Is it difficult to do replace the front pads and rotors on my own?

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
I am not a brake guy but work regularly on my cars (oil changes, replace exhausts, etc) and the wife's CX9 is in need of some new brakes at almost 50k. I think I was going to try some Powerslot rotors and not sure on pads yet. What is all entailed on the switch? Any good write ups?

Easy work. I just did mine yesterday. Both front wheels in about 90 minutes. You can find many posts and pictures with DIY. Most likely you will have to drill through the two fixing screws. One other thing not every post was talking about is removal of the old rotor. Over time they get stuck and banging on them with a hummer won't help. You will need a M8 bolt to screw into the threaded hole in the old rotor (see the picture).
Good luck

Attachments

• DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 253
Just did mine not too long ago.
I used Centric E-coated rotors with Centric Posiquiet ceramic pads. Have only put 100 or 200 miles on them since the swap so I can't speak for longevity, but so far real good.

Rotors have 2 rotor screws each which will not come out. The only option is to drill them out. You will need a drill bit for drilling through metal.
You can simply push the pistons in and put in your new pads, or you can bleed the brakes at the end. Usually when you just push the pistons in, you will get a little air in the lines which only adds to the CX9's relatively weak braking performance to begin with. See threads on here about bleeding brakes.

I do not recommend the brake bleeder that you see in my pictures, it was worthless.

Really not a hard job, just takes a long time.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123803198-Pictures-of-my-brake-job

Be sure to open up the bleed screw on the caliper when you're pushing the pistons in so that the used fluid bleeds out instead of feeding back into the brake fluid lines.

Latest posts

Back