Impressions of the CX-50

I love Mazda and my intention isn't to simp for MT here, but I do think some of their comments ring true to be honest. Particularly for buyers who are going to directly cross-shop this with a Subaru I think many of those shoppers are going to come away thinking the CX-50 rides harshly and feels darty in direct comparison. Mazda engineers have a clear commitment to attaining certain vehicle dynamics and handling targets for every vehicle in their lineup but their focus feels out of step with what buyers in these categories actually care about. The Outback will feel a little more comfortable and have a little more usable space in the back and that will carry the day for them 90% of the time.

Antoine

Administrator
Will take delivery of my Mazda CX-50 Premium Plus Pkg. April 2nd. Could not be happier with the upgrade from CX 5.
Was told by my dealer that I was about the 1st buyer in the Tampa Bay area.
Congratulations! You might be the first to have one here…You could have the first “New CX-50 Owner” thread…😁

MetroMike

2023 Mazda CX 50 Premium Plus Polymetal Gray
As I have been driving the CX-50 Premium Plus I noticed some odd options that don't always translate up to the Turbo base model such as power folding side mirrors, ventilated seats.
I have the Head Up Display on my windshield but there is no Sign Recognition on mine as I had with my old 2018 CX-5. Not what I was expecting but I will deal with it.

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
As I have been driving the CX-50 Premium Plus I noticed some odd options that don't always translate up to the Turbo base model such as power folding side mirrors, ventilated seats.
I have the Head Up Display on my windshield but there is no Sign Recognition on mine as I had with my old 2018 CX-5. Not what I was expecting but I will deal with it.
For sign recognition, you need a GPS SD card. You can get one from dealer for $350 or Amazon for $50. Don't ask me which one is genuine.... you decide.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
I got to see one in person today at an art festival partially sponsored by the local Mazda dealer. I didn’t have high expectations and I went into it with Mazda’s “built for the outdoor adventure” marketing in my head.

I wasn’t really feeling the outdoors angle at all to be honest. I really like the styling of the exterior, but I wasn’t thinking the interior was any more durable than previous Mazda models. I prefer my mother in laws 2018 CX-5 interior styling over the CX-50 to be honest. I found the seats just kind of plain. They didn’t seem to have that premium look the Cx-5 had. And there’s something about my RAV4’s SofTex and interior that I find more rugged and durable. Maybe it’s because my Toyota is cheaper looking inside? The slightly bumpy texture vs smooth plastic? I don’t know.

Do any CX-50 trims come with painted wheel well cladding? I hope so, I’m digging that on my RAV4 Hybrid XSE and I hope Mazda offers that for the CX-50.

Anyway, I was a little confused after seeing it in person. It’s a great SUV but I felt like the outdoor marketing was off. My RAV4 gives me that feeling, but the Cx-50 didn’t. I am looking forward to future electrification plans though. It will be a real contender to replace my ‘13 CX-5 down the road if they electrify it in some manner.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
The Meridian edition of CX-50 likely will be more for off-roading.
I only know that it has 17" wheels.
That makes more sense. I went back and checked the marketing and articles, and it sounds like they’re selling an off-road mode really hard for the CX-50 in general. It sounds like clever programming in conjunction with the vectoring system. 20” wheels don’t scream rugged or off-road to me.Ride height and an airy cabin do :D

I didn’t really like the 19” wheels on my ‘19 RAV4 XLE Premium for soft-roading, and I’m glad my ‘21 Hybrid XSE has the 18”. It was a blast to drive in Bankhead National Forest even with the stock Michelin Primacy tires. It ran on EV only for at least three or four miles in and back out. I’m stoked if Mazda can bring that feeling to the Cx-50 with future electrification updates!

Latest posts