Just hit 56k and may need rear wheel bearings AGAIN?? Will find out on Tuesday

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
I had the rear wheel bearings replaced at 12,000 miles and now just hit 56k on our 07 GT. Since it is the wife's car I don't drive it that much anymore, but it seems the rear wheel bearings may be going again. Taking it to the dealer on Tuesday to see what they say. The drivetrain warranty just expired 17 days ago so if this is the wheel bearings again, I will fight with Mazda to get them to replace them. Anyone have this issue twice??

wow, 17 days, bummer. I believe the rear bearings were re-designed at some point, I think both the 9 and the Edge had flawed rear bearings. Although different part numbers, I think the actual bearing inside the hub is the same. Did you have the rear bearing replaced in 2007? maybe they had not re-designed the bearing yet at that point?

I have 45k miles on my 08' with no bearing issues (yet).

Same here. '08 with 46K. No bearing issue.
I hope they have re-designed the bearing assembly.
Definitely talk to Mazda corporate. They will cut you some slack with 17 days over.

What's the symptom of the wheel bearing problem?

I just swapped off my blizzaks and back on the Yokos. Noticed a strange vibration which sounded like it was coming from the front right wheel. I even got out and kicked the tire to make sure they put the lug nuts on tightly. It's happened 3 times now in 2 days and lasts only a few seconds. I thought perhaps it was a transmission thing but I tried manual shifting for a bit and no luck reproducing the vibration. 63K miles...

Anyone?

Personally I cannot recall exactly. I just remembered the first time around there was a noise coming from the rear and it got louder as the car went faster. Just sounded more like a truck in the interior. I don't recall any grinding, just a drone that got louder.

Well the dealer confirmed it seems to be the wheel bearings again. They charged me $115 diagnostic fee, supplied me Mazda's number and gave me the newest TSB number dealing with the issue. Apparently the newer TSB 03-002/08 is a new ABS sensor cover that covers the wheel bearing properly not allowing dirt and grime to get into the bearings. Anyway the dealer wants about $1300 before tax to do both wheels and currently I am waiting a response from Mazda on if they will cover this or not since I am only 2 weeks out of warranty. They said they were going to call the dealer and call me back within 24 hours.

Sounds like bad design of parts from Ford.
Let us hope that Mazda do the right things to take care of their customers.

Can we add the new ABS cover instead of replacing the entire wheel bearing assembly?

I am not sure, but I would think so. From what I understood the wheel bearings were continually going bad due to the sensor cover not fitting or covering properly. Check with your dealer on that TSB.

Well Mazda will cover the cost of the one bad wheel bearing. I plan on discussing with the mechanic to take a close look at the remaining 3 to see if there is ANY sign of an issue since I have Mazda working with me currently. I spent a $115 out of pocket on the diagnostic which I am wondering if I should try to recoup that as well. The dealership made it sound like it should be possible.

Mazda fixed my wheel bearing, but would only do the one side that was bad. Apparently according to the service advisor they tried to get them to replace the other rear as a PM since they were both replaced once under warranty, but Mazda would not go for it. Still not sure if I should try to get Mazda to reimburse my $115 diagnostic fee to pinpoint the issue.

This is strange because usually the diagnostic fee is waived if you go ahead to fix it at the dealership.
At least that is how it works with my local Mazda dealer. I only get charged if I decide not to get it fixed there.

This is strange because usually the diagnostic fee is waived if you go ahead to fix it at the dealership.
At least that is how it works with my local Mazda dealer. I only get charged if I decide not to get it fixed there.

Well that is true and this dealer said the same thing, but that was when they thought I was flipping the bill not Mazda. Do you think they would reverse it? I believe they told me if it gets covered under warranty I should push Mazda to reimburse the funds. They didn't say anything about them. And the funny thing is I told the mechanic and service adviser it was the wheel bearing when I brought it in.

Back