Installing my header and midpipe...

Flash5

Corners > Straight Lines
:
2002 Mazda P5
Ok guys (and gals) I am going to be installing my tsudo header and sls midpipe this weekend. I just had a few questions going into it.

When removing the o2 sensor, did you use an o2 socket or did u just use an open wrench to get it off?

How were the spring loaded bolts when you took them off? Did they break off or were they seized at all? This is prolly my biggest worry right now outside of throwing a cel. (i am going to try the non-fouler trick)

Anything else i should be prepared for? Any advice would be much appreciated! The reason I am asking for any help is because when I was putting on my rb cat back the simple install turned into a 5+ hour hell that still haunts my dreams, so I just want to be prepared this time. I will put up a video at some point too.

lol if it took you 5+ hours for a catback your screwed... i did mine in literally about 20 minutes... anyway just unplug the o2s and i just used a big metric wrench... take them off after you pull the manifold and stuff not while they're on the car..make sure you have a NEW donut gasket for the header... that old one wont come off in good condition

edit: and about 7k miles on the header with non fouler and no CEL's

i should have mentioned the reason it took so long with the cat back was because a rusted bolt that got rounded and then two trips to get hardware, i wasnt under the car the entire time haha

Liquid wrench for the spring bolts!!! I strongly recommend it. That was the only thing i had problems with. I dont know how the spring bolt is suppose to come apart (its got two nuts) one came off one way and the other the opposite, so it was a bit difficult getting the header the slip on it. I did the whole install in about 1.5 hours in the freezing cold, so if you got a warm garage it should be easier. I used a crescent wrench for the o2 sensors. As mentioned above, get a new flex gasket. I got mine off in one piece but it was so stretched out that it leaks. Soak the spring bolts with liquid wrench a couple hours before you start.

I did this about this time last year...I had an impact, and I don't think I could have done it without one. I soaked the bolts in PB Blaster (I think it works better than Liquid Wrench) and bought new hardware for the spring bolts. I assume you have new gaskets for everything...if not, I would definitely do that. I assume the midpipe doesn't have the studs that the stock midpipe does, so you can probably just pick up a new set of nuts, bolts and lock washers at a hardware store. There's a header install thread somewhere...it's mostly common sense stuff. The nonfouler works great, btw. Good luck!

yea i have pb blaster and am going to soak the bolts i can get to a few days before

Need extra help? It'd be great to come up and meet you and help out...also to get your help in installing mine.

As for parts, I'd say make sure you at least have the new gaskets. I went all out and bought every nut/bolt I would need, just in case.

PB blaster the crap out of the spring bolts!!!!

I was laying under my car hovering trying to get em off

I had my feet planted against the passenger tire and literally lifted myself off the ground trying to break the bolts free

My car spent a few years up north, so, hooray for rust *FAIL*

As to the 02 sensors, i have an o2 sensor socket, but, you CAN do it with a cresent wrench.

Go read through the install how-to

You'll need to remove the fans off the radiator on the passenger side.

I can have my header out and swapped in under 30 minutes anymoer after doing it so many times myself. lol

also, make sure you've got 2 different extentions for the head studs. The ones on the far left are a little interesting. Gotta get em started with one extention, then go by hand with the longer extention i think

As mentioned also, get new gaskets for everything.

Buy an electric impact wrench. Really. Best thing i ever did. Oh yeah, and soak the bolts.

PB Blaster is your friend! Header was one of the greatest mods I did to my car other than removing vtcs and porting my intake mani. Also be sure to connect your egr before connecting to head. I know after I installed mine and did not install egr tube it was very difficult. Good luck on the install....

Also be sure to connect your egr before connecting to head. I know after I installed mine and did not install egr tube it was very difficult.

YES! That tube kicked my butt. I ended up doing a little trick with an air hammer to get it threaded, which i dont advise.

Also be sure to connect your egr before connecting to head. I know after I installed mine and did not install egr tube it was very difficult. Good luck on the install....

Ugh, I forgot about that...I don't even want to talk about it. That EGR was such a pain...

No, my EGR was a pain

Threads were stripped on 60% of the EGR nipple!

I had to cut off the 60% of stripped thread. Then machine a fitting that pressed inside and welded it to it, then, had to take a thread file to clean up what could be saved.

Then, it went on smooth as butter and sealed up

The OBX before the Ractive lined up perfect as well.

just take it slow, i rushed so many things i did to my car and ended up taking longer to get it done

make sure u have extra bolts if the stock ones are rusty, make sure u have the extra O2 senser hole on the sls midpipe blocked off

u might want to get a new donut gasket thing too cuz mine was tore up

Thanks for all the advice guys, the more i read your help the more worried I am about it just because i know how much of a hassle this can turn into. I have very bad luck with installing things in my car so hopefully this can be an exception!

I did not know there was a o2 bung on the midpipe!!!! The pics I have seen of it showed no bung (at least the catted ones). Do i have to buy a plug for it or could I get away with just plugging it with a bolt that wont go deep?

CTt3P5, I think I am doing the install at like 11am friday, and I am going to guess you prolly have work then? If we can't meet then I can come up and help you put yours on, this is all saying I can get mine on haha.

Ok im gonna go soak all my bolts in pb blaster now!!!

it took me 3 times before i was finally able to install my header. lol

And since then, i have removed my header probably half dozen times

Went from stock to OBX

then from OBX to stock for warranty work

then back to OBX

then OBX off cause of drone

then Stock off for attempted Ractive install only to fail -found out EGR was stripped, so, put stock back on.

Pulled stock to attempt number 2 to put on Ractive after having EGR fixed and 02 bung welded in BUT Realized 02 bung on Ractive header is SMACK DAB beside oil pan, so, stock went back on.

Then found out I am fine to run without 2nd 02 sensor till i can have a new 02 bung welded in the midpipe.

Then, just removed Ractive for stock for more warranty work, and Ractive is back on again

I hear ya on the hassle part....it's those damn rusty bolts we have to contend with. It took me approx an hour to change out my axleback. After spraying it and trying to get the bolts off with no luck I finally drove to Meineke and they cut them off.

This is actually my Friday off.....if you'd like to, shoot me a pm and we can discuss there.

My axleback required a cutting torch

I attempted to put the magnaflow on myself, and, well, no Dice. had to have the mechanic cut my old exhaust off and install the magnaflow

If you have additional bolts and springs and nuts, have an angle grinder handy cause if they won't budge, give ema little "encouragement"

Back