"Keyless System Malfunction" warning on dash (2019 CX-5)

I have a 2019 cx5, and I just took it to a body shop to repair some dents and scratches on the passenger side door and front fender. Car did not have this error when I turned the car in, but once I picked it up from the shop, I have this error on the dash.

Symptoms of the issue are that I cannot use the button on the outside door handle to unlock the doors. Also, the automatic lock when I walk away from the car does not happen either.

Before I go any further, does anyone know of any fixes? Just googling the that dash error, a lot of people have mentioned checking the fob and car batteries (both are fine), and then disconnecting the car battery to reset the car ECU. It seemed like no one really knew what was going on and just throwing suggestions out there. Of course, no one who encountered this problem reported back whether any of these proposed fixes actually fixed the issue. That said, I disconnected the car battery for an hour since it was the only consistent suggestion, and yet the issue persists.

I checked for codes on my OBD scanner and it gave me "B1210-1F" which, after googling, seems to be some short circuit in the keyless entry system.
More googling found this 2014 Mazda 6 troubleshooting guide specifically for that error code. I also found this keyless antenna removal/installation guide for the CX5, but not in conjunction with the error code.

Is there a place I can check error codes online where I can get CX5-related troubleshooting? Or can anyone confirm that the CX5 service manual link I posted even what I need to be doing to hopefully repair this?

Or, ignoring any of my own research and leading questions, does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this issue? Dealer is an hour away, would like to avoid going to them. Also, not sure whether the body shop I worked with would know how to fix this, or whether it's worth it to go back to them and ask them to help fix? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide

Read the other link about Keyless entry not working on this forum and you may have your answer.

its possible that they disconnected the system. If they removed the door panels to fix the dents from inside, etc. Who knows what they did.
Best to go back for them to fix it or if you have the time remove the panels yourself and look around.

Are any fuses blown? That's the first thing I check if anything electrical goes wrong.

Is it still under warranty? If so, I would take it to a dealer and not mention the body repair to see how they diagnose it

I am having the same situation! Just picked up my 2019 CX-5 from the body shop after a left fender/driver door repair and am getting the keyless system malfunction error where the lock buttons on the outside of the car are no longer functioning. How did you get the issue resolved? I’m considering having the Mazda dealership fix it and billing the body shop/body shop insurance.

There is a sensor inside the door. Maybe that was damaged or disconnected by whoever did the fix per se.

Did you fix this or was able to find the solution? I got my car today as well from fender bender repair. My car has same warning on dashboard. All batteries are working fine. Its just cannot use the button on the outside door handle to unlock the doors. And same with the automatic lock when I walk away.

Did you fix this or was able to find the solution? I got my car today as well from fender bender repair. My car has same warning on dashboard. All batteries are working fine. Its just cannot use the button on the outside door handle to unlock the doors. And same with the automatic lock when I walk away.
Yes it got fixed immediately. I brought the car back to the body shop right when they opened and explained that I thought that they forgot to reattach a sensor related to the button on the door. I guess this feature isn’t common on many cars and the step was missed. It was fixed in under 20 minutes.

Yes it got fixed immediately. I brought the car back to the body shop right when they opened and explained that I thought that they forgot to reattach a sensor related to the button on the door. I guess this feature isn’t common on many cars and the step was missed. It was fixed in under 20 minutes.
Good to hear that. I called the body shop and asked. They said they had not removed any sensor related to the request-switch on the door. So I am confused about what should be done. I have taken an appointment to take to dear in 2 weeks. Also, I realized my trunk button is not working even the key in my hand. So, maybe the body shop messed up in wiring or something.

I would be surprised if it wasn't what the OP mentioned. Maybe they removed to door handle to paint the door and forgot to attach the wiring when they replaced it?

I would be surprised if it wasn't what the OP mentioned. Maybe they removed to door handle to paint the door and forgot to attach the wiring when they replaced it?
Maybe but now the body shop is saying they attached everything correctly after painting. So, I am confused what should I do now.

Maybe but now the body shop is saying they attached everything correctly after painting. So, I am confused what should I do now.
Doesn't matter. It was working before you took it to them. Take it back and explain the problem.. either they disconnected a sensor or the ECM needs reset by battery disconnect.

I had same problem with my hatch. However I had my body work done by a dealer owned body shop. Over the phone they tried to say they did nothing wrong. I showed up during working hours and explained the problem. They fixed it within 20 minutes. It took that long because some of the body people, incl the manager who weren't familiar with Mazdas didn't know what to do. One of their more knowledgeable employees did the battery disconnect.
* The dealer is multifaceted and has many different manufacturers.

Plus the dealer may charge you alot to correct something that was the body shops fault.

Remember it's alot easier for people to dismiss the problem and say it's not their fault by phone. They tend to at least meet you halfway when you stand in front of them face to face.

If they won't correct it, call your insurance company, explain the problem and have them hold the check til it's fixed. Better do it quick though.

If the body shop was on the insurance approved list and they don't or won't fix it then explain to the body shop you'll be informing the insurance company of their lackluster service.
Hopefully you used a body shop from your insurance recommended list.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 cx5, and I just took it to a body shop to repair some dents and scratches on the passenger side door and front fender. Car did not have this error when I turned the car in, but once I picked it up from the shop, I have this error on the dash.

Symptoms of the issue are that I cannot use the button on the outside door handle to unlock the doors. Also, the automatic lock when I walk away from the car does not happen either.

Before I go any further, does anyone know of any fixes? Just googling the that dash error, a lot of people have mentioned checking the fob and car batteries (both are fine), and then disconnecting the car battery to reset the car ECU. It seemed like no one really knew what was going on and just throwing suggestions out there. Of course, no one who encountered this problem reported back whether any of these proposed fixes actually fixed the issue. That said, I disconnected the car battery for an hour since it was the only consistent suggestion, and yet the issue persists.

I checked for codes on my OBD scanner and it gave me "B1210-1F" which, after googling, seems to be some short circuit in the keyless entry system.
More googling found this 2014 Mazda 6 troubleshooting guide specifically for that error code. I also found this keyless antenna removal/installation guide for the CX5, but not in conjunction with the error code.

Is there a place I can check error codes online where I can get CX5-related troubleshooting? Or can anyone confirm that the CX5 service manual link I posted even what I need to be doing to hopefully repair this?

Or, ignoring any of my own research and leading questions, does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this issue? Dealer is an hour away, would like to avoid going to them. Also, not sure whether the body shop I worked with would know how to fix this, or whether it's worth it to go back to them and ask them to help fix? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide
Hey, did you ever figure out what was wrong? Literally just picked my 2021 CX5 up from a repair shop and this was on the dash. It is starting, but with my luck that won't last long.

Julie,
As Jack said, might want to try disconnecting the (-) terminal of the battery, wait for 10 mins, connect it back. The wait time is needed to fully drain the parasitic charge and trigger a full reset. After that, you might lose some setting (auto-up window, FM stations, etc.), but those can be set again. That goes back to factory setting... Your car will forget what it learned from your driving.

If that does not work, you should talk to insurance representative again.
You got into an accident, whether it's your fault or other's, insurance agent needs to close the case. As it stands now, the case is not closed. Your vehicle is still broken.

You may talk to the body shop, but they might play innocent ... "I swear, I did not touch that...".
Insurance agent can intervene and find out who should do what to close the case.

Try putting a new battery in the key Fob. Reprogram the Fob by locking the doors from inside the car. Keep the Fob near the center console and lock the doors.

Julie,
As Jack said, might want to try disconnecting the (-) terminal of the battery, wait for 10 mins, connect it back. The wait time is needed to fully drain the parasitic charge and trigger a full reset. After that, you might lose some setting (auto-up window, FM stations, etc.), but those can be set again. That goes back to factory setting... Your car will forget what it learned from your driving.

If that does not work, you should talk to insurance representative again.
You got into an accident, whether it's your fault or other's, insurance agent needs to close the case. As it stands now, the case is not closed. Your vehicle is still broken.

You may talk to the body shop, but they might play innocent ... "I swear, I did not touch that...".
Insurance agent can intervene and find out who should do what to close the case.

Just to add, when disconnecting the battery, you can speed up the wait time by depressing the brake pedal just enough to get the brake lights to come on.

Hey, did you ever figure out what was wrong? Literally just picked my 2021 CX5 up from a repair shop and this was on the dash. It is starting, but with my luck that
Hey, did you ever figure out what was wrong? Literally just picked my 2021 CX5 up from a repair shop and this was on the dash. It is starting, but with my luck that won't last long.
Yea I called the shop today and got the I'm pretty new here so I'll have to ask the manager about that and call you back. Didn't hear a peep. I said though if their guys are incapable of fixing it then they will need to admit that to my insurance company so Mazda can fix it. I picked it up when they were closing on Thursday so I couldn't go back in. Whoever parked the car had to of seen that on the dash.

Back