Just got the CX-5 Hatch/Liftgate strut recall notice

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I just got the recall notice for the liftgate/hatch strut corrosion issue last week. Given that I do not live in an area where such corrosion is common, and the hatch struts and mounts show no signs of corrosion at this point, should I even bother with it? Keep in mind that I have never gone to any dealer for any service on any car ever, and it would be quite the hassle trying to take off of work just to take the car to the dealer where we bought it, which is in a neighboring city. Should I get it done just for resale value purposes? Is it possible to get recall replacement parts myself and do the work, or does a dealer HAVE to do it?

I just got it too, and agree, I don't see any signs of corrosion or issues with mine.

If you don't want to get it done, then don't, but it's free, and you can take it to any Mazda dealer. Doesn't have to be the one you bought it from.

As for doing it yourself, I do not have an answer to that.

As for me, I think I'd rather just get it done and over with.

No salt issues here in charlotte but had the struts replaced anyway, dealers only six miles from my house and only took a hour so what the heck.

If it only takes an hour that is good news. Maybe I can get it done with only a 1/2 day off from work.

I wish I could blame Mazda for this but I work in an old school kind of town. Not one foreign car dealership here. There was a Datsun/Nissan dealer in the way back days.

If it only takes an hour that is good news. Maybe I can get it done with only a 1/2 day off from work.

I wish I could blame Mazda for this but I work in an old school kind of town. Not one foreign car dealership here. There was a Datsun/Nissan dealer in the way back days.
Took them about a half hour to do mine, in and out before I could finish a coffee.

It is worth replacing, because the original won't last to many years anyways.
I have got the letter as well, the second time. They have them now in stock?

It is worth replacing, because the original won't last to many years anyways.
I have got the letter as well, the second time. They have them now in stock?

Yeah, I think the original recall was a while ago, but now they have the parts to replace them.

I just got the recall notice for the liftgate/hatch strut corrosion issue last week. Given that I do not live in an area where such corrosion is common, and the hatch struts and mounts show no signs of corrosion at this point, should I even bother with it? Keep in mind that I have never gone to any dealer for any service on any car ever, and it would be quite the hassle trying to take off of work just to take the car to the dealer where we bought it, which is in a neighboring city. Should I get it done just for resale value purposes? Is it possible to get recall replacement parts myself and do the work, or does a dealer HAVE to do it?
I'm at similar situation that haven't gone to my Mazda dealer for 2 recalls - fuel filler pipe leak and liftgate strut corrosion, and 1 "Special Service Program A6" for passenger airbag reprogramming. I don't think it'd hurt the resale value as you or the buyer later can take the CX-5 for recall service anytime you want. For struts the later you go in to get them replaced, the longer you can have a pair of good struts for service. Not in the hurry for me.

No, dealer won't give you replacement parts and let you do the strut and bolt replacement by yourself. It's simply the liability issue.

when you go to sell and the buyer asks if all recalls have been completed or they check, it's good to have them preformed. Ed

Simple, just had it done with my last free dealer oil change. New struts seam to be built stronger. It takes more umph to close. The connection points are covered as well to keep out moisture. I would do it, my sons 3 had the recall and he ignored it when he used to deliver pizzas. He open an closed the hatch so many time they failed and almost hit him in the head. The struts were full of rust.

Can you hold out for a couple of years and then get it done under recall? You reset the life on a wear-out component. If you only keep your cars for a few years, then never mind.

I got notice too... no noticeable corrosion on mine. I'll get it done next time I take it in for service

Can you hold out for a couple of years and then get it done under recall? You reset the life on a wear-out component. If you only keep your cars for a few years, then never mind.
I wouldn't really call it a wear out item. You could have your car for 20 years and never need to replace those. Generally, they don't fail...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't really call it a wear out item. You could have your car for 20 years and never need to replace those. Generally, they don't fail...

Yes they do, they eventually leak and lose their pressure. That being said, I had a minivan for 17 years and never had to replace them...sometimes you win.

Last edited:
Everything fails eventually, but they could outlast the car. I've replaced hood struts in one car and I've owned many. My last car was 11 and still had the original hatch and hood struts.

I had my 2014 CX5 struts replaced a few months ago, surprisingly noticeable improvement. I'll grant you, circumstances were a bit extreme..

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    667.6 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    554.1 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Yeah you certainly can do that and that is my plan, wait as long as I can not to visit the service department of my dealer.

By the way, those struts do fail, depending on the quality from different manufactures and how frequently you're using.

I believe this recall also covers rusting strut bolts like mentioned in this thread:

Rusting Hatch Damper Bolts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know they can break. I am just saying it is not nearly a common enough failure to hold off 5 years on a recall...to save what? $30? I wouldn't go out of my way to get it done...just saying don't wait years.

I've replaced hydraulic hood and trunk struts on 3 cars. They have seals which degrade with time and usage. I keep my cars for a long time.

I know they can break. I am just saying it is not nearly a common enough failure to hold off 5 years on a recall...to save what? $30? I wouldn't go out of my way to get it done...just saying don't wait years.

If they don't fail, then no need to do the recall ever. If its a pair, for OEM parts it is probably well over $100, especially if they install them. I don't see what you gain by replacing working struts.

Back