Is AGM Battery required for GT?

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
My 2016 GT is in need of battery replacement after almost 6 years (this July). I have two options, Group 35 and Group 35 AGM. I've read AGM are needed or recommended if your car has all the bells and whistles like radar CC and smart brake assist. The problem is that AGM batteries are expensive and I've been waiting over 3 weeks to receive one - Any one has any issues with non-AGM batteries? Do they even come with AGM out of the factory?

My 2016 GT is in need of battery replacement after almost 6 years (this July). I have two options, Group 35 and Group 35 AGM. I've read AGM are needed or recommended if your car has all the bells and whistles like radar CC and smart brake assist. The problem is that AGM batteries are expensive and I've been waiting over 3 weeks to receive one - Any one has any issues with non-AGM batteries? Do they even come with AGM out of the factory?
Skip the AGM and get a regular group 35 flooded lead acid bettery from Costco for $80 and be done. Flooded comes from the factory, NOT AGM and you do not need the AGM. Not worth the money and unnecessary

Skip the AGM and get a regular group 35 flooded lead acid bettery from Costco for $80 and be done. Flooded comes from the factory, NOT AGM and you do not need the AGM. Not worth the money and unnecessary
Thanks!

You have a real good memory to recall when the Costco battery was $80. They're up to $100, but they're a good Interstate 640 CCA Group 35. I got one.

I got the Costco battery for my Signature as well. I briefly considered AGM, but in the end decided it wasn't worth the cost.

I got the regular battery yesterday from Costco and installed it, $124 ($109 when I return the old one).
I replaced it because I was getting smart brake and radar cruise control error early mornings. I got the same error after I replace my old battery. I’m hoping the replacement just needs to charge some more?

The replacement battery was a flooded lead Panasonic. 5y 8mon and it was still working fine. Replaced only due to the warnings I was getting.

Yeah I would give it a few days, and hold onto the old one in case you want to return the new battery (though nearing 6 years, I would probably change it anyway). How long are your commutes?

I got the regular battery yesterday from Costco and installed it, $124 ($109 when I return the old one).
I replaced it because I was getting smart brake and radar cruise control error early mornings. I got the same error after I replace my old battery. I’m hoping the replacement just needs to charge some more?

The replacement battery was a flooded lead Panasonic. 5y 8mon and it was still working fine. Replaced only due to the warnings I was getting.
I've had less problems since I started using a small battery maintainer. Charging more is a good idea.

So the price for flooded Interstate Group 35 battery went up again at Costco? It was $79 for many years and went up to $99 last May (ask how I know? I bought one during Memorial Holiday last year at Costco, and the cashier told me the price just went up on that day to $99!). Now it’s $109 before the core charge!

Looks like your problem isn’t from weaker battery as all new batteries are fully charged.

Your factory Panasonic battery is about done for its service life at 5 years and 8 months. It certainly won’t hurt to have a new battery at this time. Unfortunately you need to figure out your Smart Brake Support and Radar Cruise Control errors from other means. Radar module sensor problem in front emblem?

I used to be a tech at Ford and I used to see a lot of things because of low battery voltage or alternator issues. The lights on the dash was something I had to go though with my own CX-9 when it got a little colder at the beginning of this year. Took it to the dealership and they gave me the run around. Honestly, it was weird being on the customer end because I used to be at the back actually working on the cars. But anyway long story short, they said my battery was fine. Next morning my wife was leaving for work and all the car did was flicker all the lights on the dash, it was dead. I said screw it and just bought my own battery from Costco. It should’ve been covered under warranty but they said it was “fine” and it was only like $150 at Costco for the AGM Interstate battery and I didn’t want to deal with the dealership just to give me another mediocre battery.

The CX-9 calls for a group 35 but I was measuring and a 24F will fit with very minor modification to the battery tray. Forward of the battery tray there are two things in the way (not sure how to describe it, Lol) all you need to do is snip them off with heavy duty diagonal cutters or use a cut off wheel. It fits prefect. The AGM 24F was also cheaper than the AGM 35 so it was a no brainer, less money and more power. I love how quick it turns over in the morning in the cold.

AGM batteries benefit from being able to discharge lower and not get affected by it, they usually have a longer life span, they’re more durable and not as affected to vibrations as a flood battery and for the same group size usually have better CCA ratings.

Just thought I’d share if anyone was interested in a bigger battery option. Also good if you have accessories like a sub or a dash cam or anything more than stock.

I used to be a tech at Ford and I used to see a lot of things because of low battery voltage or alternator issues. The lights on the dash was something I had to go though with my own CX-9 when it got a little colder at the beginning of this year. Took it to the dealership and they gave me the run around. Honestly, it was weird being on the customer end because I used to be at the back actually working on the cars. But anyway long story short, they said my battery was fine. Next morning my wife was leaving for work and all the car did was flicker all the lights on the dash, it was dead. I said screw it and just bought my own battery from Costco. It should’ve been covered under warranty but they said it was “fine” and it was only like $150 at Costco for the AGM Interstate battery and I didn’t want to deal with the dealership just to give me another mediocre battery.

The CX-9 calls for a group 35 but I was measuring and a 24F will fit with very minor modification to the battery tray. Forward of the battery tray there are two things in the way (not sure how to describe it, Lol) all you need to do is snip them off with heavy duty diagonal cutters or use a cut off wheel. It fits prefect. The AGM 24F was also cheaper than the AGM 35 so it was a no brainer, less money and more power. I love how quick it turns over in the morning in the cold.

AGM batteries benefit from being able to discharge lower and not get affected by it, they usually have a longer life span, they’re more durable and not as affected to vibrations as a flood battery and for the same group size usually have better CCA ratings.

Just thought I’d share if anyone was interested in a bigger battery option. Also good if you have accessories like a sub or a dash cam or anything more than stock.
I think I have the same battery tray in my 2019 Signature. I'll follow your lead... I should be able to use a Dremel tool to cut that plastic are your referring to, correct? Did you have to remove the tray to make the modifications? The 24F has considerably more power and AND it's cheaper -- too bad it's an inch too long to fit in the factory tray. Thanks for sharing!

I think I have the same battery tray in my 2019 Signature. I'll follow your lead... I should be able to use a Dremel tool to cut that plastic are your referring to, correct? Did you have to remove the tray to make the modifications? The 24F has considerably more power and AND it's cheaper -- too bad it's an inch too long to fit in the factory tray. Thanks for sharing!
If yours is also a 2019, more than likely it’s the same tray. It’s probably been the same tray since 2016. I did the modification with the tray out. Very easy to do. I wanted to clean the whole thing before putting the new battery in that’s why. Here is a picture with it installed. It’s such a perfect fit!

13CE4FBA-85D3-457E-9731-95BA5E2EF577.jpeg

If yours is also a 2019, more than likely it’s the same tray. It’s probably been the same tray since 2016. I did the modification with the tray out. Very easy to do. I wanted to clean the whole thing before putting the new battery in that’s why. Here is a picture with it installed. It’s such a perfect fit!

View attachment 308649
That's it! Perfect fit. Thank you for the photo!

View attachment 308649
Someone copied you. 😃

Attachments

• CDCBD03A-F748-4230-BE3B-6F72D387EFC4.jpeg
    CDCBD03A-F748-4230-BE3B-6F72D387EFC4.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 140
Back