Malfunction Codes after Battery Replacement? 2016 CX-5

Honestly I went to autozone and they changed it. I didn’t think that would be an issue and i was on my way to work. After the lights came on I called Mazda. At first they too thought the computer just needed to be cleared out because the parking brake was working. We had a lengthy conversation and I did ask him if changing the battery damaged the sensor and he said no. The process to fix it is kind of very involved
Really appreciated your detailed explanation. Based on your reply I guess we can say this unfortunate and expensive repair isn’t caused by a simple battery replacement.

May I ask you some more questions about your incident? What is the MY and mileage of your CX-5? Is it your first battery replacement from the factory Panasonic battery? What were the error messages of yours, just like seanlava and jjanthony95’s 2 warnings (OP and post #9 above) on infotainment screen, “TPMS System Malfunction” and “Parking Brake Malfunction”, along with the TPMS warning light in dash? And IMO I’d have a hard time to believe the whole instrument cluster needs to be replaced based on these 2 warnings. Did the tech explain to you how these 2 are related?

Now I was just wondering how VobraZero could just get away with some “room fuse reset”, and what happened to jjanthony95?

Yep replacing the instrument cluster can be expensive and your final cost could easily be approaching $1,000 with labor!

Really appreciated your detailed explanation. Based on your reply I guess we can say this unfortunate and expensive repair isn’t caused by a simple battery replacement.

May I ask you some more questions about your incident? What is the MY and mileage of your CX-5? Is it your first battery replacement from the factory Panasonic battery? What were the error messages of yours, just like seanlava and jjanthony95’s 2 warnings (OP and post #9 above) on infotainment screen, “TPMS System Malfunction” and “Parking Brake Malfunction”, along with the TPMS warning light in dash? And IMO I’d have a hard time to believe the whole instrument cluster needs to be replaced based on these 2 warnings. Did the tech explain to you how these 2 are related?

Now I was just wondering how VobraZero could just get away with some “room fuse reset”, and what happened to jjanthony95?

Yep replacing the instrument cluster can be expensive and your final cost could easily be approaching $1,000 with labor!
exact two warning lights on the dash but the electronic brake was working fine. This was the first battery replacement and my car has about 35,000. I do not believe others were able to do the fuse reset and he took his in to a technician as well. There’s people in the thread who did not have issues changing batteries and others who did. I’ve had laptop malfunction after a year and the same brand last 10 years.

.... And IMO I’d have a hard time to believe the whole instrument cluster needs to be replaced based on these 2 warnings. ....
I would have said +1 to the above, based on just intuition and gut feel alone. And what Mazda wrote about instrument cluster replacement in the service manual IMO makes this appear to likely have been another incompetent stealership wallet cleaning for the owners posting in this thread.

First off, one would expect an instrument cluster to be nothing more than a collection of dials, lights, and gauges, driven by the BCM or another controller. At least that's what I would have expected anyway. Well in this modern age of hyper complex vehicles, nothing ever seems to be a simple as it should be, as indicated by this from the service manual: "The instrument cluster prior to replacement stores the vehicle specification information."

So it turns out that the instrument cluster itself has some type of chip/controller that stores some vehicle 'specification' data, which is used and required by the instrument cluster to function - i.e. it's the instrument cluster computer:oops:

I'm not going to bother including the other service manual information relative to replacing the instrument cluster, and will just summarize it by saying that a M-MDS procedure is required to be performed whenever the instrument cluster is replaced. And the first step of that procedure is to copy the existing 'specification information' from the current vehicle's instrument cluster to the M-MDS, for subsequent loading into the replacement new cluster. And they also state that if the vehicle's instrument cluster specification information cannot be read by the M-MDS, then "perform the configuration using As-Built data". This last bit means that enough of this cluster specification data must also exist in the other computers to program the new cluster well enough to be able to function correctly. Or how about perhaps reprogram the existing cluster?

Putting all of this together, here's what I suspect might be happening. First off, something during the battery replacement caused the specification data in the instrument cluster controller to get trashed, beyond what a TPMS reset can correct. Then when the Mazda tech plugs the M-MDS in, it tells him/her that the instrument cluster specification data cannot be read. So the tech just automatically concludes that the instrument cluster is shot, and hangs on a new one. Then the tech realizes there's no stored M-MDS data (from the old cluster) to program the new part, and sees the 'As-Built' information, and proceeds to successfully configure the replacement cluster using that option.

The missing piece to the above scenario is of course that they didn't try the 'As-Built' option on the existing vehicle's cluster, before hanging on the new one. But their counsel would offer the defense that there was nothing in the service manual that said to try As-Built on the factory cluster, which means they're most certainly innocent of all charges. And beside that, 'we don't try to repair old parts - we just replace them'.

So IMO here's the bottom line on this for anyone else having this specific problem, and being told by Mazda that the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. Tell them that you want the 'As-Built' configuration option to be tried on the existing cluster, prior to any parts being replaced. And if they don't know what that means, hand them a print out of that procedure from the service manual.

I have a 2016 CX-5 that I replaced the battery on and now have this same issue with the brake fault and TPMS error. Did anyone find a fix other than going to Mazda for a cluster "As-Built" reset? There has to be a better way...Anyone? Thanks.

I was able to resolve this!! After searching and trying various solutions, seeing that some had actually had to replace the instrument cluster for $$$, I kept digging. Using FORScan with an ODBLINK-SX OBDII adapter I saw an instrument cluster DTC code that would not clear. IC code U3000:41-8A, along with PCM and ABS codes. Everything was pointing me to needing to replace the instrument cluster when I stumbled on this with one of my searches:

TSB Number: MT-010-18
NHTSA Number: 10152371
TSB Date: November 27, 2018
Date Added to File: December 17, 2018
Failing Component: Tires: Pressure Monitoring And Regulating Systems

Summary:
Some vehicles (with mazda connect) may exhibit a condition where DTC U0323(pcm) / U0423(abs) /u3000(ic) cannot be deleted when the tpms warning light flashes and/or the tcs/dsc indicator lights are illuminated.

MAZDA Bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152371-9999.pdf

Here is the fix:

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Confirm the CMU is connected. (I didn't bother with this step)
2. Confirm the ROOM fuse is installed properly.
3. Turn the ignition ON. (No need to start the engine)
3. Change the Temperature and the Distance setting in MAZDA CONNECT System Settings.
a. Temperature - Fahrenheit to Celsius (or vice versa)
b. Distance - Miles to Kilometers (or vice versa)
4. Turn the ignition OFF.
5. Remove the ROOM fuse.
6. Press and hold the tripmeter reset button more than 5 seconds.
7. Install the ROOM fuse.
8. Turn the ignition ON.
9. Delete the DTC(s) using M-MDS. (I used FORScan with an ODBLINK-SX OBDII adapter)
10. Return the original unit of Temperature and Distance in MAZDA CONNECT System Settings.

I can't believe this worked!! Hope this helps someone out there!

Last edited:
I was able to resolve this!! After searching and trying various solutions, seeing that some had actually had to replace the instrument cluster for $$$, I kept digging. Using FORScan with an ODBLINK-SX OBDII adapter I saw an instrument cluster DTC code that would not clear. IC code U3000:41-8A, along with PCM and ABS codes. Everything was pointing me to needing to replace the instrument cluster when I stumbled on this with one of my searches:

Summary:
Some vehicles (with mazda connect) may exhibit a condition where DTC U0323(pcm) / U0423(abs) /u3000(ic) cannot be deleted when the tpms warning light flashes and/or the tcs/dsc indicator lights are illuminated.

Here is the fix:

REPAIR PROCEDURE
3. Change the Temperature and the Distance setting in MAZDA CONNECT System Settings.
5. Remove the ROOM fuse.
8. Turn the ignition ON.
9. Delete the DTC(s) using M-MDS. (I used FORScan with an ODBLINK-SX OBDII adapter)
10. Return the original unit of Temperature and Distance in MAZDA CONNECT System Settings.

This procedure is weirder than setting up the DRLs on and off! Thanks for the info and I hope I’ll never encounter this problem after the battery replacement. I’d replaced the battery on my 2016 CX-5 once without any issues other than the loss of trip odometers and resetting the driver one-touch up-and-down power window.

Still want to know why this problem happened to some people during the battery replacement. I simply don’t believe those who’d encountered this problem actually did any thing like Mazda’s M-Tips described:

“This can happen if the ignition is turned OFF within 20 seconds after the ignition is turned ON in one of the following two situations.
1. The “ROOM” fuse (Engine compartment) is NOT installed when battery level is low.

2. The CMU (Connectivity Master Unit) is NOT connected.”

Summary:

Here is the fix:

REPAIR PROCEDURE
5. Remove the ROOM fuse.
8. Turn the ignition ON.

THIS WORKED FOR ME. THANK YOU!!

Summary:

Here is the fix:

REPAIR PROCEDURE
5. Remove the ROOM fuse.
8. Turn the ignition ON.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I had the exact same issue, worked great!!

Back