CX-5 KF JDM headlights

:
'21 CX-5 CE-T
Noticed on the cx5 HKS exhaust video that the car had different headlights. Took me a while to figure it out. But on the JDM GL models the parking lights are on the outside The inner blinkers only flash and are not on constantly with the parking lights.

Screenshot_20211021-175402.png

I know its a minimal pointless change, but I like this much better than the USDM models.

I wonder what it would take to achieve this.

The USDM models have a 'blank' in the headlight, I wonder if the reflector is behind the 'blank'. It may be an easy mod.

My BIL used to stay in Japan for 3+ years. When he took his Dodge truck with him, he had to make a few modifications to be street legal. No red turn signal was one of them. I believe this headlight issue is one of them, and you may be able to buy one in Japanese EBay?

Noticed on the cx5 HKS exhaust video that the car had different headlights. Took me a while to figure it out. But on the JDM GL models the parking lights are on the outside The inner blinkers only flash and are not on constantly with the parking lights.

View attachment 304080

I know its a minimal pointless change, but I like this much better than the USDM models.

I wonder what it would take to achieve this.

The USDM models have a 'blank' in the headlight, I wonder if the reflector is behind the 'blank'. It may be an easy mod.
I did a similar mod to front turn signals of my 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech Package which has LED accent strips serving as parking lights and DRLs. The front amber turn signals do have dual-filament 7444NA bulb which also serve as parking lights. I disabled the parking light on the 7444NA bulb so that the LED headlights look like those on other regions including the JDM. The only thing left is the US only front amber side reflectors.

Simplest Mod for Your 2016 CX-5 Front Turn Signals with LED Lightings

On gen-2 CX-5 if you have LED accent strips that have served as parking lights, the turn signals are dedicated although the visibility is very poor due to the in-board location. If you don’t, not much you can do to preserve both functions at two different locations. You may have to get entire headlight assembly with LED accent strips which will be costly. The easier way to get something better than USDM version is to get 7444 LED bulb with “switch-back” function. You gets white light as parking lights, and on-off-on-off effect on turn signal mode.

The screenshot you have isn’t the JDM based on the front license plate. The parking lights are on the outer side for gen-2 CX-5 which is the first time I’ve seen.

For US version lightings here are gen-2 CX-5 Touring without LED accent strips which should be your version:

6FA8FC76-FEF3-4C2B-945D-CB588EA9E844.jpeg

BA6B94F4-B316-4563-B19D-377234A11B8B.jpeg

47C3664B-548D-42F0-855C-CAF35BB7FD0B.jpeg

Here are gen-2 CX-5 GT with LED accent strips:

0E451018-CD12-4ACB-B290-BBF2290745C3.jpeg

EF5AB95B-BF73-4D13-89C9-A5655F3C8920.jpeg

here is another comparison shot of the CX5 GL compared to the , note the reflector on the outside of the LED headlight.

1635008359021.png

a close up

1635009716512.png

1635009789628.png

Really makes me wonder if the reflector is behind the cover in the USDM models. I really doubt Mazda would make a whole new assembly or part for a lower-model vehicle as opposed to just installing a panel.

Again, it's a small detail, but it raises my curiosity.

Last edited:
It's a pretty simple mod to achieve this look on your cx5. All you need to do is swap out the headlight assemblies for the ones from the JDM GL model. The parking lights on the JDM model are on the outside, with the inner blinkers only flashing. I think this looks much better than the USDM version, and it's not too difficult to do. And also, it reminds me of the rx7. These days I found a Mazda rx 7 for sale, which gave me headaches because I am now in a dilemma in deciding to buy it. What do you think? Is it worth it?

Last edited:
It's a pretty simple mod to achieve this look on your cx5. All you need to do is swap out the headlight assemblies for the ones from the JDM GL model. The parking lights on the JDM model are on the outside, with the inner blinkers only flashing.
You can’t simply just swap out a US-spec headlight assembly with a JDM version, due to the light pattern is opposite with RHD vehicles in Japan. Besides, those LED headlight assemblies are very expensive (>$1,000USD EACH) especially with AFS!

Back