If you owned a '13, would you upgrade to a '16?

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
My dealer called and wants to get me into the new model for the same payment. I've heard this pitch before but I'm just curious what others think. I bought mine as a CPO to save money back in '14. It was a rental so it's got some scuffs here and there. The '13 infotainment has been mostly annoying to me and I've debated installing an aftermarket unit. I've had a CX-5 as a loaner and the new system is a lot better. I tow with my CX9 so I'd have to transfer over the 7 pin harness and hitch. How does the turbo handle hauling 2,000-3,000lbs? I see there are a lot of other new features but I think my budget would stick me square in the "Touring" trim package which is what I have now, but I do have some "must haves" like leather, heated seats, backup camera, backup sensors.

the towing is rated only up to 3500 lbs so if i were you i would probably hold off or look elsewhere. if you didn't have the towing need, i would probably pull the trigger....but i'm biased because i already have pulled the trigger. ;)

That's the same as my '13 rating though. I'm not the kind of driver that is in a hurry to get somewhere when I'm towing my camper. As long as it isn't going to overheat I'm happy cruising along in the right lane. I imagine the turbo will actually perform better at higher altitudes too...but since I'm on the east coast I don't usually have that problem.

I do own a 2013GT and would not upgrade to a 2016. Mostly because I wanted the Subaru Outback but this is my wife's vehicle.
We don't tow much with ours and to be honest I'm not as happy with it my own after 3 years and 95,000 miles. It's still comfortable but MPG have never been good and I hate the way traction control works. It is also quite a bit louder now but I do understand that this happens.

It has been a great vehicle though and we keep them until they are just about dead so she won't get a replacement for about 6 more years.

I do own a 2013GT and would not upgrade to a 2016. Mostly because I wanted the Subaru Outback but this is my wife's vehicle.
We don't tow much with ours and to be honest I'm not as happy with it my own after 3 years and 95,000 miles. It's still comfortable but MPG have never been good and I hate the way traction control works. It is also quite a bit louder now but I do understand that this happens.
I really wasn't expecting gas mileage for my '13 to be much better for a vehicle this size. My trip computer says average of 18.5 but every time I've measured at the pump the trip is down by 1 to 1.5 mpg. So 20 mpg of mostly hwy and stop and go traffic isn't bad. I get 12-13 when towing and I'm curious as to whether the turbo could do a better job with that. However, buying a new car just to get a few extra mpg is not really mathematically frugal. It would take a lot of driving to make back the cost. So for me, it really comes down to the infotainment system and other interior improvements. I may upgrade, but perhaps I'll wait until these 2016 models show up on dealer lots as CPO.

When I had my 13 sport my biggest gripe was the infotainment and lack of convenience/safety features. I debated on getting the 16 but opted for a 15 GT. Mazda had a nice rebate at the time so I jumped on it. Swapped out the radio with an Android Auto compatible unit and no major complaints.

My dealer called and wants to get me into the new model for the same payment. I've heard this pitch before but I'm just curious what others think. I bought mine as a CPO to save money back in '14. It was a rental so it's got some scuffs here and there. The '13 infotainment has been mostly annoying to me and I've debated installing an aftermarket unit. I've had a CX-5 as a loaner and the new system is a lot better. I tow with my CX9 so I'd have to transfer over the 7 pin harness and hitch. How does the turbo handle hauling 2,000-3,000lbs? I see there are a lot of other new features but I think my budget would stick me square in the "Touring" trim package which is what I have now, but I do have some "must haves" like leather, heated seats, backup camera, backup sensors.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. I'm not a fan of jumping in and getting a car in the first model year. Whatever deal your dealer is trying to sell you on, there will be another deal to be had after this promotion is over--that's not the reason to pull the trigger. If the dealer is calling you out of the blue, it's for his benefit, not yours.

Living in the desert...

I'd wait for a better engine option and air conditioning system

Back