Installed LED fog bezel and LED switchback in 2016 CX-5

:
2016 CX-5
Not a big fan of the OEM double horizontal bars bezel above the foglights so I removed them and

Installed fog LED bezels $45/pair (ebay) in 2016 CX-5, these will not fit if you have the LED fog options, the diameters don't match

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Removed 2016 OEM fog bezel and replaced with CX-5 LED bezel :

308xsig.jpg

16ixu6e.jpg

no shroud HID foglights from Mazda2 ebay:

they are properly aimed so there's no glare
these really light up the ground unlike my friend's tiny little 2016.5 LED fogs (those are laughable, hardly any illumination),

x0zk0o.jpg

2v1q0xz.jpg

dw546u.jpg

21cs9p1.jpg

5ytbbd.jpg

jijmo2.jpg

25zi6h5.jpg

oh4h3p.jpg

Installed LED switchback, need to install load resistor unless you don't mind hyperflashing

foj4ie.jpg

euiot0.jpg

33f3mo6.jpg

need to remove 3 panel fasteners and bend back wheel well plastic panel to access front turn signal bulb

s3zxts.jpg

2r7mwjo.jpg

video of switchback LED, these are the newer generation switchbacks so there's no white light when the yellow light flashes, the white light comes on like 2 or 3 seconds after the yellow light stops flashing, the white light does not come on at all when the yellow light flashes which is what most drivers want unlike the previous generation switchbacks.

Last edited:
The light pattern is a preference, it's not about old or new. Never thought about removing the trim to get to the bulb, that would have made it much easier wiring the resistor. Luckily my hand fit in..

The light pattern is a preference, it's not about old or new. Never thought about removing the trim to get to the bulb, that would have made it much easier wiring the resistor. Luckily my hand fit in..

Agreed, personal preference, but I hate my switchback pattern when flashing yellow-white-yellow-white-yellow, I prefer the one in tomcat's video yellow-off-yellow-off-yellow-off

I checked mine from a distance and it's not as easy to see the yellow turn signal with the white on, I think that's why when I see Audi's turn signals on, their white DRL LED strip turns off so it's easier to see the yellow turn signal
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?359934-DRLs-Turn-Off-When-Turn-Signals-Used

damn that LED bezel looks sweet, it won't fit my car though, I have the smaller diameter LED foglights, I have to agree, the OEM LED fog doesn't really light up the road very far, just the foreground, I haven't even checked yet what I need to do in case the LED bulbs goes out, I hope it won;t be expensive.

Last edited:
Never thought about removing the trim to get to the bulb, that would have made it much easier wiring the resistor.
Actually that's the standard instruction outlined in the owner's manual for replacing the front turn signal / parking light bulb. The space is still pretty tight though.

Hope you can move this thread into "How To" section.

Agreed, personal preference, but I hate my switchback pattern when flashing yellow-white-yellow-white-yellow, I prefer the one in tomcat's video yellow-off-yellow-off-yellow-off

I checked mine from a distance and it's not as easy to see the yellow turn signal with the white on, I think that's why when I see Audi's turn signals on, their white DRL LED strip turns off so it's easier to see the yellow turn signal
Actually the front turn signals have to be flashing in an amber-off-amber-off manner even at night with headlights on in Europe and other countries due to European safety regulations for the reason you just described. Disabling the same side of DRL when the front turn signal is flashing is also under Euro safety regulations for the same reason as many DRLs use the amber front parking lights as the DRLs in the old days.

I use this simple mod to make my LED headlight equipped front turn signals acting like the Euro way, the amber front turn signals don't mix with dim amber front parking lights and it flashes in an amber-off-amber-off manner even if the headlights are on:

Simplest Mod for Your 2016 CX-5 Front Turn Signals with LED Lightings

Does no company make these switchback LED bulbs that don't need to install a load resistor? Or a resistor inside the housing of the LED build assembly?

Does no company make these switchback LED bulbs that don't need to install a load resistor? Or a resistor inside the housing of the LED build assembly?
You need a load resistor to compensate different resistance between original incandescent bulb and LED as the flasher relay is designed only to handle the incandescent bulbs. You can replace the flasher relay with a one designed for LEDs, but the problem is nobody knows where the flasher relay is if there's one in CX-5! The heat dissipation of load resistor will be a major issue if you make the resistor build-in.

damn, those look slick, nice job, how do you remove the OEM bezels ?

thanks, they're held in by molded plastic "hook" tabs, do not try to remove them by prying them out from the front, you may damage your paint,
remove the bottom panels under the fog lights then reach from underneath and feel for the tabs and angle them so the "hooks" release from the bumper and then they come out very easily, there's like 8 tabs.

you can see the tabs in the eBay photos:

note the LED's come with waterproof connectors and they were a little big for them to pass thru the bumper cutouts so I had to cut a slit into the existing bumber cutout to feed them thru, not alot maybe 1/2" slit to pop them thru.

Last edited:
but the problem is nobody knows where the flasher relay is if there's one in CX-5!
Maybe, we should follow the clicker sound, to find it.
The clicking sound of turn signal is from audio speakers as its volume is adjustable. I suspect the flashing function is handled by one of the many electronic modules with audio system and there's no traditional electro-mechanical flasher relay. That's why Mazda hasn't changed the turn-signals to LEDs like almost everything else on lightings, including the latest 2nd-gen CX-9, as the change is involved more than just replacing a LED compatible flasher relay.

The clicking sound of turn signal is from audio speakers as its volume is adjustable. I suspect the flashing function is handled by one of the many electronic modules with audio system and there's no traditional electro-mechanical flasher relay. That's why Mazda hasn't changed the turn-signals to LEDs like almost everything else on lightings, including the latest 2nd-gen CX-9, as the change is involved more than just replacing a LED compatible flasher relay.

Correct, it's controlled by the body control module.

Attachments

• cx5 flasher.jpg
    cx5 flasher.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 14,075
I am very intrigued with what you have done. Looks very good! I bought a wrecked 2016 CX-5 Touring a few months ago and need to make a decision regarding what to do with headlights (would LOVE to upgrade to LED headlights but don't know if that's possible, I would modify fog fairings and add switchback as an alternative).

1. What color/shade of HID are you running for low beam? How different is it from the switchback?

2. How do you hook up the LED's in the fairings? Do they replace the DRL/high beam? Or did you splice wires and make them run together?

I am very intrigued with what you have done. Looks very good! I bought a wrecked 2016 CX-5 Touring a few months ago and need to make a decision regarding what to do with headlights (would LOVE to upgrade to LED headlights but don't know if that's possible, I would modify fog fairings and add switchback as an alternative).

1. What color/shade of HID are you running for low beam? How different is it from the switchback?

2. How do you hook up the LED's in the fairings? Do they replace the DRL/high beam? Or did you splice wires and make them run together?

1) 6000k Sportiva gold series 55w instant on hid from eBay, matches very well, the pictures make the switchback more violet than it really is.

2) The LED fairings came with it's own wiring harness to the battery then there's two triggers wires one for full bright and one for reduced bright, I only hooked up the full bright wire to drivers side parking light wire the brown and white OEM wire, the yellow wire is the turn signal wire. I hooked up the oem side parking yellow first the led fairing was flashing with the turn signals then I switched to the brown and white and the led was full bright with parking lights on.

Last edited:
1) 6000k Sportiva gold series 55w instant on hid from eBay, matches very well, the pictures make the switchback more violet than it really is.

2) The LED fairings came with it's own wiring harness to the battery then there's two triggers wires one for full bright and one for reduced bright, I only hooked up the full bright wire to drivers side parking light wire the brown and white OEM wire, the yellow wire is the turn signal wire. I hooked up the oem side parking yellow first the led fairing was flashing with the turn signals then I switched to the brown and white and the led was full bright with parking lights on.

Glad to see it matches 6000K. That's what I was thinking of getting anyways.

Have you considered LED headlights? I am thinking about going this route as I have had problems with HID's in the past.

Glad to see it matches 6000K. That's what I was thinking of getting anyways.

Have you considered LED headlights? I am thinking about going this route as I have had problems with HID's in the past.

Never tried the aftermarket LED type yet, I heard those with the little fans at the back of the bulbs aren't very reliable and when the fans fail the LEDs fail, also the light output isn't as bright as HID but that was a while ago maybe the technology had improved.

Never tried the aftermarket LED type yet, I heard those with the little fans at the back of the bulbs aren't very reliable and when the fans fail the LEDs fail, also the light output isn't as bright as HID but that was a while ago maybe the technology had improved.

I forgot to ask. What did you do for DRL's? Can you post a picture of the DRL's and led fog bezel on?

I forgot to ask. What did you do for DRL's? Can you post a picture of the DRL's and led fog bezel on?

ah, yes, the DRL's I left them as the ugly yellow 9005's , I much prefer LED white for the DRL's

but safety trumps vanity and I like the brightness of the OEM high beams

in case I need to signal other drivers to let them in during merging or 4 way stops to let them go first

or to high beam slow pokes in the wrong lane.

I haven't seen a high and low current 9005 LED bulb , I don't think it can be done, so I just stayed with halogen 9005.

I'll take a pic tonight.

there are these zXe from Sylvania, but they are pricey, and nowhere near LED white, I might try if they're on sale

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Back