Just Installed Fortin Remote Start on my new 2016 Mazda CX-5 DIY

The high cost, bad reviews as well as the idea of having two key fobs in my pocket steered me away from Mazda remote start system and in search of better alternative in the aftermarket world.
I am a handy person so after reading several reviews online, I decided to try out one from Fortin in Canada. It looked pretty straightforward to install and the cost was minimum for me.

But the biggest selling point was the idea of being able to use Mzada's key for to remotely start the car. The install along with programming took me almost an hour.

Few takeaways that I'd like to share with anyone interested:

1. When remote started, when I open the door, the engine keep running and all I have to do is to press once the Start Button and then the brake pedal and finally shift to drive or backup. Unlike the Mazda's System, when you open the door the engine shuts down and you have to restart it which in the long run puts a unnecessary wear on the starter.

2. When remote started, the system retains all of the clime system settings as it was left out before shutting the engine off (except the rear window defroster) but including the heated seats !!

3. The hardest part of the install was to tuck away the main harness and tie it high enough so it would not interfere with the under steering wheel cover when installing it back.

4. After removing the bottom part of the steering wheel cover part I have more than enough room to work on it.

5. This was truly a Plug And Play install. I did not use the hood pin and did not use any of the parking lights connections as I don't care to have them on while the car is running.

Here are few pics from the install and the location I chose to mount the box:

20191028_143301_res.jpg

20191028_143245_res.jpg

20191028_143400_res.jpg

20191028_143320_res.jpg

20191028_143140_res.jpg

Last edited:
I have always wondered, does it mean that anybody could jump in your car while remote started and off it goes?
or this requirement to push start stops it somehow.What happens if you enter the car and do not push the start button?

Fortin is a pretty good system. I personally prefer compustar as you dont need the extra step of pressing the start/stop button to take over the vehicle. If you do have the radar cruise Control, make sure to update your firmware to the latest or else you will get error messages with fortin. Also the heated seat function staying on after restart is for gen 1 and early gen2 cx5s only, the newer cx-5s unfortunately reset after each restart :(

I have always wondered, does it mean that anybody could jump in your car while remote started and off it goes?
or this requirement to push start stops it somehow.What happens if you enter the car and do not push the start button?

So first of all, no one could get into the vehicle as the door is locked and you have to have the key fob on you to be able to open the door.

If you enter the car while is remote started, you have like one minute to take over the car by pressing the start/stop button and then stepping on the brake pedal otherwise the engine shuts off. If you press the start/stop button while you dont have the Mazda key fob on you the engine will shut off. If you press the brake pedal without pressing the start/stop button the engine will shut off. You can also program the system that the engine will shut off after you open the door, similar to the Mazda OEM remote start system.

It works great so far

.............. If you do have the radar cruise Control, make sure to update your firmware to the latest or else you will get error messages with fortin....... :(

Supposedly, for the Adaptive Radar Cruise Control to work properly, you have to set the system up for the engine to shut off while opening the door. That is according to Fortin, the actual take over means the engine keeps running after you open the door which will disable the ARCC. Way to go around it is to, press the brake pedal to shut off the engine and then re-start the normal way.

Kinda' sounds like a pain in the ass. Do you have to then pat your head and rub your belly?!? hehehe j/k

To the OP

I am trying to wrap my head around installing Fortin evo maz1T.

In your last picture I see the hood pin taped up. Where does that need to be connected?

So I tried to install the Fortin Evo All to no avail. Called Fortin and they were quite helpful but STRONGLY recommended I NOT do it as they have techs who are pros calling them all day for problems with it. They recommended Evo One which has the ability to still use locks and can do the takeover seamlessly.

I then got a quote from someone who will install a DEI 4X10 auto start for me instead. Has anyone had a 4X10 installed on their CX-5? Mine's a 2019 GT Automatic and just looking for guidance before I drop $400 to have it put in.

At OP, can you share the actual product you used and where you bought it from? Any prep work you did etc..

OK, I just ordered the Fortin setup off eBay (total $172+tax, incl flash module), but I have some confusion here... I just watched the YouTube video linked above, and when he was programming the Evo-One, he selected that the car had an alarm. But other threads on this forum state that there is NO alarm included on the US-model CX-5's.

So which is correct (or does it even matter)?
Alarm.jpg

OK, I installed my Evo-One last week, and after a couple of false starts (and a call to a grumpy tech at Fortin) I successfully enabled the car alarm functionality in the Evo-One. So now my US CX-5 does have a working car alarm - no thanks to Mazda USA. I know that folks will say that such alarms are useless, but given you get the functionality for free in the Evo, why not?

So, for those playing along at home, here's some tips on how to do this when you install your Evo on a 2nd gen CX-5. NOTE: this is how I did MY install on MY 2019 CX-5 Touring. I take no responsibility for you frying your car or the Fortin by following these tips. Doing this is YOUR responsibility.

First, when you configure your Evo-One (prior to installation), make sure your FlashLink config is set to use the "Built-In Alarm System". I was confused by this, because it was unclear whether this meant the car's built-in alarm, or the Fortin's. Hence the call to the tech, who told me it's with respect to the Fortin:

AlarmSelect.gif

Then, when configuring the options on the 'Remote Starter' tab, make sure you select option 14.2, to enable BOTH the Remote Start and the Alarm functionality (don't forget to click 'Save Options' after this):

AlarmOption.gif

Remember - per the regular remote-start instructions and the video - you'll also need enable 38.2 (OR: 38.5) on the 'Remote Starter' tab, plus enable C1 on the 'Bypass' tab, for correct remote-start operation (this is just a reminder and not related to enabling the Alarm function).

For my install, I used the Fortin THAR-ONE-MAZ3 T-Harness, which is plug and play for everything EXCEPT the connection to the car's horn for the alarm. To make for a cleaner install, I popped all the optional (loose) wires out of the white 20-pin connector, except the horn trigger wire (Orange/Black) and Hood switch wire (Pink/Black). Of course, you may just want to leave all those loose wires in the connector and tie them up out of the way, but that's up to you. This shows the ones that *I* popped out of the connector (red X's), leaving only 6 wires in place:

AccessoryWires.jpg

Lastly, you'll install the Evo-One as per the instructions and/or the video linked above. But then you'll also need to extend that Orange/Black horn wire and splice it into the car's Blue horn wire that exits the steering wheel clock-spring connector. You can use a crimp splice connector if you wish, but I just soldered my extension wire to a piece of solid core wire and pushed it into the back of the connector until it made contact and then taped the wire so it wouldn't move and/or come out. You can test your connection by just grounding the other end of the wire and checking that the horn sounds - but BE CERTAIN you have the correct pin or you could fry something and be in a world of hurt.

The following two pics show where that clock-spring connector is - taken from below the steering column with the bottom shroud removed. Plus a close-up of the connector showing the blue horn wire. It was nice of Mazda to put this wire on the corner position, making it easy to find and access :) :

HornConn1.jpg

HornConn2.jpg

Once you've completed the installation and bypass programming, you should have a working remote start and car alarm. You can test the alarm by sitting in the car and locking the door with the remote, then manually unlock and open the door from the inside and the alarm should trigger (press 'unlock' on the remote to stop it). You also get an nice three-chirp signal when you unlock the door to signal that the alarm had been triggered.

Good luck!

OK, I installed my Evo-One last week, and after a couple of false starts (and a call to a grumpy tech at Fortin) I successfully enabled the car alarm functionality in the Evo-One. So now my US CX-5 does have a working car alarm - no thanks to Mazda USA. I know that folks will say that such alarms are useless, but given you get the functionality for free in the Evo, why not?

So, for those playing along at home, here's some tips on how to do this when you install your Evo on a 2nd gen CX-5. NOTE: this is how I did MY install on MY 2019 CX-5 Touring. I take no responsibility for you frying your car or the Fortin by following these tips. Doing this is YOUR responsibility.

First, when you configure your Evo-One (prior to installation), make sure your FlashLink config is set to use the "Built-In Alarm System". I was confused by this, because it was unclear whether this meant the car's built-in alarm, or the Fortin's. Hence the call to the tech, who told me it's with respect to the Fortin:

View attachment 222435

Then, when configuring the options on the 'Remote Starter' tab, make sure you select option 14.2, to enable BOTH the Remote Start and the Alarm functionality (don't forget to click 'Save Options' after this):

View attachment 222436

Remember - per the regular remote-start instructions and the video - you'll also need enable 38.2 (OR: 38.5) on the 'Remote Starter' tab, plus enable C1 on the 'Bypass' tab, for correct remote-start operation (this is just a reminder and not related to enabling the Alarm function).

For my install, I used the Fortin THAR-ONE-MAZ3 T-Harness, which is plug and play for everything EXCEPT the connection to the car's horn for the alarm. To make for a cleaner install, I popped all the optional (loose) wires out of the white 20-pin connector, except the horn trigger wire (Orange/Black) and Hood switch wire (Pink/Black). Of course, you may just want to leave all those loose wires in the connector and tie them up out of the way, but that's up to you. This shows the ones that *I* popped out of the connector (red X's), leaving only 6 wires in place:

View attachment 222437

Lastly, you'll install the Evo-One as per the instructions and/or the video linked above. But then you'll also need to extend that Orange/Black horn wire and splice it into the car's Blue horn wire that exits the steering wheel clock-spring connector. You can use a crimp splice connector if you wish, but I just soldered my extension wire to a piece of solid core wire and pushed it into the back of the connector until it made contact and then taped the wire so it wouldn't move and/or come out. You can test your connection by just grounding the other end of the wire and checking that the horn sounds - but BE CERTAIN you have the correct pin or you could fry something and be in a world of hurt.

The following two pics show where that clock-spring connector is - taken from below the steering column with the bottom shroud removed. Plus a close-up of the connector showing the blue horn wire. It was nice of Mazda to put this wire on the corner position, making it easy to find and access :) :

View attachment 222438

View attachment 222439

Once you've completed the installation and bypass programming, you should have a working remote start and car alarm. You can test the alarm by sitting in the car and locking the door with the remote, then manually unlock and open the door from the inside and the alarm should trigger (press 'unlock' on the remote to stop it). You also get an nice three-chirp signal when you unlock the door to signal that the alarm had been triggered.

Good luck!
The touring doesn’t come with an alarm?

I installed the Evo one in my wife’s 16 GT last week. Followed the instructions in the video of the guy with the eternal blue mica second gen.

I’m now wondering if the GT has an alarm, and if mine will still work now that I installed the Evo one.

@2001birdowner

A bit of clarification. An "alarm" is simply a module that detects a state/condition and then alerts on it. So on your 16 GT there ~could~ be a factory alarm, however the Fortin EVO One you recently installed ~can~ be programmed to act like an alarm like @RedBaron describes. Hope this helps.

if you are thinking "but i read someplace about a factory alarm..."
yep
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/oem-alarm-in-cx-5-touring.123833321/

the Canadian owner's manual:

generic manual:

want to test it? roll windows down. lock the doors. reach in and open the door and see if the horn sounds. Note: the factory "alarm" / "theft deterrent" only senses door open; hood open. no glass break, no impact, no tilt (towing away).

Last edited:
Does anyone get a double honk from the horn when opening/closing the rear liftgate? Is there a way to disable this? I installed the evo-one with the thar-one maz3 harness. I also made the horn connection as per this thread (thank you). I have a 2017 GT. I hope there is a fix for this as it is annoying AF.

Back