Keep Using "Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for oil changes?

Keep Using "Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for oil changes?

Thanks to this community I have been using the"Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for my oil changes (3 so far) on my 2018 CX-5 GT.

I buy the 1QT sizes at the dealer and have them change out the oil etc.

My question is : is it bad to keep using this Molly oil for the life of the car? will too much Molly ultimately be too much of a good thing? should I begin using what the manual suggests: SAE 0W-20 Castrol or whatever the dealers put in which I assume is SAE 0W-20 Castrol?

thanks for any input.

Your MAZDA engine will have a long and happy life running MAZDA Moly engine oil throughout its life. Ed

There's no reason not to keep using this Mazda oil, that's what I plan on doing. Except that I do all my own work. Other than that, carry on.

No reason at all to stop using it. Only reason I did was to save money. Using Penn Platinum like a lot of folks here, but the Castrol Edge, Mobil1, and even Rotella truck will do you just as good if you chose to go that route. I do continue to use the OEM filter, and will always do so.

Same here. I plan to use Mazda moly 0W-20 oil and OEM oil filter (not the Value line) for as long as I own the CX-5. And I also DIY for all the maintenance.

Thanks to this community I have been using the"Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for my oil changes (3 so far) on my 2018 CX-5 GT.

I buy the 1QT sizes at the dealer and have them change out the oil etc.

My question is : is it bad to keep using this Molly oil for the life of the car? will too much Molly ultimately be too much of a good thing? should I begin using what the manual suggests: SAE 0W-20 Castrol or whatever the dealers put in which I assume is SAE 0W-20 Castrol?

thanks for any input.

The high moly Mazda 0w20 oil is considered great oil and you should have no qualms continuing to run it.

I don't run it only because I don't feel it is worth the price premium over a 5qt jug of Castrol Edge, or Pennzoil Platinum, or whatever brand you use. It's at least $20 or more per oil change cost for me over using the other brands. If you can get it at a good deal, then go for it, or if the cost premium doesn't bother you, then keep using it. BITOG, as well as oil analysis reports here have all pointed to the high-moly 0w20 oil being great oil.

Only downside to running Mazda moly 0w20 is the cost. But honestly any API certified 0w20 synthetic should do just fine with factory recommended intervals based on use, especially if it has the dexos 1 gen 2 certification. So far in 4.5 months have 16k miles on our 19 touring and heres what Ive run so far...

0-2k factory fill

2k-5k Mazda factory 0w20 (non-moly) - didnt notice any difference from factory fill

5k-10k Zepro 0w20 w/moly - favorite oil so far, bought when it was $30/jug on amazon - supposedly same as Mazda moly oil. Idled so smooth & quiet could hardly tell engine was on. Will go back to this oil if it drops to $30/jug again.

10k-15k Edge black bottle 0w20 - not quite as buttery smooth as Zepro, but worked just fine, same mpg

15k-now Valvoline modern engine 0w20 - similar feel and mileage as Castrol, maybe a touch smoother idle

Will likely go with M1 0w20 extended performance at 7500 mile intervals from here on out. It is a higher percentage PAO synthetic oil than most OTC oils available, and at well under $30/jug at WM.

I switched to the 5 quart jug of Idemetsu Zepro 0W-20. It's the same oil as the Mazda Moly (they make it for Mazda). It was $41.05 plus tax on Amazon. Very convenient to just have one jug to pour in instead of 5. And yes, I know, 5 quarts is more than the stated capacity, but it never overfills according to the dipstick. Also I use the Mazda Thai-made filters.

I've been using Castrol EDGE Extended Performance <a href="https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-Extended-Performance-0W-20-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/563331326">Castrol Edge Extended Performance</a>. I don't know what the liquid titanium technology is, nor do I go even 10K miles on the oil.

I use whatever the cheapest 0w-20 oil available at walmart that meets the minimum certifications. It is changed at 7500mi or 1 year whatever comes first. The engine will outlast 99% of owners on here as long as there is oil in the crankcase....

I started to use the pennzoil oil now as they always on sale here in Canada. Just much cheaper than I go to the dealer.

Back