2017~2024 CX-5 Maintenance Reminder/Oil Change due - Last Oil Change @ 3,179 mi

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
My first oil change per the thread title was 9/28/2019. I set the maintenance reminder to Flexible as suggested instead of by mileage. In June 2020, I had the PCM update for the CD Recall. The maintenance reminder started displaying the wrench within the last month or so and while driving for vacation, it said service was required. I wasn't sure which service since it could've been tire rotation or oil change. Once about 7,500 mi came around, it said oil change due.

By the end of our trip, the ending mileage was 8,716. So we probably drove about 1,500 miles.

I tried to reset the maintenance reminder in the parking lot during a rest stop and it didn't work. Due to Covid, I've only been driving the car once a week for the most part to charge the battery and run the car - all trips were about 15 miles each to prevent oil dilution.

Current oil is Mobile 1 Advanced Fuel Economy with a M-108A filter. I don't believe an oil change is due given the type of driving I've been doing (no short trips) and having to clear the maintenance wrench twice is irritating. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

My first oil change per the thread title was 9/28/2019. I set the maintenance reminder to Flexible as suggested instead of by mileage. In June 2020, I had the PCM update for the CD Recall. The maintenance reminder started displaying the wrench within the last month or so and while driving for vacation, it said service was required. I wasn't sure which service since it could've been tire rotation or oil change. Once about 7,500 mi came around, it said oil change due.

By the end of our trip, the ending mileage was 8,716. So we probably drove about 1,500 miles.

I tried to reset the maintenance reminder in the parking lot during a rest stop and it didn't work. Due to C-19, I've only been driving the car once a week for the most part to charge the battery and run the car - all trips were about 15 miles each to prevent oil dilution.

Current oil is Mobile 1 Advanced Fuel Economy with a M-108A filter. I don't believe an oil change is due given the type of driving I've been doing (no short trips) and having to clear the maintenance wrench twice is irritating. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
There’re 3 maintenance schedules, Maintenance、Tire Rotation、Oil Change, in Maintenance Monitor on your infotainment screen. You can tell the difference among the 3 by notification message. Or you can go to Maintenance Monitor on infotainment screen to see which one triggered the maintenance reminder message. Have you done the reset to all three? You have to do the reset with ignition on, but the engine is NOT running.

The Flexible OCI is UP to 7,500 miles or 12 months based on your driving habit and condition for gen-2 CX-5. If your first oil change was made at 3,179 miles on 9/28/2019 and reset the Oil Change schedule to Flexible. And your current mileage is 8,716 miles plus some since October. Your wrench indicator should be on around 9/28/2020 no matter how few the miles you’ve been driving. There’s nothing wrong with it when you saw the wrench indicator during your trip.

Based on the TSB there’re 2 separate Flexible OCI remainders. But you only need to do the reset in entertainment screen which will reset both. If yours can’t, you need CMU software update.

Once you reset the Flexible oil change schedule, it should display 7,500 miles for gen-2 CX-5, or 100% for gen-1 2016(.5) CX-5. Your reset procedure may have been out of sync between using the trip meter switch to reset the powertrain control module (PCM) and using the infotainment to reset the connectivity master unit (CMU). Check 2 related TSBs for further details and you may need perform at least the TSB 09-037/18 if necessary.

TSB 01-008/19 - ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE NOTIFICATION DOES NOT WORK

TSB 09-037/18 - OIL MAINTENANCE MONITOR RESET CONCERNS

IMO I wouldn’t use one-size-fit-all Mobile 1 M-108A filter listed for both SkyActiv-G 2.5L and 2.5T, whereas Mazda uses 2 different OEM oil filters for these 2 engines.

Last edited:
Thanks YRWEL52. I booked an appointment with a reputable independent shop to do this oil change since due to the pandemic, I don't have access to my parents' garage. I have a WIX 57002 filter so I'll try using it instead of my extra Mobile 1 108A filter.

I got the OCI maintenance reminder message to change oil........but the oil is only 4 months old at aprox. 5k miles. I checked and the computer is saying oil is at 60% life.

A bit too soon imho.

I got the OCI maintenance reminder message to change oil........but the oil is only 4 months old at aprox. 5k miles. I checked and the computer is saying oil is at 60% life.

A bit too soon imho.
If you see 60% oil life with Flexible OCI, but you have driven 5K miles in 4 months after the last oil change and reset, something doesn’t add up. Firstly you shouldn’t see “Oil change due” message and red wrench indicator with 60% oil life left. If the message is not “Oil change due”, the notification was triggered by the “Maintenance” schedule.

Most likely your “Oil Change” Flexible OCI may get reset accidentally in past 4 months, as with 5K miles, the oil life should go down to approximately 30% based on my experience.

If you see 60% oil life with Flexible OCI, but you have driven 5K miles in 4 months after the last oil change and reset, something doesn’t add up. Firstly you shouldn’t see “Oil change due” message and red wrench indicator with 60% oil life left. If the message is not “Oil change due”, the notification was triggered by the “Maintenance” schedule.

Most likely your “Oil Change” Flexible OCI may get reset accidentally in past 4 months, as with 5K miles, the oil life should go down to approximately 30% based on my experience.
Oh ok there's a maintenance reminder not to be confused with the oil change due. Gonna have to remember to check the oil levels just in case.

Okay the past few days I noticed it was the "Oil Change Due" message and its actually at 50% oil life not 60%.

In the future is there a way for me to set it to something like 30% oil life?

I've disabled the maintenance and rotation notifications and set the oil interval to 7500 miles, which is the interval in the 2018 owner's manual for regular driving. At 12.5 months, I was a few hundred miles short, so changed it anyway since it is supposed to be the sooner of 12 months or 7500 miles.

I think my car was one that needed the software update, it required multiple resets, I was getting extra reminders. Now I don't get any reminders until something like 7000 miles in.

There’re 3 maintenance schedules, Maintenance、Tire Rotation、Oil Change, in Maintenance Monitor on your infotainment screen. You can tell the difference among the 3 by notification message. Or you can go to Maintenance Monitor on infotainment screen to see which one triggered the maintenance reminder message. Have you done the reset to all three? You have to do the reset with ignition on, but the engine is NOT running.

The Flexible OCI is UP to 7,500 miles or 12 months based on your driving habit and condition for gen-2 CX-5. If your first oil change was made at 3,179 miles on 9/28/2019 and reset the Oil Change schedule to Flexible. And your current mileage is 8,716 miles plus some since October. Your wrench indicator should be on around 9/28/2020 no matter how few the miles you’ve been driving. There’s nothing wrong with it when you saw the wrench indicator during your trip.

Based on the TSB there’re 2 separate Flexible OCI remainders. But you only need to do the reset in entertainment screen which will reset both. If yours can’t, you need CMU software update.

Once you reset the Flexible oil change schedule, it should display 7,500 miles for gen-2 CX-5, or 100% for gen-1 2016(.5) CX-5. Your reset procedure may have been out of sync between using the trip meter switch to reset the powertrain control module (PCM) and using the infotainment to reset the connectivity master unit (CMU). Check 2 related TSBs for further details and you may need perform at least the TSB 09-037/18 if necessary.

TSB 01-008/19 - ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE NOTIFICATION DOES NOT WORK

TSB 09-037/18 - OIL MAINTENANCE MONITOR RESET CONCERNS

IMO I wouldn’t use one-size-fit-all Mobile 1 M-108A filter listed for both SkyActiv-G 2.5L and 2.5T, whereas Mazda uses 2 different OEM oil filters for these 2 engines.

This is super helpful, I am getting a oil change due popup only 2,000km after doing one., and I have no CD in my 2018. I checked the oil and it looks fine.

I did the Android Auto upgrade about a month ago at a Mazda dealer, could that have caused it to reset?

I am going to try resetting it.

This is super helpful, I am getting a oil change due popup only 2,000km after doing one., and I have no CD in my 2018. I checked the oil and it looks fine.

I did the Android Auto upgrade about a month ago at a Mazda dealer, could that have caused it to reset?

I am going to try resetting it.
Your 2018 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA has no cylinder deactivation? How do you know that and what region are you in?

Yes try a reset on Oil Change Monitor with Flexible OCI, and make sure your CMU software had Ver. 70.00.100A or later according to the TSB 09-037/18.

Your 2018 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA has no cylinder deactivation? How do you know that and what region are you in?

Yes try a reset on Oil Change Monitor with Flexible OCI, and make sure your CMU software had Ver. 70.00.100A or later according to the TSB 09-037/18.

I am in Canada. The Canadian 2018 GX trim does not have CD. This is confirmed on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 brochure for Canada and verbally by the dealer.

Back