Is this '96 Protege with 88k miles worth fixing?

Hey everyone, I am extremely naive when it comes to cars so I just thought I would ask you all for some advice. I just purchased a 1996 Mazda Protege LX with 88k miles on it. It has some problems that I have noticed and I am unsure how to handle them. I observed that the temperature gauge fluctuates (Faulty thermostat?) up or down only when the AC or heat is not on. It idles kind of weird (EGR Valve issue?). The gas gauge does not work (sending unit?). The exhaust flex pipe broke while driving the other day now the car is extremely loud to drive. The valve cover gasket is leaking (maybe?). The steering wheel constantly jerks while driving (alignment issue?). When I put the car in park the RPM revs up past the "2" mark (idle issue?). I don't even know where to begin with fixing this. I bought it because of how low mileage it has but now I am second-guessing myself, is this car worth fixing all these things? What is an estimate of cost to fix all these things?

Lot of variables here...hard to estimate what it might all cost. Would also depend on whether or not you're willing to do your own work. This is a prime example of the fact that sometimes low mileage but not maintained is worse than higher mileage but meticulously maintained (especially with older vehicles). Not trying to diminish your purchase decision, but it's something to keep in mind, and something I'm sure you'll be more attuned to in the future.

Anyways, it does sound like most of these are smaller issues (at least monetarily-wise if you're doing your own labor), but might be hard to track down, leading to a large time commitment (or cost for outside labor). Not sure what you paid for it and how much you love it, but I'd say it's up to you, and make sure you don't dump too much money into it.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Back