Guide Infotainment issues? Slow booting? Rebooting? Sluggish performance?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
If your infotainment system is acting strangely, the problems that you are having are likely a result of poor connectivity between the infotainment system and the Sat NAV SD card. The system uses info from the SD card in the boot process and if that info gets corrupted the system becomes unstable or inoperative. Cold weather can exacerbate the issue.

The problem could simply be that the connections between the SD card and the card reader are marginal because of oxidation of the metal connections. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Intermittent.

What to do?

If you're having issues the easiest method of determining where the problem is coming from is to, with the car off, eject the Nav SD card from the vehicles card reader and see how the system reacts. Obviously the Nav system will be inoperative with the card removed but you can check to see how fast the system boots without the card present and if music plays properly.

(Be cautious with your SD card and static electricity. Static and electronics don't play well together)

If you find that your issues with the system are now resolved, great! Follow the next step.

Again, with the car off eject the SD card. Get yourself a pencil with an eraser and carefully rub the contacts on the card. Brush off the residue and reinsert the card into the reader. Test the system out. This may resolve your issues or it may not. Using a pencil eraser in this way can remove the oxidation from the cards contacts but it does noting for the contacts inside the reader.

Try this. Get yourself some safe for plastics contact cleaner.

Like this. (I have no affiliation with this company but I've used this stuff for years and it works great)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

With the car off eject the SD card. Apply contact cleaner to the contacts on the card. Insert the card into the reader. Eject it and reinsert. Do that a few times so that the contact cleaner from the card transfers to the contacts inside of the reader. Don't use too much cleaner.

Now leave the card in the reader and test.

If this works for you, please report your results here.

Last edited:
I don't even have the stock stereo, but from Kenwood experiences, I know that it is a good idea to make a copy of the SD card, just in case, that it gets corrupted down the road.

Not even sure how to release the SD card. There is nothing to grip or press I found.
My info system non android auto will make phantom selections such as change radio stations and thumbs down my favs on Pandora. It is very annoying . Has my system been hacked?

Not even sure how to release the SD card. There is nothing to grip or press I found.
My info system non android auto will make phantom selections such as change radio stations and thumbs down my favs on Pandora. It is very annoying . Has my system been hacked?
The SD card he's talking about is the Sat Nav card.
If you don't have Sat Nav, then this thread doesn't apply.
If you have the Mazda navigation system, then the card is located in the centre arm console in the cubby hole under the flip up arm rest.
It's spring loaded, so just pushing it in will make it pop loose.

The SD card he's talking about is the Sat Nav card.
If you don't have Sat Nav, then this thread doesn't apply.
If you have the Mazda navigation system, then the card is located in the centre arm console in the cubby hole under the flip up arm rest.
It's spring loaded, so just pushing it in will make it pop loose.

Thanks Buzz, I'll edit my post above to clarify that I'm talking about the NAV card.

I ended up just replacing my NAV card for $40 and that has seemed to fix my rebooting issue, at least for now anyway.

Well the SD Nav card is back in my 2019 CX-5 GT/PP. The card was out for a month and had no problems with the Sirius XM. I cleaned the contacts with the eraser and some contact cleaner. Ran the SD card in and out a few times, where I could see the contact points touching the card. I did notice a beep sound when using the navigation, not sure I heard that before. I will report any new problems when they happen.

I also called Mazda North America and asked about SA: 047/19. The CS person said they are still working on the problem with Mazda Japan and North America and Sirius XM.

I ended up just replacing my NAV card for $40 and that has seemed to fix my rebooting issue, at least for now anyway.
Don't see why you would buy a new card as this is a Mazda issue and should last longer than they are. Would make the dealer eat that cost.

Quick side note and reminder...A few recent posts were going in a negative direction and have been removed. Please remember that threads here are meant to be Fun, Friendly and Informative (and On Topic as well). Not doing so may mean you're violating site rules and policies and that could lead to your account being permanently banned.

Now let's keep this Guide Thread on topic and on track, thank you.

Well the SD Nav card is back in my 2019 CX-5 GT/PP. The card was out for a month and had no problems with the Sirius XM. I cleaned the contacts with the eraser and some contact cleaner. Ran the SD card in and out a few times, where I could see the contact points touching the card. I did notice a beep sound when using the navigation, not sure I heard that before. I will report any new problems when they happen.

I also called Mazda North America and asked about SA: 047/19. The CS person said they are still working on the problem with Mazda Japan and North America and Sirius XM.
Well it's April 8 and I have to report I have had no problems with Sirius XM since cleaning the contact points on the NAV card.

I did see someone say there is a new update coming soon.

My GPS SD card in CX5 acted up occasionally.
Tried cleaning and it seemed to work for a few days.
It then came back often.
Bought the DetoxIt as Conrad suggested.
No go.
Eventually, it just kept dying and rebooting.

Bought a new SD card from Amazon for $50. It looked genuine ... but I am no expert on that.
It worked well.

Note that, these cards can only be initialized ONCE.
You cannot use a SD card from other Mazda if it has been registered by the other GPS system.
I tried to use card from my Mazda6, it plain rejected it by saying so.

I've had this issue where the infotainment will reboot once about 5 minutes after start-up, but then be ok. After following the suggested steps (does appear to be an issue with the navigation card, tried pencil eraser, tried DetoxIT), the issue is not resolving itself.

What are the suggested next steps? Does this require service at a dealership for updated software? Do I just need a new SD card, and if so where is a good place to get one? Can I copy files from the existing SD card onto a new one? etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

i was having an issue with my system rebooting pretty much every time i was in the car. i turned off Connected Services in the menu and my problems went away. no rebooting, going on 2 months now. i use AA, so this had no impact on me. one minor pain in the butt - i now get a warning message stating that connected services is off but 'emergency call' is still available every time i start the car. IMO, it's better than dealing with the reboot.

I've had this issue where the infotainment will reboot once about 5 minutes after start-up, but then be ok. After following the suggested steps (does appear to be an issue with the navigation card, tried pencil eraser, tried DetoxIT), the issue is not resolving itself.

What are the suggested next steps? Does this require service at a dealership for updated software? Do I just need a new SD card, and if so where is a good place to get one? Can I copy files from the existing SD card onto a new one? etc.

Have you ever updated your SD card using your computer and Mazda ToolBox? If so, you should have created a back-up of the cards data, it's an option when you update the card.

You should be able to use a brand-new card (of the appropriate size) and after formatting (Fat32) you should be able to use the ToolBox to create a new card, it'll only work in the original vehicle.

As you know I'm a big fan of DeoxIT and I use it on all my devices that have contacts and that can benefit from its use. The other day I was in my MX-5 and using the Nav. It was working fine while on my way to Chicago's Midway airport. All of a sudden, the Nav screen went blank and then a screen popped up telling me that it was 'loading Navigation'. WTF? It tried loading the nav for 10 mins before I decided that I needed to do something. I wanted to eject the card and reinsert it a few times to see if that would fix the issue, but I didn't want to do it while the car was running. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depends how you look at it) just at that moment I saw that the traffic had come to a standstill ahead, because of construction, surprise! I shut the car off for a moment, ejected the card and reinserted it a couple of times. After restarting all was once again well in Mazda navigation land. I used it a few times since then and, for now, it's working fine.

Perhaps you should try, with the car off, ejecting and reinserting the card several times? Maybe the contacts are still marginal as far as connections are concerned? Something to try anyways.

Try a new SD card (from dealer for $400 or from Amazon for $50). It works for many, me included.
I tried DetoxIT (per suggestion from Conrad), and everything else I could think of.
SD card has lifespan limit (read/write times). When it is time, it retires itself... might not be bad contacts. Happened to the SD card in my dashcam also. A new SD card solved occasional read/write error problem after several years of use.

Have you ever updated your SD card using your computer and Mazda ToolBox? If so, you should have created a back-up of the cards data, it's an option when you update the card.

You should be able to use a brand-new card (of the appropriate size) and after formatting (Fat32) you should be able to use the ToolBox to create a new card, it'll only work in the original vehicle.

As you know I'm a big fan of DeoxIT and I use it on all my devices that have contacts and that can benefit from its use. The other day I was in my MX-5 and using the Nav. It was working fine while on my way to Chicago's Midway airport. All of a sudden, the Nav screen went blank and then a screen popped up telling me that it was 'loading Navigation'. WTF? It tried loading the nav for 10 mins before I decided that I needed to do something. I wanted to eject the card and reinsert it a few times to see if that would fix the issue, but I didn't want to do it while the car was running. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depends how you look at it) just at that moment I saw that the traffic had come to a standstill ahead, because of construction, surprise! I shut the car off for a moment, ejected the card and reinserted it a couple of times. After restarting all was once again well in Mazda navigation land. I used it a few times since then and, for now, it's working fine.

Perhaps you should try, with the car off, ejecting and reinserting the card several times? Maybe the contacts are still marginal as far as connections are concerned? Something to try anyways.
Yeah, I did everything with the engine off and coated the contacts several times pressing in and out many times. I've never updated the card from my date of purchase. I'm not sure now that it's out of warranty I can still use the ToolBox, but something to try.

@ceric...$50 sounds alot better than $400 (yikes!).

Try a new SD card (from dealer for $400 or from Amazon for $50). It works for many, me included.
I tried DetoxIT (per suggestion from Conrad), and everything else I could think of.
SD card has lifespan limit (read/write times). When it is time, it retires itself... might not be bad contacts. Happened to the SD card in my dashcam also. A new SD card solved occasional read/write error problem after several years of use.

SD cards have a lifespan limit? It's purely an electrical device with no moving parts. If the device isn't being constantly removed and reinserted, how does it wear out? Do the electrons get tired and refuse to cooperate or what?

I have SD cards that I use in my cameras that are several years old and have been removed and reinserted many a time. They work perfectly and show no signs of wearing out.

YMMV

Back