Lowered CX-5 Appreciation: Show me your drop!

I think you need camber bolts on 1st gen not 2nd gen

This would be incorrect.

Also can verify the parts here:

azdaSub ModelYearsDrive TypeRear CamberRear Camber ToolRear ToeRear Toe ToolFront CasterFront Caster ToolFront CamberFront Camber ToolNotesRetail Estimate
CX-52019 - 2019FWD/AW6741685130OEMA, 6741785130N/A81280

This would be incorrect.

Also can verify the parts here:

azdaSub ModelYearsDrive TypeRear CamberRear Camber ToolRear ToeRear Toe ToolFront CasterFront Caster ToolFront CamberFront Camber ToolNotesRetail Estimate
CX-52019 - 2019FWD/AW6741685130OEMA, 6741785130N/A81280
So do I NEED camber bolts to install my bc coils? I got the lower control arms from godspeed.

Mine is a '14 and dropped it 3-1/2", so I needed it. With the stock bolt, I was at borderline between red and green zone. They had to use some kind of air pillow, to put pressure on the strut, to get to that point. If your drop is less than that, you may fall into the green zone, where is acceptable. For $2x some bucks, it doesn't hurt to have it. Your tires will wear slower.

So do I NEED camber bolts to install my bc coils? I got the lower control arms from godspeed.
I have a 2nd gen. Just got it lowered yesterday. I had the springs and rear camber arms. They did not mention a single word about needing anything for the front. Everything worked out great.

2018 AWD GT lowered with Corksport springs, everything else is stock, but this thing blew through tires in 15,000 miles. It was my own fault, I got tires and the alignment, and then a week later installed the springs, and thought I could get away with it (I know better, and now I'm kicking myself).

I included the spec sheet. I see others installing rear arms, but the rear tires wore perfectly even, just fast, the front had serious camber wear. Do I need these arms? Do I need front camber bolts?

IMG_2465.jpg
2021-04-07 16-34.jpg

Is that spec sheet from before or after you lowered the car?

Notice the toe-out condition on the front wheels, on the Initial Measurement. That's what causes serious inner shoulder wear, much more so than negative camber.

If you get an alignment shortly after lowering the car, with the toe angles zero'd out, or even slightly toe in, and then rotate tires regularly, you can extend your tire life a good bit.

This is coming from an owner of a lowered Honda, lowered for the past 20 years, with no aftermarket camber correction. With regular alignments and tire rotations my tires last me several tens of thousands of miles, and that's with as much as -3° camber on my front tires.

Is that spec sheet from before or after you lowered the car?

Notice the toe-out condition on the front wheels, on the Initial Measurement. That's what causes serious inner shoulder wear, much more so than negative camber.

If you get an alignment shortly after lowering the car, with the toe angles zero'd out, or even slightly toe in, and then rotate tires regularly, you can extend your tire life a good bit.

This is coming from an owner of a lowered Honda, lowered for the past 20 years, with no aftermarket camber correction. With regular alignments and tire rotations my tires last me several tens of thousands of miles.
I'm coming from Subarus and Nissans, I had those down to a science! I've just never lowered a Mazda, or an SUV, for that matter.

Both measurements are from today. Left side before, right side after, both with springs on. There's about 15,000 miles on the springs, and I'm assuming a lot of the poor "before" measurement has to do with PA road conditions, they're horrendous, and likely played a roll in the premature tire wear. I do rotations with every oil change.

Okay, so after lowering you ended up with 47 minutes (over 3/4 of 1 degree) of toe out, when factory spec is 10 minutes of toe-in. Negative camber 1 degree or less is barely anything. It was most definitely the toe-out that ate through your tires so quickly.

The toe-out condition is caused by the tie rods angling upwards after lowering the vehicle, which on a CX5 are behind the hub center. That pulls the trailing edge of the hub inwards, causing the front of the hubs to angle outwards, or toe out. That is why alignments after any ride height adjustment are so important.

Last edited:
Also sometimes toe readings are expressed in inches instead of degrees. I personally don't like this because the inch readings depend on the diameter of the tire. But for a CX5, 47 minutes of toe-out is nearly 1/2 inch total toe out, which is huge. Most of the time you want total toe in the 1/16 to 1/8" range.

So, I feel it's been beaten to death that when you lower a CX-5 that it requires adjustable upper rear control arms. Regardless of what corksport or other manufacturers claim.

Are there other Mazda models out there that use adjustable rear upper control arms? Mazda 6, 3, CX9, CX3 etc.? I know the CX30, CX50 have different suspension in the rear (torsion beam). I'd hope someone would've thought of this already... but thought I'd ask.

I'm a bit apprehensive buying/using aftermarket 'Godspeed' or 'Megan Racing' suspension parts, as I live in the Midwest with snow/salted roads.

So, I feel it's been beaten to death that when you lower a CX-5 that it requires adjustable upper rear control arms. Regardless of what corksport or other manufacturers claim.

Are there other Mazda models out there that use adjustable rear upper control arms? Mazda 6, 3, CX9, CX3 etc.? I know the CX30, CX50 have different suspension in the rear (torsion beam). I'd hope someone would've thought of this already... but thought I'd ask.

I'm a bit apprehensive buying/using aftermarket 'Godspeed' or 'Megan Racing' suspension parts, as I live in the Midwest with snow/salted roads.
Jersey here so we’re not shy on the road salt.

My Godspeed arms have rust after a year… corksport has a set. Doesn’t list the kf cx5 but neither did my Godspeed. I’m sure they’re interchangeable and much better quality.

Question...is anybody running a FWD CX-5 with CorkSport springs or any other brands? I've been wanting to drop mine for a while and wasn't sure if the CorkSport ones would fit the same since they were advertised on an AWD model.

Back