CX-5 Infotainment Screen Lockout while driving

Hi all, I have a 2019 CX5 and the only thing stopping me from buying a new one is the touch control lock-out while driving. Has Mazda ever thought about removing that? My Ford and BMW both allow it, and I find it much safer than spinning the wheel to move around the screen.

touch is gone on the cx5
Really, well I guess that will help remove the desire to touch the screen. But so many other manufacturers allow it. For me, the lack of touch is a safety issue, I spend a lot of time spinning the wheel and trying to figure out which field is hilited. Using carplay, I can navigate so much faster my other vehicles by touch. Things like selected a radio station while in Carplay is just annoying.

That said, so far all of the infotainment systems are annoying mostly because of the poor response time and bugs that occur..while driving of course.

Spend some more time with the system. A combination of muscle memory, tactile feedback and use of peripheral vision is much, much safer than taking your eyes off the road to refocus on the infotainment display, tap where you want on the screen, then get your eyes back on the road and refocus again. I believe this was the design intent when they removed touch capability and moved the display closer to the windshield in the Mazda3.

Spend some more time with the system. A combination of muscle memory, tactile feedback and use of peripheral vision is much, much safer than taking your eyes off the road to refocus on the infotainment display, tap where you want on the screen, then get your eyes back on the road and refocus again. I believe this was the design intent when they removed touch capability and moved the display closer to the windshield in the Mazda3.
Exactly. It's easy to navigate and you never really take your eyes off the road.
I've had my oldest CX-5 for 7 years now and never had a problem navigating with the wheel.

Muscle memory doesn't happen if it is a second car that I only drive occasionally. I find it very annoying not having that access while driving. It is my wife's vehicle. I am pretty sure when we first got it that the touch DID work while driving(2019) and somewhere along the way it stopped. May have been an update a t dealership.

I am pretty sure when we first got it that the touch DID work while driving(2019) and somewhere along the way it stopped. May have been an update a t dealership.
Nope. My 2019 disables touch as soon as the shifter is moved out of park.

The control wheel is actually quite intuitive. Scroll wheel, “cursor” moves (more of a “next icon gets selected” thing).

I haven’t had to look down at the wheel after the first few times using it.

Despite mean time between use, it’s simple enough to not miss a touch screen. Ever (IMO).

Back