Illuminated Grille

Hey everyone. My wife recently hit a deer with her 2021 CX-9 which damaged the front grille. I’m looking for replacement parts and seeing some grille light bars that evidentially were on some models. It would be nice to upgrade to these when I do the grille replacement. What’s all involved with adding them if it wasn’t previously equipped? Is there a harness that exists in that area that they plug in to?

Sorry for the late response. Looks like there may be provisions for it on the fog light harness. There is a white plug on the fog light that goes nowhere. Try putting a multimeter on it and see if it’s powered. Wiring diagrams look to have a plug there that continues on to the signature lighting. Good place for it too since you have to access that area for bumper removal anyway. I am looking at the diagrams on my phone though so…

The light bars are powered thru the fog lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_110454.jpg
    IMG_20180929_110454.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 211
Is it me or is that illuminated grill is very subtle? I know it’s there but i have never noticed the illuminated grill on any CX-9 i have seen on the road. I have a GT so mine doesn’t have that function.

Is it me or is that illuminated grill is very subtle? I know it’s there but i have never noticed the illuminated grill on any CX-9 i have seen on the road. I have a GT so mine doesn’t have that function.
There have been about 150k CX-9s sold in the US since 2016. Canada has about 24.5k sold in the same timeframe. I just checked CarFax for the entire US, and Signature trims make up about 12% of those for sale. Might be a bad extrapolation but this is the internet and not math class. 18,750 signatures in the US and only ~3,000 in Canada. Not super common. I agree with you, that I have never noticed an illuminated grille. I’ve probably only seen a handful of signatures though. The videos I found on YouTube make the illumination look fairly bright so maybe it just isn’t on all the time?

On my 2018, the grille is lit up when the parking lights are on (setting between OFF and ON). 80% of my driving is with only the parking lights on. The grille lighting isn't really noticeable in the sunlight, but on a cloudy or overcast day, they are more visible. The headlight DRLs are slightly brighter than the grille lighting.

I don't think I've ever seen another Signature in person here.

On my 2018, the grille is lit up when the parking lights are on (setting between OFF and ON). 80% of my driving is with only the parking lights on. The grille lighting isn't really noticeable in the sunlight, but on a cloudy or overcast day, they are more visible. The headlight DRLs are slightly brighter than the grille lighting.

I don't think I've ever seen another Signature in person here.
This is giving me ideas of adding my own grille lighting… not on with DRL though?

This is giving me ideas of adding my own grille lighting… not on with DRL though?

I'm in Canada. On the GT and Signature trims, the LED "eyebrows" are the DRLs. They are always on. The actual lowbeam headlights only come on when the headlights are switched on.

DRL are mandatory in Canada, we don’t have the option to turn them off.

Does the grille light up when your lights are on “Auto” ? I personally never use the parking light and just leave them on Auto.

DRL are mandatory in Canada, we don’t have the option to turn them off.

Does the grille light up when your lights are on “Auto” ? I personally never use the parking light and just leave them on Auto.

I'm not sure, I never use "Auto" lol. I would go out to check, but it's -42c with the windchill right now 🥶

I'm not sure, I never use "Auto" lol. I would go out to check, but it's -42c with the windchill right now 🥶

Holy S**t, -42℃, can't imagine how cold that is . . . here in PNW, it's 42℉, no wind, no snow, just light shower all night through.

Back