Info on a DTC P1640 code? 2019 CX-5 2.2L Diesel

Hi everyone..

First post, so hopefully this is the right section! I did a search for my DTC codes but nothing came up....

2019 2.2D [184] GT Sport Nav+ AWD in a very nice Machine Grey - based in Bedfordshire, UK.

So, a few days ago, my Check Engine light came on, and a report from an ODB-II scanner revealed a code P24C6 which I tracked down to do with the particulate filter. I ran a bottle of CataClean through the system, as per the instructions, but the MIL light remains on.

A further check of the ODB-II codes now reveals the P24C6 has gone, but I now have a P1640 code, but this is being reported across a number of different ECU Modules. The message reads:

Powertrain DTCs Available in Another Module
Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear

The same message shows in
Engine Control Unit (4 times)
Transmission Control Unit
Dashboard
Access System
Adaptive headlights
SRS/Airbag
Driver Seat

I have managed to find out that P1640 breaks down to P = Powertrain, 1 = Manufacturing code, 6 = Computer Output, 40 = error code. But I can't find any info on the error code itself, or what the test is it refers to. I suspect this is something I am going to need a Mazda dealer to plug in the M-MDS computer, but I thought I would exhaust all possible research options before I do!!

Has anyone come across this code before?

I have come across some possible info around drive cycles, but can't find what a drive cycle for my specific vehicle, so I suppose it is possible that the condition will clear once a drive cycle has completed.. ?

Thanks everyone!
Darren

...So, a few days ago, my Check Engine light came on, and a report from an ODB-II scanner revealed a code P24C6 which I tracked down to do with the particulate filter. I ran a bottle of CataClean through the system, as per the instructions, but the MIL light remains on...

Hello Daz69,

Here in the US we have a tsb for that code ...

Technical Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171841-0001.pdf

Check that out and see if that matches up to your situation.

I don't know what OBDii scanner you use but have you tried forSCAN app for your mobile device? Very powerful tool.

Thank HyFlyer

The scanner I got was not compatible with FORScan, but have ordered one that is now...

As a backup have also booked in with the garage for them to run diagnostics - for which they want £150.

The TSB was an interesting read and pretty much matches my experience, so if it does need to go into the shop, I have something to ask them about!

Thanks again!

So, new VSLinker FS module arrived and successfully connected up to car and laptop - way more data that the basic BT one I got before...

Interestingly, there is still a P24C6 DTC being reported, but that is not showing on the basic ODB module.

There's lots to pick through and look at, but it seems I can run a PM regeneration process on the car, amongst other things... So that's tonight's job and see what happens then...

OK, so ran the PM regen service procedure, cleared out learned values and reset the DTCs again, but still have the error...

A mechanically minded friend has suggested that the sensor might need removing and the soot burning off.

Any suggestions as to where I actually find the sensor?

I'm also going to take it for a long run over the weekend to see if a sustained journey would help...

Hi Daz69

Did you manage to sort the P1640 code out because the same code has appeared on my cx5. Try to erase with ODB but the engine light stays on!!!! Any help would be great 👍

Hi @pemm
Well, I just heard back from the garage on this...

They concur it's the PM Temp Sensor but they want > £1200 to fix it!
£150 for the diagnostics, plus the sensor (> £600??!!), plus regen, plus oil and filter change!

Does your ODB just show the P1640? The basic one I bought did, but then the vLinker FS showed more details and confirmed it was the PM sensor

Hi @pemm
Well, I just heard back from the garage on this...

They concur it's the PM Temp Sensor but they want > £1200 to fix it!
£150 for the diagnostics, plus the sensor (> £600??!!), plus regen, plus oil and filter change!

Does your ODB just show the P1640? The basic one I bought did, but then the vLinker FS showed more details and confirmed it was the PM sensor
that’s a lot of money. Thanks for the info. I have a isoftcar Pro so will look at doing it myself

I have the same car here do you know what PM sensor it is or do u have the part number would be much appreciate

Here's the TSB ...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171841-0001.pdf

Here's some online workshop manual info ...

https://mazdamanuals.com.au/wsm-secure/WSM/D9K4-1A-21B_Ver13/esicont/srvc/html/id0140z7825900.html

There are very specific directions for the repair to follow.

But you would still have to visit your Mazda dealer for reprogramming the SCR dosing unit control module so it ignores temporary readings of PM temperature sensor out of range.

Back