Knock noise from front of CX-5

CombatSailor

2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport 2.5, 150k miles
I have a knock from what seems to be the front drivers side at slow speeds when going over bumps. It's sporadic. I replaced the control arms that included ball joints and bushings. Also replaced the front struts. No movement to the steering wheel or vibration just the noise. Tires are wearing even. It's been to two mechanics that haven't been able to track down the issue. Any ideas?

Bushings and ball joints came with the replaced control arms.

I should update my profile. The car now has 150k on it

I have a knock from what seems to be the front drivers side at slow speeds when going over bumps. It's sporadic. I replaced the control arms that included ball joints and bushings. Also replaced the front struts. No movement to the steering wheel or vibration just the noise. Tires are wearing even. It's been to two mechanics that haven't been able to track down the issue. Any ideas?
Motor mounts, tranny mounts, sway bar, calipers, bolts ??? Did they check everything? You sure there nothing inside the car under the seat, loose tools, etc.? Are the calipers and brackets bolted tight?

Engine mount on passenger side is good. I've been debating between a tranny mount or wheel bearing. But neither has any symptom beyond the noise. The noise is definitely from outside the car.

My 2014 just turned 60K miles. A few months ago I changed my sway bar end links. I had one bad one that would knock over the slightest bump. Found it by grabbing and shaking it .The ball stud was loose and moved in and out of the socket. Didn't feel any vertical play. Boots were torn on both. That's one thing to check for sure.

My 2016 has 72K miles and i'm hearing/feeling a knocking in the front end as well. Only happens when i make left turns at slow speeds and especially noticeable when hitting bumps at the same time. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough. Brought it to a shop today, looked under the car, checked bushings, control arms, axle, ball joints, shocks and struts. he said everything looks tight and fantastic. He test drove it. Didn't hear the knocking and put it on the lift again to double check. Didn't find anything. This forum proves i'm not going crazy. I will check what Jmaz said though.

Came here looking for same thing. I can hear the knock on drivers side at the least. Removed wheel and everything feels tight, some rubber bushings are dry cracked or torn though. Made sure all under plastic pieces were secure and can't find anything in the engine bay that could be it.
Happens driving down the road even on the smallest bumps. If I aggressively steer left/right I can hear it. Shock seems ok, pushing up/down on fender barely moves it.
I have a 2015 GT with 125k ish miles.

Anyone had this and found the fix yet? Where did you get the parts needed if so
Thanks

Edit: Might need the protector on the coil spring I have seen from another thread.

Last edited:
Back