and my car didn't have that issue.

I tried the maintence mode, letting the battery sit. Putting my old battery back in seeing if that would fix it, all to no avail. At a loss personally. I can't reset the TPMS either. Just super odd to have all this after a simple battery change. (Did everything Anthony did too, and I have the exact same issue. Just warning lights the EPB works fine.)

Last edited:
Back