Key, flip key part #'s compiled

icspots

Paramagic
:
2012 Mazda 5
I haven't seen anything recently about this, and certainly nothing that included new part numbers. Just thought I'd put all of these together in one place and make it so people didn't have to wade through multiple threads/pages just to find the parts that work. Plus these prices are way cheaper than all the previous threads have said.

Enjoy.

Listed below are the keys/remotes (standard or flip style) that we know can be programmed to the Mz3. For key purchases, if you provide your VIN to Jason he'll cut your key to your car before shipping. There are premade kits on onlinemazdaparts that combine the appropriate keys/remotes for your convenience. All prices include shipping.

Standard key/remote (non flip style):

-Mz3 transponder key ('04-'07): Part number F1Y1762GX. MSRP-$23.65, Website-$18.92
-Mz3 remote fob ('04-'06): Part number BN8P675RY. MSRP-$76.29, Website-$61.03
-Mz3 remote fob ('07): Part number BAN6675RY. MSRP-$141.05, Website-$117.84

Flip key; key portion: You need both a key portion, and a remote portion (see below for remotes)

-flip key blank with transponder chip: Part number G2YA762GXA MSRP-$47.45, Website-$37.96

Flip key; remote fob:

-Mz6 flip remote fob ('06): Part number GP7A675RY MSPR-$46.35, Website-$37.08 works with '04-'06 models
-MX-5 flip remote fob ('05): Part number NE01675RYA MSRP-$186.20, Website-$148.96works with '04-'06 models
[/list]

Note: All 2007+ US Mz3 models (MS3 included) have a different KEU than that in earlier models. Currently there are NO flip key remotes that can be programmed with the US 2007 Mz3 computer. Canadian owners should still be able to buy the Canadian Mz3 flip key.

Note: In order to program an extra key into your system yourself you need to have at least two working keys. If you only have one of either then you need to go to the dealer to have them programmed in. There is no minimum number or working remotes to program in extra. You can have up to eight keys and three remotes

Programming Guides for keys/remotes:
(courtesty of TGM3)​

Key Programming Instructions

1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second ( wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.

2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.

3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it before.

Remote Programming Instructions

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

Last edited:
how can i, or can i even, program the remote part of the flip key to use the same signal my aftermarket alarm uses?

lock/unlock, panic, remote start

i'd like to have one less thing on my keyring to carry around

keleko said:
how can i, or can i even, program the remote part of the flip key to use the same signal my aftermarket alarm uses?

lock/unlock, panic, remote start

i'd like to have one less thing on my keyring to carry around

I don't think you can, unless you can get the guts of your aftermarket alarm remote to fit into the case for the mazda flip key.

FrolessWonder said:
Is it possible to use a flip key on a protege5? I would love to have one.

I seem to remember being told that the regular mazda 3 key will work with the P5, since it's the same kind of key and the P5 just doesn't need the chip (so that just kinda chills in the key and does nothing).

I don't know that the Mz6 remote will talk to the keyless entry system on the P5 though..... I mean the ones that work on the '04-'06 ones won't work on the '07 since they changed the remote system (that's why the '07 one is so much more expensive).

I'll put a question in to Jason for ya, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Ummm so whats the difference in the MZ6 flip fob and the MX-5 flip fob...Which would I use on a 05 MZ3??

TGM3 said:
Ummm so whats the difference in the MZ6 flip fob and the MX-5 flip fob...Which would I use on a 05 MZ3??

I don't know what the technical difference is between the remotes. I believe the first remotes that were found to work were the MX-5/RX-8 remotes. I think then the Mz6 remote was discovered to work later on. The Mz6 remote might actually be the '06 one, and possibly the previous ones didn't work.

Anyway if you want one for a '05 3 get the Mz6 key. Jason has a kit in the catalog at onlinemazdaparts.com (there's a link in the OP) with the correct key/remote for you. There's no reason to pay twice as much to get the MX-5 remote.

Solo2Protege said:
Yes, the Mazda3 key can be used with 3rd gen Protege's, just not the remotes.
Does any one know if you can modify the circuits to make it work for the P5?

the mz6 remote is made by visteon, the MX-5, mz5, rx-8, ms6 remotes are made by mitsubishi electronics company (melco)... the transmitter frequencies are actually different, so I'm not sure why either one will work

the key s not expensive its getting it cut & programed is the killer, unless you know somebody at the dealer, otherwise its gonna run ya around $300 or so to buy it , have it cut & programed for your car...they cant come preprogramed from anywhere so says mazda corp.. if that could happen any body could get your vin info and order a new key an take your car...

Last edited:
silla3 said:
the key s not expensive its getting it cut & programed is the killer, unless you know somebody at the dealer, otherwise its gonna run ya around $300 or so to buy it , have it cut & programed for your car...they cant come preprogramed from anywhere so says mazda corp.. if that could happen any body could get your vin info and order a new key an take your car...

Not true.

For cutting: You can have the key cut at any hardware store to match your current keys.

For programming: The '04-'06 models you can program yourself (as long as you have at least two keys/remotes already). I had programming walkthroughs for the keys, and remotes linked in the OP but they were removed because they were links to another mazda forum. I know there are some on here, but I just haven't put forth the effort into finding them. If you don't have at least two keys/remotes then the dealer must program them in.

The '07 models use a new remote system. You can still program the key using the existing walkthroughs, however in order the program the remotes the dealer has to plug up to your computer and do it that way.

If you purchase a key/ flip key from jason (www.onlinemazdaparts.com) and provide him with either your VIN, or your key code (little tag on the key when you bought the car) then he'll have the key cut to your car free of charge IF, and only if, your information matches the data in the Mazda database. Once you receive that key it will open the doors, but not start the car until you program it.

To reiterate:
-keys are cheap
-they can be cut anywhere that cuts keys
-Jason will cut it for you for free
-'04-06 keys/remotes can be programmed for free by the user
-'07 remotes must be programmed by the dealer, however the key can still be programmed by the user.

i work at a dealer and the info that i have is from mazda corp., and yes any key place can cut a key for you. but when you tell a customer that and they try then come back to you mad because the key place wont cut a key with a chip in it (this has happened a few times) alot of car owners dont even now the year car they drive let alone program a remote. it still can be expensive....

silla3 said:
i work at a dealer and the info that i have is from mazda corp., and yes any key place can cut a key for you. but when you tell a customer that and they try then come back to you mad because the key place wont cut a key with a chip in it (this has happened a few times) alot of car owners dont even now the year car they drive let alone program a remote. it still can be expensive....

Okay well in the case that the dealer charges someone a large amount of money to do it then yes it could cost alot.

That being said it doesn't have to cost a lot. Maybe you can get your dealership to not charge someone $220 to cut and program a key/remote that costs $80

Got my flip key/remote combo today... works perfectly after programming using instructions supplied thru another forum.... I will post the instructions here to make it easier for anyone purchasing the flip key combo for their Mazda3...

Key Programming Instructions

1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second ( wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it before.

Remote Programming Instructions

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

Last edited:
Back