If you owned a '13, would you upgrade to a '16?

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
My dealer called and wants to get me into the new model for the same payment. I've heard this pitch before but I'm just curious what others think. I bought mine as a CPO to save money back in '14. It was a rental so it's got some scuffs here and there. The '13 infotainment has been mostly annoying to me and I've debated installing an aftermarket unit. I've had a CX-5 as a loaner and the new system is a lot better. I tow with my CX9 so I'd have to transfer over the 7 pin harness and hitch. How does the turbo handle hauling 2,000-3,000lbs? I see there are a lot of other new features but I think my budget would stick me square in the "Touring" trim package which is what I have now, but I do have some "must haves" like leather, heated seats, backup camera, backup sensors.

jcpharm

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD/ 2016 CX-9 GT AWD
the towing is rated only up to 3500 lbs so if i were you i would probably hold off or look elsewhere. if you didn't have the towing need, i would probably pull the trigger....but i'm biased because i already have pulled the trigger. ;)

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
That's the same as my '13 rating though. I'm not the kind of driver that is in a hurry to get somewhere when I'm towing my camper. As long as it isn't going to overheat I'm happy cruising along in the right lane. I imagine the turbo will actually perform better at higher altitudes too...but since I'm on the east coast I don't usually have that problem.

:
2013 CX-9 Grand Touring
I do own a 2013GT and would not upgrade to a 2016. Mostly because I wanted the Subaru Outback but this is my wife's vehicle.
We don't tow much with ours and to be honest I'm not as happy with it my own after 3 years and 95,000 miles. It's still comfortable but MPG have never been good and I hate the way traction control works. It is also quite a bit louder now but I do understand that this happens.

It has been a great vehicle though and we keep them until they are just about dead so she won't get a replacement for about 6 more years.

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
I do own a 2013GT and would not upgrade to a 2016. Mostly because I wanted the Subaru Outback but this is my wife's vehicle.
We don't tow much with ours and to be honest I'm not as happy with it my own after 3 years and 95,000 miles. It's still comfortable but MPG have never been good and I hate the way traction control works. It is also quite a bit louder now but I do understand that this happens.
I really wasn't expecting gas mileage for my '13 to be much better for a vehicle this size. My trip computer says average of 18.5 but every time I've measured at the pump the trip is down by 1 to 1.5 mpg. So 20 mpg of mostly hwy and stop and go traffic isn't bad. I get 12-13 when towing and I'm curious as to whether the turbo could do a better job with that. However, buying a new car just to get a few extra mpg is not really mathematically frugal. It would take a lot of driving to make back the cost. So for me, it really comes down to the infotainment system and other interior improvements. I may upgrade, but perhaps I'll wait until these 2016 models show up on dealer lots as CPO.

Gtech

:
2015 CX-9 GT AWD
When I had my 13 sport my biggest gripe was the infotainment and lack of convenience/safety features. I debated on getting the 16 but opted for a 15 GT. Mazda had a nice rebate at the time so I jumped on it. Swapped out the radio with an Android Auto compatible unit and no major complaints.

tex2670

Grand Poobah
:
2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand
My dealer called and wants to get me into the new model for the same payment. I've heard this pitch before but I'm just curious what others think. I bought mine as a CPO to save money back in '14. It was a rental so it's got some scuffs here and there. The '13 infotainment has been mostly annoying to me and I've debated installing an aftermarket unit. I've had a CX-5 as a loaner and the new system is a lot better. I tow with my CX9 so I'd have to transfer over the 7 pin harness and hitch. How does the turbo handle hauling 2,000-3,000lbs? I see there are a lot of other new features but I think my budget would stick me square in the "Touring" trim package which is what I have now, but I do have some "must haves" like leather, heated seats, backup camera, backup sensors.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. I'm not a fan of jumping in and getting a car in the first model year. Whatever deal your dealer is trying to sell you on, there will be another deal to be had after this promotion is over--that's not the reason to pull the trigger. If the dealer is calling you out of the blue, it's for his benefit, not yours.

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2015
Living in the desert...

I'd wait for a better engine option and air conditioning system