Intercooler Sprayers

Blendercloud

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
Does anyone have any experience with the various intercooler spray kits that are out there? I'd like to hear some input on installation, performance gains, etc.

I'm looking to do this later this summer and am interested to see pictures and hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend spraying anything on a top mount as our coils are right underneath in a "trench" so to speak on the valve cover....could pose some problems if water builds up in there and shorts out the coils. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't recommend spraying anything on a top mount as our coils are right underneath in a "trench" so to speak on the valve cover....could pose some problems if water builds up in there and shorts out the coils. Just my 2 cents.

Yea, I got to thinking about that which was why I've not really looked any further into the topical spray kits. I've mainly been looking at the water/methanol injection (injected into the intercooler instead of on it like the CO2).

INtercooler sprayers if done correctly spray a mist of water not a downpour. It would be evaporated before it got a chance to get to the coils....

INtercooler sprayers if done correctly spray a mist of water not a downpour. It would be evaporated before it got a chance to get to the coils....

like you said...if done correctly, also if functioning correctly, I personally wouldn't risk it.
I've seen guys **** up coils at the track just setting a bag of ice on their intercoolers between runs.
just food for thought, doesn't leave much room for error.

There are probably more than two types, but the two types I know about are injection (into the intercooler) and topical (onto the intercooler fins).

Ken at PG has both.

The injection system uses a water/methanol mix injected into the intercooler to cool down your boost temperatures. The injected solution is combusted during cylinder ignition. This can create a mild steam that will actually help remove and prevent future carbon build-up. Essentially you're creating additional power two says: a more dense boost volume at the same boost pressure, and a cooler combustion chamber helping to reduce detonation.

The topical spray system can use a number of different solvents or chemicals I'm sure. The one that PG has is a liquid carbon dioxide sprayer (like a fire extinguisher). Basically, shortly after being sprayed and warming up from the intercooler and engine heat, the sprayed carbon dioxide will change from liquid to gas and dissipate.

That's what I've learned so far. I'm going to go the route of the water/methanol injection for the sake of not having to pull a bottle all the time and get it refilled. CO2 is just not as accessible for me.

A bag of ice on an intercooler melting is a little different then a some quick splashes of mist from a sprayer.

I wonder if it would be possible to make up a metal sheet for under the intercooler. Have it just far enough to have a gap so the hot air can escape the sides and also any water could sheild off the edge and not go into the spark plugs.

I wonder if it would be possible to make up a metal sheet for under the intercooler. Have it just far enough to have a gap so the hot air can escape the sides and also any water could sheild off the edge and not go into the spark plugs.

I'm sure it could be done, but it may not be easy/feasible. i haven't pulled my IC off, so i'm not positive on how the wires run for the plugs, or how the boots fit...

If you do the water/methanol injection you don't have to worry about the plugs/coils getting wet because all of the fluid would be injected into the intercooler, not on it.

Actually its injected into the intake manifold or some right before the throttle plate. Not before the intercooler. Im talking about intercooler sprayers. When there are nozels mounted to spray water on the intercooler itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back